Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-16, 01:44 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post

I am on facebook myself, but I don't post anything and I don't click anything. I have my page shut down so that nobody can post anything on it, and my settings so that nobody can tag me without my approval. My birthdate and phone number are also not available. I guess you could say I'm on facebook the least invasive way I can be by making my privacy settings as tight as I can. I know it isn't perfect, but it's a decent compromise I guess.
Jeanne, this is exactly how I use Facebook as well. I have lived in several different places, so I like being able to stay in touch with people I am genuinely friends with, but that is about all I use Facebook for... well, and VF Roost
Old 12-26-16, 02:12 PM  
little bird

Google Facebook and CIA.

I read somewhere that CIA was instrumental in the development of Facebook. I left Facebook a few years ago when they started sharing your information with "friends of friends". That just didn't seem right to me.

see article and video:
http://www.theonion.com/video/cias-f...ncys-cos-19753
Old 12-26-16, 02:28 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by little bird View Post
Google Facebook and CIA.

I read somewhere that CIA was instrumental in the development of Facebook. I left Facebook a few years ago when they started sharing your information with "friends of friends". That just didn't seem right to me.

see article and video:
http://www.theonion.com/video/cias-f...ncys-cos-19753
The Onion is a parody news site.

That said ... I deleted my Facebook account because I didn't like what they were doing with user information. I also was one of the millions of federal employees whose personal info was hacked a year or so ago. I was never a heavy user of social media anyway, and after the hack I deleted all social media accounts. I change passwords constantly.

I am not tempted by Fitbit because of what could be done with users' health info. After all, no one knew what Facebook was doing with user info, either.

Ditto the DNA test at Ancestry.com, or 23 and Me. One doesn't have to be a conspiracy theorist to imagine what could happen if one's DNA got in the wrong hands, or if this info could be used to start a registry of some sort.

There are enough invasions of privacy these days; I see no need to assist these corporations in gathering more info about me than they already have.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-16, 02:33 PM  
little bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
The Onion is a parody news site.

That said ... I deleted my Facebook account because I didn't like what they were doing with user information. I also was one of the millions of federal employees whose personal info was hacked a year or so ago. I was never a heavy user of social media anyway, and after the hack I deleted all social media accounts. I change passwords constantly.

I am not tempted by Fitbit because of what could be done with users' health info. After all, no one knew what Facebook was doing with user info, either.

Ditto the DNA test at Ancestry.com, or 23 and Me. One doesn't have to be a conspiracy theorist to imagine what could happen if one's DNA got in the wrong hands, or if this info could be used to start a registry of some sort.

There are enough invasions of privacy these days; I see no need to assist these corporations in gathering more info about me than they already have.
This was the first time I read the onion.But, I have read it elsewhere.
Old 12-26-16, 04:04 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanpeanut View Post

My concern is that we're losing the ability to communicate with each other, human to human. I worry that social media is desensitizing us to be able to look each other in the eye and express how we feel, face to face. We need to get better about even the most simple communications in public.
I think about this a lot. I used to mail out many holiday cards every year, and over the past several years, noticed that I was receiving very few. People don't even want to take the time to send cards anymore. I decided this year to mail cards to people who send them to me. I sent e-cards to the people to whom I used to mail paper cards. Most people don't even reply or send e-cards either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post

If you have ever bought a home or had a car loan or just about anything, your information will be public. It will be sold. No one is safe anymore.
That's true, no one is immune to having their info out there for anyone to get. You basically have to live alone on an island, grow your own food, and not have any utilities, in order to avoid being tracked .

Even if you remove all your information from websites that show up with Google searches, it does not stop people from getting your information by paying a very small fee to websites that allow searches on people.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-16, 05:33 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanpeanut View Post
My concern is that we're losing the ability to communicate with each other, human to human. I worry that social media is desensitizing us to be able to look each other in the eye and express how we feel, face to face. We need to get better about even the most simple communications in public.
I totally agree. I have new neighbors (6 months or so) next to us who we rarely see because we keep different hours (work etc). Couple of days ago, my DH and I happened to be getting into our car while the young woman pulled into her driveway that's fairly close to us. She saw us, and rather than just nod and get out of her car, she sat there motionless with her head turned the other way until we pulled away. No, she was not looking at her phone, she just deliberately seemed to be avoiding acknowledging us in any way. Her husband is the same way. This was so awkward and strange to us. We are private people who keep to ourselves, but even we will nod and acknowledge our neighbors. Very weird.
I begin to think it's all the "social media" that's making us lose our social skills.
Old 12-27-16, 09:17 AM  
leigh1673

I have a fitbit and no, it's never occurred to me to be concerned about the "privacy" issue. I mean, my life is pretty mundane. If somebody wants to snoop into it, go for it!

QUOTE=little bird;2682947]Google Facebook and CIA.

see article and video:
http://www.theonion.com/video/cias-f...ncys-cos-19753[/QUOTE]

The Onion is satire!
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-16, 10:23 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
I totally agree. I have new neighbors (6 months or so) next to us who we rarely see because we keep different hours (work etc). Couple of days ago, my DH and I happened to be getting into our car while the young woman pulled into her driveway that's fairly close to us. She saw us, and rather than just nod and get out of her car, she sat there motionless with her head turned the other way until we pulled away. No, she was not looking at her phone, she just deliberately seemed to be avoiding acknowledging us in any way. Her husband is the same way. This was so awkward and strange to us. We are private people who keep to ourselves, but even we will nod and acknowledge our neighbors. Very weird.
I begin to think it's all the "social media" that's making us lose our social skills.
You may be on to something, but I think there have always been very shy and reserved people out there. I had neighbors like this more than once, long before the existence of social media, And there are places where pretty much no one knows their neighbors. Young people are used to being more transient and may not be accustomed to the idea of being friendly with those in their community.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-16, 11:16 AM  
little bird

Quote:
The Onion is satire!
Someone told me that. The first time I read the Onion was yesterday. I have read that somewhere else also.
Old 12-27-16, 11:07 PM  
beanpeanut

[QUOTE=FitBoop;2682969]I think about this a lot. I used to mail out many holiday cards every year, and over the past several years, noticed that I was receiving very few. People don't even want to take the time to send cards anymore. I decided this year to mail cards to people who send them to me. I sent e-cards to the people to whom I used to mail paper cards. Most people don't even reply or send e-cards either.
[/QUOTE

FitBoop, same with me, I was only receiving about three or four and this was a couple of years ago, I did only send cards out to those remaining few but never received any response back last year, guess I'm done, nothing received or sent this year.
beanpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
data mining, fitbit, id theft, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal, privacy, social media, tracking