Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-12, 12:30 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter
 
KayB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: East TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielle96 View Post
Tall box climbs/step ups really make my heart rate soar but regular leg presses do not. What really gave me the shape in my "fanny" was heavy deadlifts. They give me the indent "where the glutes and the hamstrings meet". I remember that line from the infomercials.
I believe the proper terminology for this is "THUT!"
__________________
SpecialK
"If you're going to have a big butt; have a GREATbig butt!" Gin Miller
Breast cancer Survivor!
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 12:32 PM  
slysam
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
I feel tall box step ups in my glutes and hamstrigs. Really everywhere. hmmm... When I use the box for faster step ups like the 3 minute step test we use to do in PE class for the Presidential fitness test--I do feel that in my quads especially just above of the knees. (I use to do that regularly to test my aerobic fitness improvements). I am not sure why it is different, perhaps the speed. I do have a habit of lifting the opposite leg a little and squeezing the glutes at the top of a step up to get an extra balance and core challenge.

But I never did just one exercise for the glutes, when I was regularly doing step ups I was also doing deadlifts, single legged deadlifts (usually unweighted), single legged squats sometimes a bit of barre and for a month I also did bbl. And I think I started kettlebell swings somewhere in there. So it is hard to say what really helped the my glutes and hamstrings. I do think deadlifts and swings are probably better. And that exercises that work one side at a time are good (which step ups do, but maybe for one weak side isolated exercises would be more beneficial?)

The square bum thing makes me thing it must be at least a little about bodytype similar to how some people build their calves or quads very easily. Or maybe it is just hard for everyone to step up at the right angle on equipment that you can't really adjust?
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 02:29 PM  
mtngoat
 
mtngoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Lately I've been doing some old Cathe's which include the high step climbs with the band. I think that I feel these in all the 'right' places better than when I do them with weights. (I can feel them even when I use the band with a lower step. It really seems to target the muscles nicely.)

I agree with what everyone said about deadlifts (love them!), but nothing has built my butt better than kettlebells. It turned my pancake butt into a nice round butt.

(I never am sure what 'lifted' means in reference to the butt. My butt is naturally flat, so there is nothing to lift. After using kettlebells I have a rounded butt, but still nothing that could be lifted. Does that mean lifted as in distance from the floor? Or lifted as in farther out from the axis of the body? )
__________________
Lori

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 02:44 PM  
Breezy Trousers
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
I began doing 2 or 3 Firms a week back in the late 90's. I wasn't interested in shaping my rear end but simply bought a fanny lifter in order to do the workouts. Within a month or two, I began getting comments about how "nice" my rear looked .... That never happened before ... I don't have a flat butt, but I think the fanny lifter definitely made my bubble butt more "bubbly."

Maybe I need to pull that thing out again.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 02:50 PM  
alisoncooks
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: TarHeel country
My Fanny Lifter gets used every day...
(the top half, my youngest DD uses to reach the bathroom sink & the lower half, my other DD uses to get into her tall bed... )
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 03:08 PM  
rhbrand
VF Supporter
 
rhbrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Iowa
It helps my rear end look much better.

Along with heavy squats and deadlifts. Those 3 are staples in my lower body workouts.
__________________
Check out my Blog Link in Profile on Home Page
rhbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 03:46 PM  
Artist of Eyes
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The windy prairie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngoat View Post
Lately I've been doing some old Cathe's which include the high step climbs with the band. I think that I feel these in all the 'right' places better than when I do them with weights. (I can feel them even when I use the band with a lower step. It really seems to target the muscles nicely.)

I agree with what everyone said about deadlifts (love them!), but nothing has built my butt better than kettlebells. It turned my pancake butt into a nice round butt.

(I never am sure what 'lifted' means in reference to the butt. My butt is naturally flat, so there is nothing to lift. After using kettlebells I have a rounded butt, but still nothing that could be lifted. Does that mean lifted as in distance from the floor? Or lifted as in farther out from the axis of the body? )
This made me think about the people that said they felt it in the quads. For the longest time, especially with Muscle Max, I felt it in my quads and rarely the hamstrings for the Leg Press/Box Climbs with a band. But something as simple as back posture (not leaning forward even on the slightest angle), pressing with the heel, and squeezing the glute as you came up and down is what changed the focus of the workout. I can remember Cathe saying something to the effect of feeling it her butt and it took me forever to get the hang of that movement. Leg Press on a machine or with a rack, no problem. But a band and step, it felt like rocket science to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
I began doing 2 or 3 Firms a week back in the late 90's. I wasn't interested in shaping my rear end but simply bought a fanny lifter in order to do the workouts. Within a month or two, I began getting comments about how "nice" my rear looked .... That never happened before ... I don't have a flat butt, but I think the fanny lifter definitely made my bubble butt more "bubbly."

Maybe I need to pull that thing out again.
Ditto! Some people don't like Bubble Butts, I love them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
It helps my rear end look much better.

Along with heavy squats and deadlifts. Those 3 are staples in my lower body workouts.
Agree.
__________________
"Ladies put some full-fat ranch on your salad. Have that slice of cheesecake. Then go for a walk and kiss your loved ones and dance around your house in your underwear. Life is good." Anonymous

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 06:17 PM  
videofit
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
It gave me a squarish, bigger butt. I get better results with a smaller, rounder, lifted butt from doing any of Margaret Richard's famous floorwork.
__________________
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled." Mark Twain
videofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 07:56 PM  
Breezy Trousers
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist of Eyes View Post
Ditto! Some people don't like Bubble Butts, I love them!
Ha! You're kind, AofE. Frankly, I'm not crazy about mine and my husband couldn't care less (though he thinks it's hilarious when I wear yoga pants while we're running errands after class because he can tattletale on things I'm oblivious to). For me, being at the right weight makes for a great rear view, more so than doing all the fanny lifter, deadlift, squats, kettlebell, barre exercises etc. in the world. I store weight in that area, kinda like a camel. Those exercises just lend some gentle tweaking once I get to a size 4. In fact, if I wore a size 4 blue jean right now, I'd be so into this stuff, I'd probably have to join Fanny Lifters/Deadlifters Anonymous. The problem is that I don't get to see my butt as often as others do, so it's hard to muster any ambition for it. (That's okay, though. There are things like world hunger to worry about, too ... )
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 08:09 PM  
rose181
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
My Fanny Lifter gets used every day...
(the top half, my youngest DD uses to reach the bathroom sink & the lower half, my other DD uses to get into her tall bed... )
Mine too!! The best bathroom sink step in the world! Oh, and my long step bench tilted on a chair makes an awesome car racing track.
rose181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
butt, fanny lifter, glutes, results, spongebob butt

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2009 Video Fitness