Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-03-22, 05:50 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Cool VF Sadhana, 2022 midyear

The VF sadhana habit over the years has been based on the idea of 40 days of some sort of "practice." It began mainly as yoga, possibly with some sort of reading or other study, but we can do other things too.

For example, this discussion will have no "requirements" about things like these:

- number of days (or consecutive days) intended or done
- starting or ending dates
- the type of activity done, which here need not be clearly "yoga"-ish
- posting (such as "commitment," number of posts, frequency, length, extent of replying to others...)

Welcome!

I meant to start this thread a bit later, after a bit more thought about what I'll be doing, but inadvertently started a different thread here and have edited this thread to start the sadhana.

I've been thinking about options already but haven't decided yet what I'll do (or other details). Thanks to a number of current physical limitations, it won't be very physically demanding.
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-22, 02:33 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

I've been having some problems (a number of medical problems and their effects) but have finally started a practuce period, for an intended 40 days from September 21 to October 30. The timing wasn't intended to align with anything, such as "beginning with the UN General Assembly" or "ending just before Halloween," but these dates do have a nice mnemonic fit: September 26 is day 6, and October 30 may be day 40.

Here I'm trying the kundalini basic spinal energy series without the full kundalini details; I actually first encountered a version of this series in a library book over 25 years ago (probably without any mention of kundalini there), and I appreciated how my body felt, particularly around my spine and back. It may be particularly helpful at a time when my physical abilities are limited. I've never tried this series daily for a prolonged period, and I want to see how I feel after. (Right now I'm doing a modified version seated in a chair, but I hope to be trying a more normal seated version soon. I also don't expect any further deterioration in my physical abilities during this time but have thought of other practice options if I'll need them.)

I've been following some written instructions and gradually increasing what I've been doing, with no difficulties so far. I'd originally considered following an online video, but I don't have the time, energy, or inclination to preview a lot of online videos to see which ones offer me precisely what I want. Because those written instructions gave me the idea of trying a gradual increase, no one video would correspond to this effort anyway.

I also found some reading and reflection things to do alongside.

(Don't expect frequent posts from me: even when my body were working more normally, I've never been drawn to frequent posting of this type. But I do plan to post at times before I'm done.)
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
Old 10-30-22, 11:08 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

I did 10 days of the kundalini spinal series, which I liked and have been appreciating more, and finished the rest with savasana because of fatigue and other problems. (I haven't posted an earlier update for similar reasons.) The reading and study have continued too, despite some other practical problems.

At some point, I hope to return to doing more of the spinal series--and in the usual sitting position, not only with a chair modification.

The loose concept of the sadhana is a useful mnemonic structure for me, and I'll probably begin another one soon. (I may or may not post about it.)
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit

Tags
sadhana, vf sadhana