Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-22, 09:07 PM  
alisoncooks

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
This is so true! I had reconstructive foot surgery and also had my calf muscle cut to lengthen it and was non weight bearing for 7 weeks before I could gradually start walking again. My calf muscle atrophied shockingly fast. Like where the muscles were was just loose skin.

I showed DH when I felt the absence of the calf muscle and he blurted, "cool!" I burst into tears because I was so upset. I'm still working daily on building it up now (six months post-op).

Erica
I had a similar experience with my right quadricep after ACL surgery. It was so crazy.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-22, 10:06 AM  
cyana

I just discovered Margaret's YT channel within the past month or two. I previously shared this link with my VF check-in because I thought these exercises were a creative change from the oldies but goodies.

Margaret has some solid, common sense recommendations on her site. Not sure how she flew under my radar for so long!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-22, 01:16 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana View Post
I just discovered Margaret's YT channel within the past month or two. I previously shared this link with my VF check-in because I thought these exercises were a creative change from the oldies but goodies.

Margaret has some solid, common sense recommendations on her site. Not sure how she flew under my radar for so long!
She gets mentioned usually in threads about osteopenia/osteoporosis. That is one of topics she focuses on.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-22, 10:21 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Miranda from Essentrics/Classical Stretch has been talking about keeping your feet and calves strong and flexible for years.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-22, 01:46 PM  
ellaenchanted

I feel like this is in line with the longstanding recommendation to do balance work. A lot of balance work really gets into calves, ankles and feet. Though I think work like squats, deadlifts and lunges are equally important.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-22, 03:26 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
I feel like this is in line with the longstanding recommendation to do balance work. A lot of balance work really gets into calves, ankles and feet. Though I think work like squats, deadlifts and lunges are equally important.
Yep. I’m sure strong calves benefit us as we age, but these moves that strengthen the calves will also strengthen the ankles and feet.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-22, 01:55 AM  
Negin

Vintage VFer, thank you so much for this thread. This is one of the many reasons that I love these boards. How else would I learn all this helpful info? Yesterday was my first day of subscribing to Ellen, another reason that I love VF. I hadn't done her workouts in a while. Like CS/Essentrics, she also focuses a lot on the ankles and calves.
Old 06-29-22, 09:49 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
For hill walkers and hikers, those calves get you up the hills!
And those knees take you down!

I have always loved the CS exercises for my feet and ankles.

Thanks for this post!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, calf strength, calves, margaret martin, melioguide, squats