Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-09-22, 12:37 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
While I do appreciate all the suggestions, I was asking specifically about these titles by Cathe. Part of coming back from being ill, is regaining my motivation.

Yoga itself, does not. But I'm will to try with an instructor that motivates me who has workouts available. I have recently added Cathe on a limited basis and I like what I use so far.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post.
Derp...sorry. You were clear. I guess we saw "yoga" and "opinions" and went to town.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-22, 01:19 PM  
TinaT

Julie ~ Thank you and it's fine. I love that this board loves to help. I narrowed it down to just Cathe because it can become overwhelming when researching so many instructors. Before I hit a huge wall with my routine, I was using a couple of Cathe's for the first time....ever! My motivation was at a good place.

Tho, bzar did mention Karen Voight... she fits the profile and I love her and just might have some of her yoga workouts. I'll have to check.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-22, 01:22 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
I don't know if you'd prefer a female (or male) instructor, but I really like Dean Pohlman of Man Flow Yoga on YouTube. He has a number of DVDs on Amazon that are very beginner friendly also. He has his shirt off during some of the yoga, and that could be a bit of a distraction or motivation....maybe?

I think I like Dean because he is a good instructor and his pace is not fast, for someone new to yoga. He seems very down to earth, as well. His yoga is also athletic style, instead of spiritual.
I completely agree with this. Dean is my favorite for the same reasons.
Old 06-09-22, 02:46 PM  
Karla25

Quote:
... to my workout regiment. With just starting back to really moving again and being kind to myself, I'm up for trying yoga. I'm not against this method of movement or practice, just never been drawn to it.

I've tried Jessica Smith, and for the life of me can't get motivated but adore her personality. Go figure. I watched Cathe's clips at Total Fitness and am specifically asking for opinions on these titles:

Perfect Flow
Yoga Relax
Yoga Mat

I know there are tons of instructors out there that could be recommended, but I like the athletic look and feel of what Cathe offers. I have about 4 of Cathe's workouts that I was using and hope to use again soon. It's only taking me forever to warm up to Cathe. LOL

ETA: I have no expectations of completing any yoga routine all the way through in the beginning. I realize it's something to work toward. Modifying is my middle name and has been for years.

TIA ~
Yoga Relax is probably the easiest/gentlest of the 3 and might also be the safest one to start using if you've been inactive for a while. It has some excellent poses and moves at an easier pace. I had Yoga Max and traded it. It wasn't my favorite. Perfect Flow is shorter, the most active, and has ab work in it.
Old 06-09-22, 03:04 PM  
TinaT

Karla25 ~ Thank you for sharing your experience with the three titles. I think I'll maybe start with acquiring just one and go from there. Yoga Relax just might be where I start.

Thanks again.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-22, 03:16 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
Yoga Relax is probably the easiest/gentlest of the 3 and might also be the safest one to start using if you've been inactive for a while. It has some excellent poses and moves at an easier pace. I had Yoga Max and traded it. It wasn't my favorite. Perfect Flow is shorter, the most active, and has ab work in it.
I completely agree with all of these. I like Yoga Relax a lot, but I also traded Yoga Max. I rarely do yoga, so this one was a bit too much for me. I didn't care for the mobility workout on Perfect Flow, but the yoga was pretty good, but it was more strengthening than I was wanting. I also have Cathe's Stretch Max, which also had quite a bit of yoga-type moves.

I also second Ellen's Yogini, mostly because I rarely do yoga and really like how Ellen throws in yoga in her workouts without the whole workout being yoga. I subscribe to her streaming and her shorter yoga-ish workouts are really my speed.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-22, 03:17 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Yoga Mat
what Cathe series is this from?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-22, 03:23 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
what Cathe series is this from?
The Low Impact Series. (typo--Yoga Max)

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-22, 04:15 PM  
SpiritYogi

Tina,

Do you have any of Cathe's STS series DVD's? There is an extended stretch on each DVD that is has many yoga / yoga-like poses.

I also enjoy her Extended Stretch and Total Body Stretch.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-22, 05:09 PM  
bfit

I'm not trying to confuse things or muddy the waters, but I don't think Cathe is at her best in her yoga workouts. There is nothing wrong with them, and they are more "athletic" than some yoga workouts, but she doesn't seem that enthused about yoga. She talks in sort of a monotonous voice; maybe she thinks it's calming but it's mostly just boring. I have lots of Cathe workouts that I like a lot, but her yoga ones are not among them. Admittedly, I am not a huge fan of yoga, but there are yoga workouts that I do and that I like better than Cathe's.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe yoga, perfect flow, stretch max, yoga, yoga max, yoga relax