Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-14, 02:50 PM  
Stephanie84

Do you do cardio and Barre?

I'm doing Barre but what kind of cardio do you do with it - or do you need much cardio?
Stephanie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 03:56 PM  
kmissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie84 View Post
I'm doing Barre but what kind of cardio do you do with it - or do you need much cardio?
I think if you're overweight and looking to lose weight you should do cardio. I was doing pure barre 4-5 days a week and didn't see anything dramatic. I also followed a low carb diet and walked tons since I work in NYC and my office is 20 blocks away from my train. Maybe light jogging or running, spinning? Whichever you prefer or have time for. I think it depends on what your goals are.
kmissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 04:17 PM  
cherimac

I've lost quite a bit of weight over the last 11 months. The first 1/2 I did more cardio. Since February, I've walked and done barre with mostly SBF doing only her cardio or a short low intensity workout with Jessica Smith. The weight came off faster. And I had drastically cleaned up my diet at the beginning so that wasn't it. Go figure.
Old 07-28-14, 04:26 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I don't do any cardio in addition to barre. If weight loss is an issue, I'd suggest really addressing diet and other lifestyle issues (getting enough sleep, enough general movement throughout the day, etc.) I find for myself, additional cardio isn't necessary to maintain my weight. It often just makes me hungry and less inclined to move around throughout my day. I know some people find cardio is essential for weight loss/management, so it seems everyone is different and needs to find that 'sweet spot!'
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 04:36 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Do you mean for weight loss or general cardio health? One of the times I restarted with Callanetics, I did it twice a week in a class and lost weight. And that was all the exercise I could manage at the time. But like anything your body adapts and I stopped losing weight after about a month (as has always been the case with my body if I stick to something longer than a month.) But I still continued to get the other benefits that Callanetics gave me, including greater strength, flexibility, better shape/tightening up, and overall feeling of well-being.

But if you want to develop your cardio ability, you might have to pick up some cardio exercise. I do breath heavy and sweat in Callanetics, but its more of a start stop sort of thing...and not in an HIIT sort of way.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 08:08 PM  
caitlinpyle

I do. I teach spinning so I'm kinda forced to, but I also do SBF cardio, rebounding, and sometimes step aerobics. I like cardio and I like getting all nice and sweaty :-)

Barre, Indoor Walking, and Rebounding Lover

Favorites: Suzanne Bowen, Jessica Smith, Ellen Barrett
caitlinpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 10:59 PM  
altinker

I started off my fitness journey doing just barre. I used Fluidity first, then Bar Method, and then moved to P57 and others. I found that I was getting results in my rear, hips, and thighs and arms as far as tone goes, but I didn't lose any weight. I had to watch my diet and do cardio because I realized that most of the barre workouts I was doing really only burned 200 to 300 calories. I noticed the best results when I did high intensity dance workouts (wearing a heart rate monitor) on one day, and then the next I would do barre. I also calorie cut using myfitnesspal to track calories. So, I would aim for 1200 calories, but I would really eat 1500 or 1600 calories -- making sure to burn at least 300 calories extra a day. Unfortunately, I am not disciplined enough to just cut my calories down to 1200 and do barre and work out. I feel too starved.

Good luck finding the right fit of diet/exercise that works for you.
altinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 07:09 AM  
caitlinpyle

yeah 1200 is very few for those who are active!! 1700 seems to be my happy place with my chosen diet.

Barre, Indoor Walking, and Rebounding Lover

Favorites: Suzanne Bowen, Jessica Smith, Ellen Barrett
caitlinpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 08:48 AM  
Stephanie84

Thanks guys!

I will have longer days when I do 1/2 cardio and 1/2 Barre.

What is SBF?
Stephanie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 10:14 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

SBF is Suzanne Bowen Fitness, she has a streaming workouts subscription service online. I am doing SBF and LOVING it. I have liked other types of barre (notably P57) but I LOVE SBF.

I walk frequently, but these are power walks on tough hills; intensity-wise, almost more like jogging because of the hills.

SBF workouts take me about 30 minutes a day (anywhere from 20 to 40). I walk about 50 minutes at least 3 times a week, or do some other form of cardio.

Personally, I prefer some cardio with my barre. "Need" it? --I don't know. I just know I feel better overall doing regular cardio, and I always have.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
my fitness pal, myfitnesspal