Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-20, 09:43 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieC View Post
I love Rhys Bowen’s Molly Murphy series as well as her Royal Spyness series.
Also Louise Penny’s Inspector Gamache series.
I love the Inspector Gamache series! It’s maybe a tad serious to be considered cosy but I love all the quirky characters.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-20, 09:44 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
I couldn’t either. I did not like them at all. Too dark, or something. My favorite of the Jenny Cain books was IOU. I loved it! I always thought it would be fun to have Jenny’s job.

Carol
I liked her husband Geoff I wish I had kept those books. My library did have them, but I need to check if they still do. I have not read them in so long. They would seem new to me.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-20, 01:42 AM  
Leonana

I forgot to mention the Southern Sisters mystery series by Anne George. They are hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padeacon View Post
This is my favorite genre! I love so many of the authors mentioned.

I would also add Kate Carlisle she has a couple series (Bibliophile and Fixer Upper) and Ellery Adams too ( secret bone and scone society, book retreat, antiques and collectibles, supper club, charmed pie shoppe and books by the bay series) .

I look forward to looking into your series also FirmDeb. That is so cool!!
I also liked Kate Carlisle and Ellery Adams Books by the Bay.
Old 07-24-20, 06:59 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I liked her husband Geoff I wish I had kept those books. My library did have them, but I need to check if they still do. I have not read them in so long. They would seem new to me.
I wish I had kept them as well, since they are out of print at this point. I didn't think my library would still have them, but it looks like they do - in large print versions, even better. I may have to make a library run today.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-20, 07:07 AM  
sherry7899

[QUOTE=txhsmom;2883444]I wish I had kept them as well, since they are out of print at this point. I didn't think my library would still have them, but it looks like they do - in large print versions, even better. I may have to make a library run today.

My library still has them! I am not sure if they have all nine of them. I was checking after midnight. They are only doing curbside pickup at this time. I may wait. I doubt anyone else would be checking them out.I

Abebooks has vendors selling them used.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-20, 07:34 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

This is my genre, too! I've read so many over the years and unfortunately hardly pay attention to the names. I'm also kind of picky about the writing and while I don't expect them to be completely believable, I don't like the really "unbelievable" ones, either, or ones where the clumsy amateur protagonist gets in the way of the police and tries to be a hero. I also have to like the main character.

Lately I've been enjoying the Kate Shackleton mysteries, by Frances Brody. 1920's England. Kate is smart and realistic, a WWI widow. A little society so we can join her for tea in nice hotels and go hat shopping in the High Street But the mysteries are interesting and the setting, well, it's rural England! I do recommend reading them in order.

Another one I'm reading right now is set in France. The Bruno mysteries by Martin Walker. They're more modern, set in a French village.
Old 07-24-20, 10:07 AM  
firmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I forgot to mention the Southern Sisters mystery series by Anne George. They are hilarious!

I also liked Kate Carlisle and Ellery Adams Books by the Bay.
Anne George and The Southern Sisters is one of my favorite series, and I will never part with my paperbacks. I cried when Anne passed away - she was such a light in my life as a favorite author.

Sheila Connolly has multiple series that are pleasant off the top of my head..many of my other favorites have been listed. I wish I could recall who writes the series about rare book restoration- they appeal to the Nancy Drew in me!

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-20, 10:53 AM  
Harivelo

I warmly recommend Julia Stuart's The Pigeon Pie Mystery. It's quirky, fun, lovely, poignant, and it takes place in Hampton Court. A real treat. While you're at it, you may want to read The Matchmaker of Perigord and The Tower, the Zoo and the Tortoise by the same author. Technically they're not mystery novels but they share the same qualities as Pigeon Pie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxOkh-1pwRs
Harivelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-20, 11:19 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
Lately I've been enjoying the Kate Shackleton mysteries, by Frances Brody. 1920's England. Kate is smart and realistic, a WWI widow. A little society so we can join her for tea in nice hotels and go hat shopping in the High Street But the mysteries are interesting and the setting, well, it's rural England! I do recommend reading them in order.

Another one I'm reading right now is set in France. The Bruno mysteries by Martin Walker. They're more modern, set in a French village.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harivelo View Post
I warmly recommend Julia Stuart's The Pigeon Pie Mystery. It's quirky, fun, lovely, poignant, and it takes place in Hampton Court. A real treat. While you're at it, you may want to read The Matchmaker of Perigord and The Tower, the Zoo and the Tortoise by the same author. Technically they're not mystery novels but they share the same qualities as Pigeon Pie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxOkh-1pwRs
I love historical mysteries. I will have to check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmaniac View Post
Anne George and The Southern Sisters is one of my favorite series, and I will never part with my paperbacks. I cried when Anne passed away - she was such a light in my life as a favorite author.

Sheila Connolly has multiple series that are pleasant off the top of my head..many of my other favorites have been listed. I wish I could recall who writes the series about rare book restoration- they appeal to the Nancy Drew in me!
I have all of the Anne George books too. I didn't find her until after she passed away. I was so sad, knowing there would be no more books, it's as if the characters died too. She sounded like a really special lady, Patricia Ann in real life. I re-read them sometimes, they always make me feel better.
Old 07-25-20, 08:34 AM  
tangerine

I love cozy mysteries too!

These are both older series but I loved the "The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter" series by Susan Wittig Albert. They have a nice gentle story arc about Beatrix Potter woven into the mysteries.

And the second is "The Cat Who" series by Lilian Jacson Braun - the writing is impeccable and you can just imagine yourself in the surroundings she describes.

I'm currently reading "Murder Most Frothy" and only a few pages in but liking it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
This is my genre, too! I've read so many over the years and unfortunately hardly pay attention to the names. I'm also kind of picky about the writing and while I don't expect them to be completely believable, I don't like the really "unbelievable" ones, either, or ones where the clumsy amateur protagonist gets in the way of the police and tries to be a hero. I also have to like the main character.
Same for me, I think too many of them are trite and not well written, using too much dialogue to move the story along. Clearly someone must like them because they end up being a long series but a lot of them are not my thing.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, reading