Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-22, 07:35 AM  
Rhonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I did the lower body workout and finisher from Power Splits today. With the right weight, you will be sore . I was very sore and wobbly. Next time through I think for the fourth set of each exercise I will do plie squats. That way I'll get four exercises instead of three, and will feel it more in the inner thighs. Great work for me for hamstrings, quads, calves, and glutes but I don't feel sore in the inner thighs.
What a great idea Bubbles. I haven't done the lower body but doing plie squats for the fourth set sounds like it would be good.

I did the upper body and thought it was a good workout. I am someone who doesn't like to work upper body so short and sweet is my thing. I thought it was a good workout, went by pretty quickly. I even used egg weights for the finisher. One thing I think KCM should have done before going right into stretching (which isn't much) is to have the girls using weights for the finisher to put them down. They all look like what, stretching, but I guess they could have just put them down themselves, like I did.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 10:29 PM  
YogaGal

Got around to KCM’s Power Splits this week and will share my thoughts here.

Upper Body. I liked the weight work and the boxing finisher. I did vary the exercises a bit rather than repeat the same one for 3 sets. For example, for chest I did bench press, then flies, then did alternating one-arm bench press for the third set. For triceps, I did One Arm Skull Crushers with the right arm for the second set, and the left arm for the third set. I varied the Bicep Hammer Curls with Supination Curls and Side Curls. I enjoyed the boxing finisher (which starts at about 21 minutes) and used my 2# dbs, but like that I can leave it off for days when I need a short workout.

Lower Body. I also liked this workout; Kelly has 3 different exercises and does 4 sets for each. Since I am not a 4 sets kind of girl, I varied my workout. Here’s what I did: (Kelly’s moves in bold):
  • Squats
  • Plie Squats
REPEAT each
  • Reverse Lunges
  • Curtsy Lunges
REPEAT each
  • Deadlifts
  • Front Lunges
REPEAT each
After the 4-minute warmup and the dumbbell exercises you are at about 19 minutes and up comes the finisher, standing body-weight only moves. I liked the finishers on both upper and lower workouts, but like that I can leave it off for a 20-minute workout when I want a short blast.

The music was so-so to me; the first music in the Lower Body set sounds like someone yelling, then it got a little better. For the stretch they used a rousing orchestral piece which was nice, but not the best choice for stretching; it would have been better in the workout portion.

I am glad I got this dvd and will enjoy using it to stay in shape. I got some DOMS after each workout, so I know I was going heavy enough.
Old 01-23-22, 06:58 PM  
pgun3

I am really enjoying the CF workouts~ I haven't opened up the other dvd yet.
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 08:42 AM  
bubbles76

I completed the Bonus Raw Step Box workout from the CardioFit. Uncomplicated routine and you can make the intensity higher or lower depending on step height and whether you use hand weights or weighted gloves. Kelly's enthusiasm shines through. This routine was just what I needed for that day.

Also did the Upper Body workout from Power Splits. Agreed with Pam's assessment. I like Yoga Gal's take on the lower body workout. May try that next time, except for the curtsey lunges, which I actually hate to do. I did the total body premix (no finishers) on Saturday, using heavier weights for upper body and varying the fourth set of the lower body workout with plie squats. Pleasantly sore, but not crazy sore like the first time. I kid you not, I was sore for FOUR DAYS after doing the lower body workout the first time. Maybe the finisher did me in? Or maybe that fourth set? Ugh, it was brutal lol!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 09:37 AM  
owltx

I did the Cardio Fit workout #1, which is the boxing w/dumbbell intervals. I really liked this one. I actually really liked the warm up, which I know is a little random, but it was energetic, great music - I will need to file this in w/warm ups to do when you don't want to workout and want to get motivated. I combined this with the RAW step boxing workout and then the boxing finisher on Power Splits and got a great workout. I agree with Bubble's assessment of the RAW step boxing workout - easy to learn, and Kelly's upbeat personality really shines. I love her step boxing workouts - I would classify this as easier to learn and more moderate intensity than her DVDs. My abs, particularly my obliques, are sore today from this combo.
Old 01-31-22, 12:05 PM  
suzysoho

Put this post into the old thread but decided to put it here too if it helps anyone...
I received my label from Kelly and sent back my extra DVD set. Hope everyone gets everything straightened out.

I can't do any upper body work right now as I have a greater tuberosity fracture of the left arm (the bone on top of my shoulder is broken...my dog suddenly took me down a steep hill after a squirrel last October). I'm in PT and I'm just plain healing.

So I've done Lower Body splits and that's it so far. I like deadlifts and squats. But front lunges are not my favorite. My knees don't like them. So I've been doing a different type of lunge for each set. Curtsey, Side to side, and one set of front or back instead for me. Just wanted to pass that along. I'm sure it could be done with all three moves. I like the pace of it. And that will take out any dread factor for me in the future. I am enjoying it quite a bit.

I'm older now. I modify. Had several accidental injuries over the past year (ankle, back, and shoulder). I am learning I need to be far nicer to my body than worry about matching the level or intensity of the DVD...still have to remind myself of that. I'm needing to adjust as I age. Recently turned 56 but things are talking back to me!!
Old 02-01-22, 08:59 AM  
fschulman

I agree on the RAW workout. I started and could not finish. The level of strength and flexibility required is advanced, while the Upper and Lower Body splits can be done by any level with adjustments in the amount of weight used. The RAW workout on the Cardio Fit DVD was easy to follow and appropriate for any level - for an advanced stepper, it would be a moderate workout.
fschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-22, 04:34 PM  
Mickey12

I did workout two, hi/lo with dumbbell intervals, of Cardio Fit. I really liked it, music had a good beat, techno style. There was a lot of variety and the squat and jumping intervals were really fun. I only used 5 pounds and felt it was a moderate workout. If I went up in weights I could have made it harder. I really like that Kelly put two different Raw workouts on her new DVDs. I was afraid they would be the same.
Old 02-07-22, 09:47 AM  
fanofladyvols

Do these DVDs have an audio option to mute the music?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-22, 07:36 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Do these DVDs have an audio option to mute the music?
Linda, there is a music on/off option.

Tags
30 minutes to fitness, 30mtf, kcm, kcm power splits, kelly coffey meyer, kelly coffey-meyer