Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-21, 11:17 AM  
bethellen

Fitness Tracker

I wore a chest strap type heart rate monitor years ago and recorded the calories burned after my workout. It motivated me to do longer or more advanced workouts. And it was encouraging to record that number!

I'm looking at fitness trackers, but not overly excited about all the features now available. I think I'd be motivated by calories burned and less enthused about sleep tracked.

So, does a fitness tracker motivate you?
Do you mainly use yours for calories burned or another feature?
Any suggestions on brands/models?
bethellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-21, 02:04 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I’ve had a Fitbit Alta HR for about 2-3 yrs. I mainly use it to track steps, I don’t sleep with it on. I’ve liked it so far but also wear a Polar F7 with a heart rate strap when I workout (I have one on each wrist, lol). I find my Fitbit heart rate is always a lot lower than the F7/chest strap. I wear it snug on my wrist so it should be more accurate.

I just ordered a Fitbit Luxe yesterday. I’m hoping it’s more accurate because it has different workout modes. I’ll let you know in a couple of weeks how well it works.

https://www.qvc.com/Fitbit-Luxe-Fitn...H&qq=mh&TZ=EST
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-21, 05:05 PM  
Vantreesta

I've worn Fitbits since 2014, currently Charge 4. I wear a Polar FT60 (I think) with chest strap for all indoor workouts. I wear a Garmin Vivoactive with chest strap for outdoor running, hiking and snowshoeing bc it has built in GPS. The Polar doesn't track steps or anything like that, just heart rate, and it is its own thing, doesn't sync to anything. The Garmin syncs with the Garmin app and I have it linked to MapMyRun. This one is a fitness tracker that counts steps and tracks sleep but I strictly wear it for workouts. I have done a few workouts wearing both the Polar and the Garmin (yep, two chest straps, two watches plus my Fitbit!) to test them against each other. The Polar and Garmin are pretty close. The Fitbit autorecords and for runs it actually isn't too far off. I'm not so sure about other things. Like I think the autorecorded walks show a higher HR than I think seems right.

I am highly motivated by (one might even say obsessed with!) numbers!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-21, 09:12 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

has any one tried the Lume? I think it's called. it doesn't have a watch face but it connects to you phone and gives some indepth info on your bodys, statistics. I looked at one but didn't want a payed plan to see my information and then if something happend to the web site it would all be lost. But really the paying monthy fee was a breaker for me.

I also had the apple watch, again in my life of always moving, it didn't fit what I wanted to do at the time. I didn't like touching the screen and scrolling to what I wanted to be and just other nuances to me.

Then I got this no name one on Amazon that does time, heart rate, sleep, running, but no macros. again, nice size but left a skin indentation like a foot print on my wrist so it was close enough so it wouldn't slide up and down my wrist and to read my body.

Now, it's just a heart rate monitor with strap because they are better for darker skin toned as it is right on my heart. i read the others for dark skin people got crazy numbers, therefore less accurate.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-21, 11:08 AM  
fanofladyvols

I have an inexpensive Garmin I purchased off eBay. Very happy with it. I like noticing the difference in the numbers between types of workouts. I don't think the wrist strap heart rate monitoring is very accurate on its report but I use it anyway to indicate how hard I'm working in relation to other workouts.

I also like comparing my resting heart rate to confirm how well I'm sleeping. I can tell how I feel when I wake up what my numbers will likely be before I even take a glance. Trying to use it to come up with a good bedtime ritual.

I think they can be useful tools.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fit bit, fitbit, fitness tracker