Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-27-21, 01:33 PM  
warriorprincess

I see lots of Cathe Live in my future. I've been doing more and more Cathe and feeling better than I have in years.

And ballet. I've become enamoured with ballet this last year. I need to connect a better computer to my workout room TV, and then I'm going to subscribe to Sleek.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-21, 01:34 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
... I probably should not be on VF during this time. ... Erica
Erica! When I read that my tin foil hat fell off!!!

VF is here for you whether you hare hitting workouts hard, or are on the injury list. Especially in recent years we have many VFers who are older and/or dealing with assorted injuries and illnesses. Some quite severe.

Please stay on VF! If you don't belong to a check-in, now might be a time to check some of them out. You don't have to deal with your troubles alone. (((HUGS)))

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-21, 02:14 PM  
Karla25

I'm thinking of doing different rotations this year, starting with a male instructor only rotation for 2-4 weeks, then a week of kundalini yoga etc.
Old 12-27-21, 02:44 PM  
pharma_gal

This year has been tough for me emotionally and physically. I have not worked out most of the year and have lost all my strength and cardio endurance as well as core strength. Even beginner abs workouts are hard now. As I am collecting the life pieces together my plan is to get back to fitness this year starting slowly but trying to be consistent. I have to get back to 4-6 week rotations because that’s what keeps me accountable. Also, work on the nutrition side. Most of all, I’m not going to be hard on myself, enjoy working out and movement in general, going to give it enough time to lose the 30 lbs I gained this year. It may take the whole year to lose that but I am fine with that. Now to decide what workout plan to start with next week.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-21, 02:49 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
Wow, so sorry Erica. That has to be tough! Maybe try distractions like reading, binge watching series you enjoy, knitting or crocheting (learning to if you don’t already), listening to serial podcasts, or anything that interests you. So sorry you’re going through this, I know it’s tough. I’ve had injuries and a surgery this year that had me down. Wishing you a fast recovery and good health this coming year. (((Big hug)))
Thank you! I have more than enough to keep me busy. My adult kids and one girlfriend are all home for the holidays so there is activity going on all the time. And food out all the time too. I love having them home but some down time would be nice, too.

I've had several major surgeries and a few minor ones in the past few years but I was always able to figure out ways to work out around those injuries and keep some routine with gradual progress back to normalcy. Now I'm just helpless on the couch and completely dependent on people for every. little. thing. and no workouts. It's like my whole life has been turned upside down.

I'm sorry for your physical issues and hope your recovery has gone well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR View Post
I'm so sorry. You're going through a legit grieving process. I hope your recovery is smooth and steady!
Thank you! Yes, grieving - I never thought about it before but that feels like what I am experiencing. I feel guilty describing it that way when others are experiencing true losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Erica! When I read that my tin foil hat fell off!!!

VF is here for you whether you hare hitting workouts hard, or are on the injury list. Especially in recent years we have many VFers who are older and/or dealing with assorted injuries and illnesses. Some quite severe.

Please stay on VF! If you don't belong to a check-in, now might be a time to check some of them out. You don't have to deal with your troubles alone. (((HUGS)))
Thank you. I'm just such a mess - I think I'm beyond what anyone here can help with. I may try to get some professional help after the holidays are over and my kids are gone.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-21, 03:37 PM  
donnamp

((HUGS)) Erica and ((HUGS)) pharma_gal

I'm sorry you are struggling. It sucks.

In general, I think for many of us 2021 was a huge let down - and then adding on personal and physical problems, changes, and injuries on top of it - it gets overwhelming.

Karla - I was also thinking about a male instructor rotation - I was thinking about Gilad and Dean from Man Flow Yoga. But, it is so out of character for me loving the feminine workouts that Ellen Barrett puts out. Maybe I can do two days with the men, one day with Ellen. LOL!

Who are the guys you will workout with?

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-21, 03:43 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
This year has been tough for me emotionally and physically. I have not worked out most of the year and have lost all my strength and cardio endurance as well as core strength. Even beginner abs workouts are hard now. As I am collecting the life pieces together my plan is to get back to fitness this year starting slowly but trying to be consistent. I have to get back to 4-6 week rotations because that’s what keeps me accountable. Also, work on the nutrition side. Most of all, I’m not going to be hard on myself, enjoy working out and movement in general, going to give it enough time to lose the 30 lbs I gained this year. It may take the whole year to lose that but I am fine with that. Now to decide what workout plan to start with next week.
I think we were posting at the same time and I missed your post. I'm sorry you have had such a tough year. Your plan for next year is inspiring to me and I hope to get there, too.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-21, 09:24 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

My plan to motivate myself to workout more consistently this year is to "pay" myself a nominal amount for each 15 minute workout increment I complete up to a max of maybe $5 a day.

I want to see how much money I can "earn" this way and then plan to spend it on revamping the workout/guest/knitting room. It's the last room in the house that's still wallpapered (with now terribly dated wallpaper my sister picked out when she was young). I also would like shelving on the one short wall where the tv is located in the hulking armoire that was meant to hold a tube tv and is not really functional. I could probably store a lot of my dumbbells on the floor under the new shelving vs. along the wall of the room where I'm always afraid of running into them.

New miniblinds would also be nice (even the cheapest miniblinds nowadays have to be better quality than the mostly broken ones in there currently). There are some other items on my workout room wishlist too like perhaps a bigger led tv will fit in there once the tv is on a shelf vs. stuck in the armoire.

Paying a company to remove wallpaper and then paint a medium-sized room is kind of pricey though (based on past experience) so not sure if I will be able to afford all the changes just by "paying" myself for workouts completed for a year. We shall see. But I'm very motivated to get rid of that wallpaper at the very least. FWIW, I'm not interested in removing the paper myself. Been there, done that (on a small scale) and it's just a huge mess that drags on and on. I want someone to just come in, get it done in a day or two or three, and get out. It seems to work out better that way for me.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-21, 10:32 PM  
bjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
You might want to look at Pahla B and her 5-0 plan. A calorie plan and moderate exercise combined using her youtube videos. You don't need to be over 50 to benefit. She has a 31 day plan -low impact and some weight workouts. She's very much into moving in ways that feel good on your body and not stressing out about it. She promotes the benefits of moderation instead trying to hardcore kill yourself with your diet and exercise plan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy_A...1rMBiBMFLhYr-S
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-21, 10:50 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I probably should not be on VF during this time.
Erica
Gosh, I understand this, but I sincerely hope you stick around or at least just check in so we know how you're doing. I know I'd benefit from hearing how you're doing probably more than you may think.

I've had a rough few years health-wise but just knowing there are others of us who have fought back eventually both mentally and physically has been helpful for me. I've gone back and reread posts from others who were suffering with things far worse than I've experienced and I've gleamed some helpful thoughts and ideas long after reading them.

But I really had to give up the notion that I could get to where I had been. This was going to require a different plan if I were ever going to find a way out of the mental and physical hole I found myself stuck in. And believe it or not, I actually did in the past few months.

I'd agree that it feels like grieving. I have been grieving for the person and the fitness level that my body provided for years without all of these injuries and now limitations.

Don't feel like you're alone on that couch. So many of us are there with you. I think the fact that you want to get a different place can inspire so many others. You are one tough cookie, and smart, and determined. You got this. Whatever your recovery entails both mentally and physically, you got this.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2022, goals, motivation, new year, new year goals