Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-22, 09:50 PM  
LizEMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I like the idea of a system where you start out lighter and work up to heavier, but I'm not sure this is like that. She starts out total body which can be really challenging even using lighter weights. I will wait and see.
I agree.

Given everything we know about this set so far, it sounds less like STS 2.0 and more like (XTrain) Burn Sets 2.0.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and that further details will clarify things, but, the info she's released so far doesn't indicate that there will be any mesophases at all. We already know there is no 1RM, and including Total Body WOs in the program has already greatly deviated from the STS format. (As others have noted, Total Body WOs are difficult to exhaust all muscle groups in a timely manner and/or to not tire before working all muscles to failure. [Just holding weights for a heavy LB session will fatigue the upper body before it's even been worked!] I'm curious to see how she navigates their inclusion in this new release.)

I agree with the price speculation of those who hypothesized the $150-200 range. (Does anyone remember the presale price of the original STS?)
Old 10-19-22, 10:01 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizEMA View Post
I agree with the price speculation of those who hypothesized the $150-200 range. (Does anyone remember the presale price of the original STS?)
I didn't remember but I found this post that says the first STS pre-sale round was $199, and it later went up to $279.

ETA: http://videofitness.com/~vfwnk/forum...d.php?t=116985

That was over a decade ago, BUT STS was super costly to produce because of the editing process they chose to go with vs. filming each workout separately. Cathe learned a lot from that experience and never did things that way again as far as I know.

ETA: Here's the quote from Cathe's forum about the editing costs for the original STS:

Quote:
STS was a different animal. It was a linear periodization workout which was a 40 DVD set that was based on progressive sets each week. This meant that exercises were often repeated and at the time we felt there was no reason to re-film these repeated exercises since they would look exactly the same even if we would have re-filmed them.

What we learned after filming STS was it is way more expensive to edit repeated footage than it would of been to have just filmed them again. So, this is probably not something we would ever do again.
https://cathe.com/forum/threads/are-...r-some.289920/

ETA: Also, the original STS was 37-41 discs*. (Think it depended on whether you got the optional squat rack leg discs.)

*Apparently if you ordered during the presale, you got the abs dvd thrown in for free, which would account for the extra disc/odd # of discs.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-22, 10:23 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
Well, if it is $150-200 (+ conversion for me) I won't probably order, specially with Christmas around the corner, I have a lot 12 -16 DVD system sets, and I never paid that much. I surely would like the set, but it might be out if my budget at this time.
FWIW, I didn't get the original STS until late 2011 and I got the entire 40-disc bundle for less than $130 (not including tax). Not sure if it was a deal of the day on Cathe's site or not that day. Would have been around Black Friday so lots of deals and I paid 25% off the $169.97 list price either because I bought other dvds at the time and/or there was a coupon promo code (nowadays STS is retailed at $159.97 but I imagine most people buy it when there's a promo or % off).

In my prior post just above, you'll see the first two rounds of presale pricing for the first STS were $199 and $279.

Now, I believe Cathe normally doesn't allow "new" workout systems to be deal of the day or have discounts apply for awhile after they are released, but maybe in a year or two you can snag it for a good price if her presale price this time is outside your budget.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-22, 10:50 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
FWIW, I didn't get the original STS until late 2011 and I got the entire 40-disc bundle for less than $130 (not including tax). Not sure if it was a deal of the day on Cathe's site or not that day. Would have been around Black Friday so lots of deals and I paid 25% off the $169.97 list price either because I bought other dvds at the time and/or there was a coupon promo code (nowadays STS is retailed at $159.97 but I imagine most people buy it when there's a promo or % off).

In my prior post just above, you'll see the first two rounds of presale pricing for the first STS were $199 and $279.

Now, I believe Cathe normally doesn't allow "new" workout systems to be deal of the day or have discounts apply for awhile after they are released, but maybe in a year or two you can snag it for a good price if her presale price this time is outside your budget.
Wow, you got a fantastic deal! That is a good point, if I can't get it now, I might get a good deal later on. Thanks, that gives me hope!

On another note $279 was a big jump from $199. STS was 40 discs, these are 15, let's hope the pre-sale price won't be as high!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-22, 09:32 AM  
AnMrsDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
Wow, you got a fantastic deal! That is a good point, if I can't get it now, I might get a good deal later on. Thanks, that gives me hope!

On another note $279 was a big jump from $199. STS was 40 discs, these are 15, let's hope the pre-sale price won't be as high!
Or...you could always wait a few years and acquire it in a trade! That's how I acquired the original STS...as much as I like that set, I have only done it one time as a rotation. STS2 gives me hope and sounds like I will like this set much more!

Liz, good to see you posting!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-22, 10:30 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post

This. I was way late to the STS party but got the entire set for $80 and some change in later 2020 due to it being a deal of the day plus the bundle discount. I have noticed she has releases within the last year or so now available as deals of the day and I agree, there's a chance if someone doesn't want to participate in the presale they could still snag a deal later on with discounts and coupon codes. There's no way I could have afforded the original STS at its nearly $300 price!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-22, 11:34 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnMrsDe View Post
Or...you could always wait a few years and acquire it in a trade! That's how I acquired the original STS...as much as I like that set, I have only done it one time as a rotation. STS2 gives me hope and sounds like I will like this set much more!
Well, I wouldn't count on that, as most trades list ask for "US only" so internationals are out of luck, but it could work for someone else. I will wait for her e-mail with pre-sale price and then decide.

Kittybug, you got a great deal as well!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-22, 12:05 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizEMA View Post
I agree.

Given everything we know about this set so far, it sounds less like STS 2.0 and more like (XTrain) Burn Sets 2.0.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and that further details will clarify things, but, the info she's released so far doesn't indicate that there will be any mesophases at all. We already know there is no 1RM, and including Total Body WOs in the program has already greatly deviated from the STS format.
Yes, but there is so little information available that I think it is too soon to tell. I hope this is a good program because it would be a nice change of pace for me for a couple of months.

Since I’ve been trying to train with heavier weights only in the past couple of years, though I still feel like a novice, I’ve learned that there are all sorts of different ideas about what a good strength rotation is. There is more than one way to get where you want to go.

The STS Mesocycles is just one way of doing things, and doesn’t seem that common among training programs currently out there, unless I’m totally missing something, which could well be true. Training to failure is thought to not be necessary and is less in vogue, too. Some feel that full body is more effective than parts splits, especially for older women.

With this excitement over this program, I also got to wondering if Cathe does any personal training anymore or if she has any input into her programming or tests it in anyone before filming. Group fitness isn’t the same as heavy weight training results. A lot of us vidiots and the general public also seem to expect that if you don’t have DOMS, it isn’t a good workout, which isn't true, so I also wonder how catering to a wide audience affects how much volume is in her workouts, as much as does what is minimally effective.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-22, 12:56 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

prettyinpink, some very thought provoking comments in your post. I also wonder about whether there are outside consultants or exercise physiologists involved in a project like this, and how much research into current ''thinking" is with respect to what is "effective." I'm sure there is much pressure for making a program that would be appealing to as many as possible. That said, Cathe has built a brand over the years that I don't think she would want to damage by releasing a program that is considered ineffective or "fluff" for the sake of pretty production and equipment.

I believe that there is so much individual variation that it's difficult if not impossible to determine what program is suitable for "everyone." It's been said here often in a number of different ways, if it works for you, and gets the results that you want, then it's a good program.

Personally it is a very rare thing for me to have DOMS, and I don't feel that means that I haven't worked hard in what I'm doing. I rarely, if ever, work to "failure" but stop at a point where I know my body has had enough. However, it's taken years to determine that point between causing injury and challenging to improvement.

As usual, I would use this set as it suits me, which isn't always "as designed." It appears she will offer premixes that will allow for more flexibility in the program.

I'm surprised that people would think that the pricing would be comparable to the original STS cost per disc. That set was released in 2008. It's apples and oranges, IMHO. However, it is interesting to look at the differences. I suspect that Cathe made as much money on that set as might have been projected since it ended up being so costly to produce. Pure speculation on my part, of course.

Haha I'm rambling, but I'm really wondering if this set would be worth it for me. I actually wish it was fewer DVDs--maybe 8 to 10---and a shorter program---4 to 6 weeks given my preference for shorter rotations. **sigh**
like others, I'll wait for the presale pricing and options and go from there.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-22, 02:26 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I’ll be waiting with debit card in hand next week, lol. I don’t buy many DVDs anymore (only subscriptions) so that’s my justification, lol. I’ll tell DH it’s my Xmas gift.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
announcement/announcement, cathe, cathe presale, cathe sts 2.0, danielpt, pre-sale, sts 2.0, sts 2.0 reviews, troy lite bar