Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-27-21, 09:43 AM  
DD546

I'm going to do the Lauren Brooks squat challenge, and I'm going to get back into strength training incorporating kettle bells. I bought the Bowflex adjustable kettlebell and plan to get some use out of it. Right now I've been really focusing on developing correct form.
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-21, 09:52 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I actually started my new fitness goals last week. I have increased my cardio intensity. I already feel better.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-21, 09:59 AM  
Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I'm going to learn to walk again eventually after having major reconstructive surgery on my foot a few weeks ago. And I'm going to need to lose a ton of weight.

I went from being lean and fit from running/spinning/lifting weights and being disciplined with my diet to a stranger who lies around on the couch all day with her leg elevated and eating crap nonstop. It will be weeks before I'm allowed to even take one step on my operated foot. I need to exercise for my mental health and it's always helped me stay motivated to eat better. Without working out, everything else falls apart.

Erica
That sounds pretty frustrating; I hope you find some motivation

Feel free to ignore this if you don't want advice: are you able to do seated upper body exercise (like chair exercise)? Or might it be helpful to focus on another or a new hobby, maybe something creative (reading, journaling, drawing, knitting)? I've found meditation and ASMR helpful during stressful times. I've checked VF in the past even during times I'm not exercising consistently, so I hope you continue to check in, too. I read your post and wanted to let you know I was thinking of you
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-21, 10:04 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post

Feel free to ignore this if you don't want advice: are you able to do seated upper body exercise (like chair exercise)? Or might it be helpful to focus on another or a new hobby, maybe something creative (reading, journaling, drawing, knitting)?
Thank you. As of now, I can only lie down and elevate - I can't even sit up with my foot at waist level so it's hard to find much to do for exercise. I'm using resistance bands for upper body but not really accomplishing much. I have other things I can do but I am just lost without my normal routine and I miss working out so much. It made me feel so good mentally and physically. I probably should not be on VF during this time. I have had foot injuries before and was able to exercise around them but can't do much of anything until my foot doesn't need to be elevated so much.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-21, 10:56 AM  
laurajhawk

I started Amoila Cesar's 645 (on Beachbody on Demand) a couple weeks ago, but I've been sporadic because of the holidays. I figure I'll be able to actually do it consistently after Jan. 1 ... but not *on* Jan. 1, because I've committed to 108 sun salutations at the yoga studio that morning. (I've done 108 a few times before.)

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-21, 12:29 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Thank you. As of now, I can only lie down and elevate - I can't even sit up with my foot at waist level so it's hard to find much to do for exercise. I'm using resistance bands for upper body but not really accomplishing much. I have other things I can do but I am just lost without my normal routine and I miss working out so much. It made me feel so good mentally and physically. I probably should not be on VF during this time. I have had foot injuries before and was able to exercise around them but can't do much of anything until my foot doesn't need to be elevated so much.

Erica
Wow, so sorry Erica. That has to be tough! Maybe try distractions like reading, binge watching series you enjoy, knitting or crocheting (learning to if you don’t already), listening to serial podcasts, or anything that interests you. So sorry you’re going through this, I know it’s tough. I’ve had injuries and a surgery this year that had me down. Wishing you a fast recovery and good health this coming year. (((Big hug)))
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-21, 12:42 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

#1 - Get back to running again (took time off this year for surgery/injuries).

#2 - Incorporate yoga and stretching into my workouts (more than what’s included at the end of a workout). The older I get, the less flexible I am. This is leading to minor injuries and aches and pains just from everyday activities. I’ve pulled stuff just cleaning or doing a sudden movement. Getting old s*cks!

#3 - Build more core/ab strength (I do a lot of deadlifts but I need more balance). I don’t care as much about the aesthetic of a flat stomach, I just want to be stronger through that area to prevent injuries.

So I guess my overall fitness plan for 2022 is to make my body more resilient to injuries and not hurt myself doing the things I enjoy.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-21, 01:07 PM  
SFR
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
So I guess my overall fitness plan for 2022 is to make my body more resilient to injuries and not hurt myself doing the things I enjoy.
This is definitely true for me. I'm going to re-start the Mark Lauren prep program and then hopefully do the body weight 2.0 program which claims to make you 'virtually injury proof'.

I also subscribed to melt method on demand so I'll see how that goes. I know I have trigger point issues so I'm curious if it will help. So much gibberish to ignore.

I messed up my back in a new way. Usually I can get myself out of a spasm but this time it's really hanging on. I think I can't just stretch my way out anymore. I have to strengthen.
Old 12-27-21, 01:22 PM  
SFR
VF Supporter

Quote:
...I have other things I can do but I am just lost without my normal routine and I miss working out so much. It made me feel so good mentally and physically....

Erica
I'm so sorry. You're going through a legit grieving process. I hope your recovery is smooth and steady!
Old 12-27-21, 01:29 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
I'd like to get back to a more traditional cardio/strength rotation. I've been doing lots of Essentrics/Classical Stretch to keep myself moving, and while it does have benefits and feels good, I've gotten lazy and neglected other areas of fitness. I've lost a lot of upper body strength and I'm pretty sure my cardio capacity has diminished, as well.
This is me, too, pretty much. For my overall health and functionality I need a more balanced program.

I also need to be more mindful of moving more throughout the day - working from home has me tied to a desk too much and I'm not getting enough incidental activity throughout the day. I plan to correct that by doing a lunch time walk - outdoors if possible, indoors if not possible (or the indoor "walk" can be something else a 15 - 20 min "mini" workout)

I also need to focus more on injury prevention - glute and hip strength in particular. I have a few routines that are "Tried and true" for this area and I should do them 3-5X per week.

*Erica* - I wish you a quick recovery. I can imagine how frustrating it must be - but hang in there, this too shall pass.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2022, goals, motivation, new year, new year goals