Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-14, 02:37 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlorrie View Post
You could try doing heavy weight training splits. You could do one body part a day for 15-20 minutes. I've done this in the past (with my upper body) and actually gained atrength and increased muscle definition. And since you are doing only 15-20 minutes, maybe you will avoid injuries/sickness??
Lorrie
Could you share what type of program you were doing? I want the strength and definition, but also want to incorporate more flexibility and yoga into my routine. If I can do this with less reps and sets, but higher weight (thus less time) I would love it!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-14, 05:32 PM  
Taiga

My best results always come from a heavy 3 day split with no cardio. Plenty of time to heal/small enough regions so it's very difficult to over-train. And I get better results without spending all my free time working out.

Another aspect not mentioned yet, you will be far less likely to get sick if your nutrition supports your training. High sugar/refined carb intake and low nutrient intake inhibits the immune system. We need an optimal immune system to heal/build muscle and still have enough left over to protect from infection.
Old 09-26-14, 05:44 PM  
Tugger31

Chomper, you mentioned the workouts in the book as "long and grueling" and mentioned the authors "didnt know" better in earlier training and you eluded to Cathe. Can you expound upon this? Thanks!

For the original poster, I've read and have (but not yet done) a program called Visual Impact. It might be something you would be interested in. It's an e-book program.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-14, 11:59 PM  
RubyBlue

Thanks again everyone for the input. Nutrition is something I'm always working on: vegetarian so I try hard to get good-quality protein but it's something that's lacking in my diet , for sure.

I'll look into Visual Impact- thanks!
RubyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-14, 10:25 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

It might be worth it, when lifting heavy, to get a trainer, at least for a while.
Old 09-27-14, 02:12 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Chomper, you mentioned the workouts in the book as "long and grueling" and mentioned the authors "didnt know" better in earlier training and you eluded to Cathe. Can you expound upon this? Thanks!

For the original poster, I've read and have (but not yet done) a program called Visual Impact. It might be something you would be interested in. It's an e-book program.
Hi, yes, well, I found the book Power Strength Training to have a wealth of strength training info, but since the OP stated that she felt heavy strength workouts were compromising her health, wanted to warn her that doing the programs as is in the book, I found to take about 70-80 minutes even when I supersetted exercises. And I made some incredible strength gains, but was starting to feel drained. Now, I was doing total body workouts and there is the option to split the workouts into Push and Pull days. I found only doing 2 total body days to be plenty, and the hour plus lengths to eventually be dread-inducing. I still want my strength workouts to follow the principles he outlined in the book, because I think they are sound and effective.

The Cathe comment I hope won't be controversial. Just that if you went to a strength and conditioning coach for a program, what they will give you will not resemble a Cathe weights DVD in almost any respect. I can post a sample workout I did last year as an example. In this workout I skipped the explosive power exercise that's supposed to be at the beginning. I also only did 3 sets of the exercises instead of 4, ways I'd found to make the workouts shorter and less dread-inducing. Each pairing of exercises is supersetted, and there are 3 sets of 8 reps. About 30 seconds of rest after the second exercise before starting again.

Squats
Romanian deadlifts

Tricep pushups
Bent over DB rows

Overhead DB press
Lat pull downs with a heavy band and door anchor

Soldier planks (bird dogs in plank position)
DB wood chops

Wow it's really nice to look back at my notebook and this workout and see how much stronger I am on these lifts today. A good feeling.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-14, 03:21 PM  
RubyBlue

Thanks Jane- trainer out of the question at the moment but maybe in the future.

Chomper, thanks, that's very helpful. Kinda looks like one of Nia Shanks' programs! That's the kind of thing I'm looking to do.

As much as I love Cathe just can't do all those reps and all that volume. I was the same with Venus Index and similar progs- works for a while then I get sick and burned out.

Thanks again. Well done on your strength gains! Very encouraging.
RubyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-14, 07:02 PM  
TinierTina

I was Never Around for Cathe ... this discussion is INteresting, the say the Least

I bulked in my quads no matter what. Except for when I'd swum laps regularly.

From the occasional gym (did only circuit training on machines over there), dancing, later from step aerobics (at that time), from general calisthenics, w/ low to no ankle weights; and from hatha/vinyasa yoga (at some more recent time); these days, I've scrawny legs except for my quads but I'm recovering from wasting syndrome brought on by disease ...

Thing is, it is kind of tough to get at the inner thighs ...
and kind of tough if you can't afford a gym ... and need lots of cardio, practically every day ...
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-14, 10:54 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyBlue View Post
Thanks again everyone for the input. Nutrition is something I'm always working on: vegetarian so I try hard to get good-quality protein but it's something that's lacking in my diet , for sure.

I'll look into Visual Impact- thanks!
Protein for vegetarians can be challenging. I am also a vegetarian. People doing serious strength training programs need between 1.6 and 1.8 g of protein per kg of body weight. I have been relying heavily on greek yogurt, soy veggie burgers, soy protein powder, eggs, beans, and even cheese. It was eye-opening to track my food on myfitnesspal, with an eye to total protein for the day. Getting the protein I need without going too high in calories can be difficult, but once you figure out how to eat it will just become second nature.

If you weren't getting enough protein during earlier programs, you could have been damaging muscle and then not giving the muscle enough fuel to repair itself. Strength training is such hard work, and it would be a shame to waste the effort!
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-14, 11:04 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Protein for vegetarians can be challenging. I am also a vegetarian. People doing serious strength training programs need between 1.6 and 1.8 g of protein per kg of body weight. I have been relying heavily on greek yogurt, soy veggie burgers, soy protein powder, eggs, beans, and even cheese. It was eye-opening to track my food on myfitnesspal, with an eye to total protein for the day. Getting the protein I need without going too high in calories can be difficult, but once you figure out how to eat it will just become second nature.
Quinoa is also a good source of protein, although I haven't found a favorite quinoa recipe yet. Just some mediocre ones which are edible, but not delicious.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heavy lifting, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal, nia shanks