Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-21, 03:21 PM  
wendug
VF Supporter
 
wendug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago burb
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
I get what you're saying, Gams.

I do come from a slightly different viewpoint. That is, I find it distasteful for a woman to feel she MUST market herself in a highly sexualized manner. Diminishing her humanhood.

However, I do applaud a woman's self acceptance of her femininity. From what I have seen from Sylwia..uh..she certainly does! This difference (between embracing your physique and being manipulated into being sexualized) can be hard to discern as an observer. I am way more discreet in embracing all my curves, lol!

I think of other women, too. I wouldn't personally make the wardrobe choices JLo does ....but doggone it ....I'm glad that she's not letting anyone tell her that her booty ain't beautiful

In this case, the cover is in keeping with the dvd title and Sylwia's parts are covered....
I also vaguely remember her explaining why she chose this title and I believe it was about empowerment.

Just glancing at the cover I can see where the message could be lost...
Totally agree. Not something I would choose, but I'm not going to knock her for doing what she wants that makes her feel powerful. We've had enough of women knocking each other down; I support her making her own choices.
__________________
Wendy
wendug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 03:33 PM  
Erica H.
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Totally agree. Not something I would choose, but I'm not going to knock her for doing what she wants that makes her feel powerful. We've had enough of women knocking each other down; I support her making her own choices.
That's how I feel, too.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 03:59 PM  
Gams
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
If her goal is to sell a workout DVD, I don’t understand how that picture helps. When I said I wouldn’t buy it because of the picture alone, i meant if I was looking through workout DVDs and saw that cover, I wouldn’t even think it WAS a workout DVD - anymore than I would think that picture would be used to sell gum. I’ve never seen anyone workout in 4-inch heels - ever.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 06:52 PM  
Mickey12
VF Supporter
 
Mickey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Gams I agree with you. The photo on the cover doesn’t make me want to explore the workout at all. It just looks silly to me.
__________________
Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 08:37 AM  
Karla25
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
If her goal is to sell a workout DVD, I don’t understand how that picture helps. When I said I wouldn’t buy it because of the picture alone, i meant if I was looking through workout DVDs and saw that cover, I wouldn’t even think it WAS a workout DVD - anymore than I would think that picture would be used to sell gum. I’ve never seen anyone workout in 4-inch heels - ever.
I guess it’s all a matter of perception. After reading, and responding to, your original post I had to see the cover. I don’t have a problem with it at all. She’s completely covered. I’ve seen much worse at the beach.

I think Sylwia is simply trying to convey what one can achieve through her workouts. You can become a “Femme Fatale.” The cover has a film noir aspect about it.

After watching the Femme Fatale workout clip, I decided to purchase it. She’s much more covered than Ana in the Raviana workouts. Ana is a bit more deceptive though because her covers don’t show what her outfits are really like.

David Kirsch is completely nude on the cover of his 7 Day Prescription Workout. I think he is also trying to convey the message of what you can achieve doing his workouts. However, I think the Tonique cover is much more tasteful. I would not buy his workout even if it was fantastic. I wouldn’t want my grandchildren to see it in my workout room lol.
__________________
Have a heart that never hardens, a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts
Charles Dickens
Karla25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 12:38 PM  
dianestjohn
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
This is a very interesting discussion. I distinctly remember being told by my parents when I was young not to dress too "sexy" because there are nice girls and not-nice girls and you don't want to give boys the wrong idea and you are not taken seriously at work or in the world if you dress too sexy, etc. (I grew up in rural Maryland, the daughter of parents of Pennsylvania Dutch and proper British descent.) My sister-in-law, a California girl who grew up in Hollywood, has been dressing up flashy and sexy since junior high. When I first met her I partly disapproved and partly envied her as she got lots of attention for her flashy dress style. We have never discussed this but from time to time she has gifted me with high heels, silky blouses, etc., so I think she probably thinks I could use some loosening up LOL. Now, at age 63, I still don't know exactly where I stand on this issue. If I had a daughter I don't think I would want her to dress flashy/sexy and when I see a woman dressed that way I have to fight back my own disapproval and tell myself it's just a different style. There's part of me that thinks provocatively dressed women are "cheating" somehow - breaking the rules and getting ahead in line using their sex appeal.

I hated the first Wonder Woman for this very reason - the costume was a Victoria's Secret fantasy outfit that did not look practical for saving the world. But I think many women loved the movie partly because they found the outfit to be representative of the character's power. I also remember Demi Moore saying how much she loved the crotch-flash in Basic Instinct, she said she loved the "power" of that moment. Whereas I just found it tawdry.

I will also mention that I read an interview with a bunch of men who were in prison for rape. They almost all said that when they chose their victims, they did NOT choose flashy, sexy-dressed women in high heels and lots of makeup. Instead, they chose covered-up, bland, quiet women who seemed to not want to attract attention. The reason they gave is that the sexy-dressed women looked strong and powerful to them and the mousy women looked weaker and meeker - and they wanted someone they could overpower easily.

Such a complicated issue.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 12:49 PM  
Gams
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
I guess a woman would have to be pretty talented to work out in 4-inch heels - most women I know can’t even walk in them.

I don’t care how anyone dresses - I just have a hard time connecting the photo with high heels to a workout routine.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 01:32 PM  
Karla25
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianestjohn View Post
This is a very interesting discussion. I distinctly remember being told by my parents when I was young not to dress too "sexy" because there are nice girls and not-nice girls and you don't want to give boys the wrong idea and you are not taken seriously at work or in the world if you dress too sexy, etc. (I grew up in rural Maryland, the daughter of parents of Pennsylvania Dutch and proper British descent.) My sister-in-law, a California girl who grew up in Hollywood, has been dressing up flashy and sexy since junior high. When I first met her I partly disapproved and partly envied her as she got lots of attention for her flashy dress style. We have never discussed this but from time to time she has gifted me with high heels, silky blouses, etc., so I think she probably thinks I could use some loosening up LOL. Now, at age 63, I still don't know exactly where I stand on this issue. If I had a daughter I don't think I would want her to dress flashy/sexy and when I see a woman dressed that way I have to fight back my own disapproval and tell myself it's just a different style. There's part of me that thinks provocatively dressed women are "cheating" somehow - breaking the rules and getting ahead in line using their sex appeal.

I hated the first Wonder Woman for this very reason - the costume was a Victoria's Secret fantasy outfit that did not look practical for saving the world. But I think many women loved the movie partly because they found the outfit to be representative of the character's power. I also remember Demi Moore saying how much she loved the crotch-flash in Basic Instinct, she said she loved the "power" of that moment. Whereas I just found it tawdry.

I will also mention that I read an interview with a bunch of men who were in prison for rape. They almost all said that when they chose their victims, they did NOT choose flashy, sexy-dressed women in high heels and lots of makeup. Instead, they chose covered-up, bland, quiet women who seemed to not want to attract attention. The reason they gave is that the sexy-dressed women looked strong and powerful to them and the mousy women looked weaker and meeker - and they wanted someone they could overpower easily.

Such a complicated issue.
What I find interesting is that David Kirsch can appear completely nude on a DVD cover and no one cares in this 12 page thread. http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=129126

Slywia tries to do an artsy film noir cover and she is trashed for it. So what if she’s wearing high heels and a one piece bathing suit? Is she not allowed to have any artistic creativity? She’s covered enough that I would not be bothered if my grandchildren saw the DVD cover.

The cover in no way implies that anyone is expected to workout in high heels. It implies that you can achieve an athletic and beautifully toned body by doing the workout - just like Sylwia has done.

Lots of double standards I guess.
__________________
Have a heart that never hardens, a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts
Charles Dickens
Karla25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 01:33 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter
 
Vintage VFer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I guess a woman would have to be pretty talented to work out in 4-inch heels - most women I know can’t even walk in them.
I don’t care how anyone dresses - I just have a hard time connecting the photo with high heels to a workout routine.
Gams, I guess you don't remember Dr. Emily Splichal's Catwalk Confidence workout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f77AF4B8tSo

__________________
Goal:250 / Done:296
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 01:53 PM  
fanofladyvols
 
fanofladyvols's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Modify City, State of Fierce
Speaking of DVDs to hide...the titles 'Look great naked'
..my daughter is always horrified to see those titles in my stash...

I guess she assumes she was baked in an oven...
__________________
I have a fitness library. --VFer Taiga

Don't just work hard, work smart....Pat Head Summitt

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2023: Vitality : Live the delight of full throttle conditioning.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
instructor clothing, sylwia wiesenberg, tonique, workout titles

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2009 Video Fitness