Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-03-22, 06:10 AM  
geojill

Let me cycle back and ask if you looking for more of a fitness tracker or a smartwatch? I saw the features you mentioned in your original post. Are they sufficient or do you also want the additional features that would come with a smart watch?
Old 08-03-22, 05:19 PM  
adrien_73

Quote:
Originally Posted by geojill View Post
Let me cycle back and ask if you looking for more of a fitness tracker or a smartwatch? I saw the features you mentioned in your original post. Are they sufficient or do you also want the additional features that would come with a smart watch?
Thank you for asking!

These are most important:
  • counting steps
  • Overall activity
  • calorie burn
  • heart rate
  • Sleep
]

I really like fitbit's diet / calorie tracking feature and would love a device that is compatible with a similar type of app, and can factor activity with caloric intake recommendations. (Maybe I'm asking too much!) I can track my food on a separate app but would love if they could be integrated.

ETA:
I can't believe I forgot I had this! It's okay though not integrated with a diet app. It's not as accurate as my fitbit. Also, I sweat a LOT and the pieces on the back that connect it to the charger rusted. I don't think it has much life left...

Wyze Watch

For $30, I could always buy another but prefer something that will last longer.
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-22, 05:03 PM  
geojill

Adrien, it looks like you just need a basic fitness tracker, which is all I need/want as well. I currently have a Fitbit Sense and basically have all options that make it a smart watch turned off. I was looking around and it seems like so many companies are moving more towards smart watches. My company uses Virgin Pulse app with its employees and I earn up to $75/quarter by logging steps, etc. Over the weekend I will look and see what their app is compatible with and maybe that will give some ideas for what you might like. I will follow up here this weekend.
Old 08-05-22, 05:31 AM  
adrien_73

Quote:
Originally Posted by geojill View Post
Adrien, it looks like you just need a basic fitness tracker, which is all I need/want as well. I currently have a Fitbit Sense and basically have all options that make it a smart watch turned off. I was looking around and it seems like so many companies are moving more towards smart watches. My company uses Virgin Pulse app with its employees and I earn up to $75/quarter by logging steps, etc. Over the weekend I will look and see what their app is compatible with and maybe that will give some ideas for what you might like. I will follow up here this weekend.
Thank you so much for your help!

I can say that the Wyze watch I started using again will definitely not suffice. The app does not track daily calorie burn, only calories burned per workout. I don't think it is accurate either. It says I burn 800-900 calories for workouts that I usually burn 350-400!
Old 08-05-22, 08:56 AM  
kat999

This is not helpful because they don't make it or support the app anymore, but my favorite fitness tracker was a Jawbone that was just a coin-sized, no-display clip-on that you either put on your belt or kept in a pocket. It didn't have HR but tracked steps, exercise, and sleep, and instead of charging it it just used a watch battery that only needed replacing every four months or so. I had a cute little yellow mini case for it. First, the company stopped making them but the app still worked, and then that very abruptly stopped working. I was so sad; I'd cycled through several FitBits that were absolute garbage before I found the Jawbone and I loved that it was so crazy simple and unobtrusive.

I've moved on to an Apple Watch now and like it okay, but I still miss my Jawbone.
Old 08-06-22, 05:32 PM  
geojill

I think that the Garmin Vivosmart https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/782585 is probably closest to the Fitbit Charge (insert latest model). It does all the same things without venturing into the smart watch arena. It seems that all the other fitness trackers I have seen are more like a smart watch. I really wish that Fitbit Charge 3 was still sold and that Fitbits had a longer lifespan in general. Eons ago I had a Garmin tracker that used a watch battery, but it also didn’t have heart rate.
Old 08-07-22, 03:08 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

The only comment I have about the Garmin Vivosmart is that IIRC the band can't be replaced. When I was looking at other options being fed up with the Charge 3 I looked into the "vivo" series that was a negative for me. Yes, superficial, but I like to replace the bands and what do you do if the band breaks on the Vivosmart? This may have changed with later iterations of the Vivosmart.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-22, 06:48 PM  
adrien_73

I appreciate the recommendations and enjoyed reading everyone's experiences!

I am ashamed to admit how fickle I am...

I was in BJs today and they had a Fitbit Versa 2 marked down, and I caved! It is less than the Charge 5 and also counts flights of stairs. This was not a requirement for me but I try to integrate hills in my walks so I appreciate this data. I am going to hang the receipt on my fridge for when this one bites the dust! Then I will try the Vivosmart. (It was right next to the Fitbit and I was tempted by it...)

I am still going to wear my cheapo Wyze tracker until it stops working so I can compare metrics!
Old 08-07-22, 09:49 PM  
fatkat555

I have a knockoff watch called the HeroBand. My only complaint are that when you try to track your exercise the only options are: walking, running cycling, skipping, badminton (really?), basketball, football (I’m assuming this is soccer), and swimming. Therefore, it doesn’t track well for weight workouts or yoga, but it has heart rate, steps, blood pressure, oxygen saturation, weather, and a breathing tool for stress.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-22, 10:26 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

adrien_73 - Have you contacted FitBit CS? My Versa 3 started overheating after just over a year of use. I contacted Fitbit CS and after giving them the details & sending it back to them at their expense, they are sending me a new one. In the meantime, I got a good deal a Charge 5 on Prime day as I’m totally lost without a watch. I quite like the smaller size so I’ll see whether I keep both or sell the Versa. I lost a FB Flex years ago because of a faulty strap design and they sent me a new one then. So I am impressed with their CS.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitbit, fitness trackers, samsung