Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-30-22, 08:18 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday, after work, I did an Essentrics Live Workout from 8/16 - it was an "aging backwards" workout so a little on the easier side. If I find I'm sticking w/ the L&S/S&C combo I may pause this subscription for a few months and just use my CS DVDs when I'm in the mood for Essentrics/CS.

Today, so far:

Jessica - 5K DVD Fast Walk from S&C. These walks are growing on me, although they are a little longer than I would like and I start wondering when it will end, LOL! I wish there was a countdown timer! I still don't really understand the pattern of this walk - like what the recovery-steady-interval ratio is. But that is ok - the scenery is nice.

wishiwasinhawaii - I am glad you used 8's, too. I felt wimpy - there were a lot of reps! I can't imagine going over 12's and that would be after building up for a long time! The walks in S&C are ok - they are not my favorite, they tend to drag for me - so I will mix up the cardio days. That is too bad about your boss, but good you don't have to go to the office. I just don't understand the drive to get people to go back in!

Pam - good going, those Stott workouts require a lot of focus!

Waves, Sherry - how is it going?

Take care!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-22, 08:25 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

Hard to believe we're almost into September!

I have to pick up my dental mouthguard today and it will take some adjustments on using one again, as I only made a half-hearted attempt with my generic "trial" online purchase, lol.

Also, as luck would have it, I was getting out of bed this morning and pulled something in my back, so today's workout will have to be gentle...whatever that might be.

Glad to see both Donna and wishiwasinhawaii working together with the same rotation. That's always encouraging to band together when the going gets tough. Good for you two! wishiwasinhawaii, you will enjoy the hikes once you get out there, especially now that the weather will be changing!

Back later in the day to check-in!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-22, 03:20 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Moira Stott Pilates express Sunrise workout (2007)

Back again...

I purposely chose an easy pilates workout this afternoon. Had also wanted to add a Quick 10 minute Jessica walk but discovered my DVD was not in the case. So now I'm wondering where I put it, lol.

I've got to get to the Post Office before 5pm, so will walk the short distance from my house...and hope my feet don't start talking to me.

Current Rotation:
Old 08-30-22, 08:07 PM  
Leonana

Yesterday I did a paper workout by Nia Shanks that prettyinpink posted in GD in the Slow and Heavy thread. It's only six strength moves, three done in workout A, then the other three in workout B. You are supposed to do 8-12 reps twice, but I just did 8 reps once. I thought it was short enough to do at least four days per week.

https://niashanks.com/lift-like-a-gi...bbell-workout/

I haven't done the workout today though, it was a long day. The heat was bad, high of 111. I drank a lot of water, stayed in the shade, and used a spray bottle!

My mouth pain has subsided quite a bit, I think eventually it will be completely gone. I highly recommend the Curable App for anyone with chronic pain, along with their podcasts. It has made a world of difference for me. I think the new job has helped a lot too, it's a good distraction.

Donna, good job on starting the Hybrid schedule!

wishiwasinhawaii, I really hate to clean too! I am able to clean the house now, but the new job does wear me out. I think I will get her to do it again soon.

Pam, I hope the walk to the mailbox was okay for your feet. Great job on the Pilates workouts.
Old 08-31-22, 07:03 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Yesterday I didn't have 40 minutes to do the Fast Walk workout on the schedule, so I did a shorter walking workout from youtube. I also walked 10,000 steps. I haven't done today's workout yet. I've been going back to my old way of working out where I exercise in the evening and that seems to be better for me for whatever reason. It's a lot cooler today thanks to thunderstorms last night, so I'm going to go for a bike ride in a bit.

Donna, Don't feel wimpy for using 8 lbs! With all those reps, I really can't imagine using anything heavier at this point. Maybe one day I'll feel comfortable moving up to 10 lbs, but that won't be anytime soon, lol. I don't understand the push to get people back to offices either, but where I work, it is up to your direct manager, so if you're stuck with a control freak like I am, this is the result. My company owns the building so I think that has a lot to do with it as well. They want people in the office to justify keeping it open, I guess. They are actually closing our other building (that they lease) and moving those people to our building.

Pam, I'm getting excited that it's finally cooling off. I still need to get my endurance up. Some of the hikes are 6-7 miles and I don't even walk that far at one time. What do you do about bugs? Do you use bug spray?

Sherry, That's wonderful that your mouth pain is so much better!!! I have a friend who suffers with chronic pain so I will let her know about the Curable App. I know from my own experience that I tend to focus too much on medical issues (that are usually minor) and I need to be distracted, so I think it's great you realized that and found the job to keep you busy and also found the app. Awesome!
Old 08-31-22, 09:29 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I did my first substitute for the rotation this morning! I couldn't face a 48 min strength session, so I substituted the 31 min strength session from the Full Body Strength DVD.

Yesterday I added in a stretch - "Rise" from Jessica's Stretch & Relax DVD and a Pilates Basics w/ Jessica Valent.

I'm just not getting any sleep w/ my elderly Lab, Bailey. She is up constantly during the night and it is very hard for me to get a good night's sleep. Part of the reason I couldn't face a 48 min workout this morning. So glad to be able to work from home b/c if I had to get up to commute I'd be a wreck.

wishiwasinhawaii - I think you are right about the building and also some managers are of the mindset that they can't "manage" if they can't see you. Which is ridiculous!

Sherry - that is great that you have seen so much improvement.

Pam - hope you made it to the PO and your feet held up!

Hope everyone has a good day,

Donna
Old 08-31-22, 12:31 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Tanja Djelevic Cardio Balance Ball (2007)

Wednesday-

Hi Ladies,

Since I missed a few of my hikes from this week (and last) I decided to try a cardio workout that wouldn't be too tough on me. Tanja's was good and you work up a sweat with lunges, squats, balance and core exercises. She doubles up the pace for many of the exercises once you learn the moves at a slower count...and I couldn't always keep up by the end. I was tired afterwards, lol.

wishiwasinhawaii, I hate bug sprays and don't like the chemicals in them, so I typically use an ointment/balm in a round tin that has citronella & rosemary in it, among other essential oils. It's by Badger and it last a long, long time. You can get it in a smaller 0.75 ounce to try it out...and it's more portable to take with you on a hike. They also have a 2 ounce that's huge...and you'll have it five years, I bet! I also have another natural brand called Murphy's and it has tea tree oil and peppermint, along with other natural ingredients, too! The only thing I would say is these small tins are difficult to get open sometimes, especially on the first few uses. I bet Skin-So-Soft spray (by Avon) would work, too! I thought of this from the Avon thread in the GD.

Current Rotation:
Old 08-31-22, 12:43 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Ana Caban Beginner Pilates matwork (2000)

Wednesday-

Back again...

This was a fun one to pull out and a great pilates workout! Tara (Ana's sidekick) shows easier modifications, while Ana does them as they are intended. I remembered the camera angles being wacky in this one. Ana is very fun and playful in the extra filming by the crew, and the guys really like Tara! I watched Ana's interview afterwards (as its been so long) and she trained in NYC under Romana Kryzanowska. Romana worked with Joseph, back in the day. Ana was trained in ballet from a young age and got a back injury when she was dancing in late high school. Her chiropractor or PT suggested she try pilates, and she didn't even know what pilates was at the time. She's also well traveled and such an interesting person, so I enjoyed watching that! Workout itself is only 25 minutes and pace is just right. Only about five reps of each exercise and this DVD also includes her Energy Boost workout.

Current Rotation:
Old 08-31-22, 06:04 PM  
donnamp

Nice workouts, Pam - those bring back memories for me. I need to see if I still have them lying around!! LOL! I remember buying the Ana Caban one in Borders - remember Borders??!!

I miss Borders, when my DD was little we used to go there for their "story times" -

Donna
Old 09-01-22, 07:49 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning was:

Jenny Ford - Step Across America # 7 - Connecticut
Jessica Smith - Stretch & Relax - Release

I didn't feel like doing Jessica S's long walk and I feel I get a sweatier workout using Jenny's 30 min step anyway. The Release stretch was a nice add on.

I didn't feel like doing either of Jessica V's choices for today either! I do think I will add on some of her stuff from her Sept calendar this month. I hope that she will continue to make monthly calendars that offer options. I know you can always sub on your own, but it is nice if an alternative is listed.

Hope everyone has a good day!!

Donna

Tags
tablet