Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-20, 10:05 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
I'm still reading The Testaments and it is SO good. I'm enjoying this far more than I remember enjoying The Handmaid's Tale years ago.
For me, it was very different (in tone, in style) than The Handmaid's Tale. The Testaments almost reads like a modern, action-conspiracy tv show. THT definitely feels more social commentary.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-20, 10:14 AM  
Carol K

To me, the most significant difference is that the women aren't just victims in The Testaments.
Old 03-22-20, 06:06 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I read Above the Bay of Angels by Rhys Bowen. It was a good historical mystery. Now, I'm reading The Wedding Promise by Emma Hannigan and I'm having a hard time putting it down. (Thanks, Sherry!)

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-20, 06:19 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

More time to read!

I am reading a little travel biography Are We French Yet?; just started but am halfway through. Still reading all of my other in-progress books. Took a detour this week to re-read Stephen King's The Stand (really just skimmed/read parts).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-20, 06:24 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I read Above the Bay of Angels by Rhys Bowen. It was a good historical mystery. Now, I'm reading The Wedding Promise by Emma Hannigan and I'm having a hard time putting it down. (Thanks, Sherry!)
You are very welcome! I am so glad you are enjoying it.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-20, 06:33 PM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I finished that about a month ago...it IS so good! I'm contemplating re-reading her Maddaddam trilogy about a pandemic and climate change and then think...would that just make me more anxious? I should be reading something to take my mind off all this craziness!
Read The Second Sleep by Robert Harris. They're supposed to be making it into a series for NBC.
Old 03-23-20, 09:06 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Read The Second Sleep by Robert Harris. They're supposed to be making it into a series for NBC.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll try to get it from the library when they reopen. I can't get an ebook because unfortunately my tablet died a couple of weeks ago. My husband was able to fix it when it died once before, but it is so old that he can't even find fixes online anymore.

That's great news they are making the trilogy into a series. I heard HBO was making it, but then it got shut down. So glad someone else is working on it!
Old 03-23-20, 09:34 AM  
Carol K

Is The Second Sleep part of a trilogy? I read that it would be on NBC, but I was prepared for them to change that, because The Gilded Age was supposed to be on NBC and now it's going to be on HBO. I don't have cable. When I finish The Testaments, if the library still isn't open, I'm going to read A Woman's War, which is one of the sequels to the cancelled Masterpiece series Home Fires. It wasn't available at the library, but my husband got it for me on Amazon for $12.
Old 03-23-20, 09:44 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Is The Second Sleep part of a trilogy? I read that it would be on NBC, but I was prepared for them to change that, because The Gilded Age was supposed to be on NBC and now it's going to be on HBO. I don't have cable. When I finish The Testaments, if the library still isn't open, I'm going to read A Woman's War, which is one of the sequels to the cancelled Masterpiece series Home Fires. It wasn't available at the library, but my husband got it for me on Amazon for $12.
I misunderstood your earlier post, I thought you meant The Maddaddam Trilogy was being developed by NBC. From what I read on Amazon The Second Sleep is not a trilogy.

Once I finish Michelle Obama's memoir I'm going to try to tackle Haruki Murakami's IQ84. It's over a thousand pages so it should last me a while!
Old 03-23-20, 10:04 AM  
Carol K

No, I just thought if you wanted to read something post-apocalyptic, you might like to read something new.

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading