Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-14, 01:15 PM  
slysam

I imagine it will be attractive to people who have and are happy with Garmin HRM or other devices that want a wrist worn tracker. I am kind of surprised that the long established companies didn't get into activity trackers sooner. The Polar Loop only works with the Polar bluetooth hrm straps (H6 and H7 I believe). I would sort of expect this to work with specific Garmin straps. If it is Ant+ it might work for swimming if they made it waterproof. The Polar Loop is waterproof and can be worn swimming but the HRM signal it uses is the low energy bluetooth and it doesn't work in water (according to their product specs, I looked at this as I was considering a wrist worn accelerometer for water exercise though I am happy with my Fibit One and Digifit I Cardio app /Polar H7 tracking combination). I am not sure whether this is true about teh Loop, but it was mentioned in reviews that it gives either the movement or HRM stats not both at the same time on their website/app. This was abit of a deal breaker for me since I currently get both at the same time between my Fitbit and HRM though I have to look at two apps/websites to see all the details of both. Hopefully the Garmin better integrates the two as so far I don't think any of the devices that directly sync with an optional HRM really do a good job integrating both devices data in the way I would like to see. (My ideal would to somehow combine the information on my Fitbit account and Digifit account in a way that is easy to read--probably easier said than done).

Raeven, If it works with any ant+, it may work with the polar H7? I'd check the stats as it may be designed to work with certain hrm's but the H7 has both bluetooth and Ant+ signals. I have a H7 and mine works with my old Polar F11 HRm watch and with the equipment in my sometimes gym through Ant+. I've worn it swimming with my F11 and it worked. I think the H6 is the smart bluetooth only, but the H7 has both smart bluetooth and ant+ which is why it is the more expensive of the two. I think the issue would be more whether Garmin programs it to work with other manufacturers products.

If any of you get one, please post reviews!
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-14, 03:22 PM  
pgun3

I purchased this so I hope I like it. I bought the bundle with the hrm strap with it.
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-14, 05:49 PM  
AZY
VF Supporter

Has anyone tried the BioForce HRV package? It is spendy, but sounds very interesting. When I was in clinical practice there was a lot of interest in measuring heart rate variability as a measure of cardiovascular stability - the less variable, the less 'healthy', but not sure how this things makes predictions about your physical state. But an interesting concept, and just wondered if there was experience here.

THanks!
Anne Y

Oh, here is the link:

http://www.bioforcehrv.com/
AZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-14, 09:23 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZY View Post
Has anyone tried the BioForce HRV package? It is spendy, but sounds very interesting. When I was in clinical practice there was a lot of interest in measuring heart rate variability as a measure of cardiovascular stability - the less variable, the less 'healthy', but not sure how this things makes predictions about your physical state. But an interesting concept, and just wondered if there was experience here.

THanks!
Anne Y

Oh, here is the link:

http://www.bioforcehrv.com/
Not this one, but I did use an HRV app and my polar H7 hrm strap every morning before coffee for a while. perhaps, I was misunderstanding but the directions seemed to imply higher variability was good. I know when my score was high it said I was okay to train as usual, but when it was low it suggested a rest day or an active recovery day (depending how low). The funny thing for me, if I did an hour long vigorous workout, the next day I was fine, but two days later it suggests a rest day. The app I used didn't factor in the actual workout just the HRV. One day it was really low for a couple days and kept telling me to take rest days--I thought something was wrong but then later the third day it said this I got a sore throat and ended up with a nasty cold. So I guess the "rest day" suggestions may have been when I was trying to fight off this cold. So I do think there is something to it, but I haven't tried the expensive devices people use for HRV just an iphone app and my hrm strap.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-14, 06:13 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Sue, this might be another good choice for the pool:
http://uncrate.com/stuff/atlas-fitness-tracker/

Tags
atlas, bioforce hrv, fitness tracker, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal, polar h7, vivofit