Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-07-21, 11:19 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

The Menopause Manifesto by Dr. Jen Gunter

Since menopause is a big topic around here, this is a new book that answers a lot of your questions. The author is an OB-GYN who debunks a lot of myths about HRT, diet and exercise, various treatments (like progesterone cream - avoid) and so on. Also she points out that a lot of symptoms women blame on menopause are just things that come along with aging - old men get senior moments, gain weight and have to slow down too! I'm not done reading but it's very fascinating.
https://www.amazon.com/Menopause-Man.../dp/0806540664

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 12:14 PM  
mamaste

I have this book! I follow her on Twitter and preordered last year. It’s great. Dr. Jen is a wealth of info just on social media. I’ve learned a lot from her.
Old 06-07-21, 12:16 PM  
donnamp

That is interesting!

I think women tend to blame everything on their hormones, and while it is definitely a factor, it isn't the sole reason for everything that happens to us. As you said, men age, too, they get belly fat, lose muscle, have aches and pains, become forgetful, etc.

I also think a lot of our symptoms are tied to lifestyle issues/the season of life we are in as well as aging and hormones. It all seems to hit us at once - the timing of peri-meno/meno coincides for many of us with a season of life when we are dealing with a lot of lifestyle changes - caring for/worrying about aging or ill parents, kids that are at an age where they are challenging us, kids leaving the nest, retirements (either our own or our significant others), job stress, relocations, etc.

So while I don't discount that hormones play a role, I think there are a lot of things that are going on - as well - including lifestyle and just natural (non-hormonal related) aging.

I know for me it is hard to separate my difficulty sleeping or focusing from hormones or just worry about various life events that are taking place right now. Is the 6 pounds I gained hormonal or just from snacking and sitting more as I worked from home for the past 15 months??

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 01:13 PM  
rhbrand

She was on Doctor Radio, which I love to listen to when I'm out and about. She was so knowledgeable and I loved her advise.
Might just have to pick up her books as I try to make my way though peri-menopause and then menopause.
Old 06-07-21, 01:15 PM  
moonbeam31

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
That is interesting!

I think women tend to blame everything on their hormones, and while it is definitely a factor, it isn't the sole reason for everything that happens to us. As you said, men age, too, they get belly fat, lose muscle, have aches and pains, become forgetful, etc.

I also think a lot of our symptoms are tied to lifestyle issues/the season of life we are in as well as aging and hormones. It all seems to hit us at once - the timing of peri-meno/meno coincides for many of us with a season of life when we are dealing with a lot of lifestyle changes - caring for/worrying about aging or ill parents, kids that are at an age where they are challenging us, kids leaving the nest, retirements (either our own or our significant others), job stress, relocations, etc.

So while I don't discount that hormones play a role, I think there are a lot of things that are going on - as well - including lifestyle and just natural (non-hormonal related) aging.

I know for me it is hard to separate my difficulty sleeping or focusing from hormones or just worry about various life events that are taking place right now. Is the 6 pounds I gained hormonal or just from snacking and sitting more as I worked from home for the past 15 months??

Donna
Well put! I'll look into this book!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 01:16 PM  
moonbeam31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Since menopause is a big topic around here, this is a new book that answers a lot of your questions. The author is an OB-GYN who debunks a lot of myths about HRT, diet and exercise, various treatments (like progesterone cream - avoid) and so on. Also she points out that a lot of symptoms women blame on menopause are just things that come along with aging - old men get senior moments, gain weight and have to slow down too! I'm not done reading but it's very fascinating.
https://www.amazon.com/Menopause-Man.../dp/0806540664
thanks for the rec!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 01:21 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I don't know. I really struggled through peri-menopause and menopause. The mood changes were awful and affected those around me. I had a lot of problems.

Since then I have been through chemotherapy and a bone marrow transplant (which was no picnic) and now I still feel better than I did during those menopause years.
Old 06-08-21, 06:51 AM  
laurawd

Men's 'aging' is also do in part to hormones?
laurawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 08:32 AM  
Demeris

The perimenopause and menopause symptoms I suffered through were horrendous.

I'm now 7 years post menopause and can clearly distinguish between my menopausal suffering and how my body is aging.

I'm happy for all of this doctor's patients who didn't go through the physical struggles and terrifying mood swings I had for 5 years. And I am deeply grateful Those issues are behind me. Aging is no picnic, but menopause was the worst thing I ever experienced, physically.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 09:40 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
I have this book! I follow her on Twitter and preordered last year. It’s great. Dr. Jen is a wealth of info just on social media. I’ve learned a lot from her.
That's where I discovered her, on Twitter. Boy she takes no prisoners! She also has a good series on Amazon Prime called Jensplaining.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, gall bladder, jen gunter, menopause