Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-26-16, 08:24 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
This can actually be a big problem. I've had friends with addictive natures have to stop using the Fitbit because they would be awake all night walking their steps. I'm competitive, but I prefer to compete with myself. So when one of my friends is at 120k steps, I just think "WOW" and move on. I also have an Apple Watch and that commands me to get up every hour - which I like. I guess the new Alta will do that too.
Our bootcamp has a heart rate monitoring system called "My Zone". It's a heart rate device strapped around our torsos, with the monitor directly over our heart. Our heart rate and effort zone shows up on TV monitors on the wall while we're working out. It's so accurate and useful, however, there is an online registration where everyone is synced together. Same thing ... everyone competes. The longer you work out, and the higher your heart rate, the more "MEP's" you get. Everybody is listed in order each month by the number of MEPs earned. Right now I've got 5000+ MEPs for December, the next closest person is at about 3000. I work out a lot, and I work out at high intensity, so it's not surprising that I have a high count. There are several ladies who have decided they want to "win" (who knew we were having a contest?), so they wear the silly monitor all day long. It doesn't give them MEPs quickly, because obviously they are not doing anything but walking around doing daily activities, but if they wear it 12 hours or more, the points add up. I just shake my head. I'm not sure what they think they are "winning".....
Old 12-26-16, 08:33 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
I'm convinced that Facebook is an advanced spy agency. I was on there for a month and then deleted my account. Google tracks our searches, and our cell phones and iPads have apps that track a lot of things, too. I turn off location services if I am not using an app that requires it. It wasn't that long ago when people placed a high priority on privacy. Now, it seems to be the opposite.
I'm with you on the privacy thing. I really think the younger generation (said like a true old lady) is doing themselves a disservice with all the sharing they do.... the constant barrage of photos of their children, checking in everywhere they go, family drama played out for everyone to see. What are they thinking?

For the people around me, it seems mostly to be the mid 20 year olds with young families. I'm not saying that everyone that age fits into this obviously, but in my facebook friend list they seem to be the worst. I have to wonder what these babies who get 100 pictures a week posted of themselves are going to think in about 10 or 15 years when everything they did or said is on the internet. I've even seen photos of potty training. Is nothing sacred?

My 30 year old son and his friends have all removed themselves from facebook. That's pretty interesting to me because they are the ones who "started" it. I can remember when he was 18 years old and in college, and facebook was only for college kids. I didn't even know what it was at first. His dad and I planned a surprise 18th birthday party for him, and after it was over he said it hadn't been a surprise to him because he saw it on facebook. I had no idea what he was talking about!
Old 12-26-16, 11:18 AM  
beanpeanut

My MIL gave me one for Christmas last year, my DD looked up how to use it and she told me I had to give all this personal info; NO! It's still resting in its original packaging and the same gift bag from last Christmas.
beanpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-16, 11:21 AM  
beanpeanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
I just googled myself, and couldn't find anything. Well I found two Google+ posts so I just made my Google+ content private and requested Google to remove the urls from their search engine, but other than that I couldn't find me. Yay!

One thing about Facebook, is they have all these privacy settings, but these websites lure people into relinquishing their privacy, clickbait I think it's called? For example, there will be "fun" quizzes that will tell you who your best Facebook friend is, or what your most commonly used words were; inane stuff really, but it hooks people and in order to take the quizzes you have to give the site permission to view your profile, your friends, etc.
Anti-Facebooker, right here!

Add in: Oops, I mean me! My response made it look like I was accusing antbuko, sorry about that.
Old 12-26-16, 11:31 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted zebra View Post
This may sound like a dumb question, but how do you go about requesting Google to delete search results attached to your name? I would love to know more. TIA!
It is difficult to get Google to remove information. You usually have to contact the webmaster of whatever website has the information that you want to remove. Websites that collect data from sources such as voting records, deeds, social media, and other public information, have procedures to request information removal. Some sites require that you prove your identity by providing driver's license, so while you are requesting info removal, you are providing them with more info about yourself . There are services that remove info from the internet for you, for a fee. There are some websites that are impossible to contact and the info will never be removed.

Jeanne Marie, why did your son and his friends leave Facebook?

One more thing that is potentially dangerous is linking accounts. So many websites ask you to sign in with your Facebook or Google or Yahoo accounts, and that is a recipe for trouble. When hackers are able to get into one account, they then may access information from linked accounts.

I envy people (usually older) who don't use computers, cell phones or credit cards. No one is tracking where they are, what they are doing, buying, saying or thinking. It would be tough to live that way (although we all survived without those things years back).
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-16, 12:23 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
I envy people (usually older) who don't use computers, cell phones or credit cards. No one is tracking where they are, what they are doing, buying, saying or thinking. It would be tough to live that way (although we all survived without those things years back).
I was thinking about this recently and realized that it would mean I'd have to drive everywhere whenever I need something (instead of ordering online), write letters or call people I want to keep in touch with instead of using Facebook, pay for things in cash, go to the bank to cash checks, etc. It could be done, but I'm afraid most people are so used to these conveniences now that it would be tough to go back. We've basically given up privacy for convenience.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-16, 12:35 PM  
PhyllisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I was thinking about this recently and realized that it would mean I'd have to drive everywhere whenever I need something (instead of ordering online), write letters or call people I want to keep in touch with instead of using Facebook, pay for things in cash, go to the bank to cash checks, etc. It could be done, but I'm afraid most people are so used to these conveniences now that it would be tough to go back. We've basically given up privacy for convenience.
I do live like that to a degree. I don't buy much on online...DVDs and books mostly, not on FB so I call, pay in cash or a debit card, go to the bank to cash or deposit checks, have a cell phone for emergencies. Really it is not inconvenient.

Gets me up and out and meeting people. Know the small business owners in my town, the bank personnel and my neighbors.
Feel more connected this way than on FB.
PhyllisG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-16, 01:11 PM  
beanpeanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I do live like that to a degree. I don't buy much on online...DVDs and books mostly, not on FB so I call, pay in cash or a debit card, go to the bank to cash or deposit checks, have a cell phone for emergencies. Really it is not inconvenient.

Gets me up and out and meeting people. Know the small business owners in my town, the bank personnel and my neighbors.
Feel more connected this way than on FB.
I think that's really good, Phyllis! We should all try and do a little more of this.

My concern is that we're losing the ability to communicate with each other, human to human. I worry that social media is desensitizing us to be able to look each other in the eye and express how we feel, face to face. We need to get better about even the most simple communications in public.
Old 12-26-16, 01:32 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:

Jeanne Marie, why did your son and his friends leave Facebook?
Basically they were just over it. They're not interested in sharing everything with everybody. I also think since they were on it so long before the general population, they kind of see it as lame now that everyone does it.

I am on facebook myself, but I don't post anything and I don't click anything. I have my page shut down so that nobody can post anything on it, and my settings so that nobody can tag me without my approval. My birthdate and phone number are also not available. I guess you could say I'm on facebook the least invasive way I can be by making my privacy settings as tight as I can. I know it isn't perfect, but it's a decent compromise I guess.
Old 12-26-16, 01:43 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
My elderly MIL doesn't use computers. She doesn't have web accounts or use a smart phone. She was bragging to me that she had no personal information online.

I did a quick Google search and there she was. Places she had lived. The names of close relatives, etc. She was very surprised.

If you have ever bought a home or had a car loan or just about anything, your information will be public. It will be sold. No one is safe anymore.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
data mining, fitbit, id theft, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal, privacy, social media, tracking