Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-12, 09:14 AM  
bearcatfan

I had a small Jane Fonda step. Before that, though, I had the Jane Fonda book (which I received one Christmas, as you can see in my avatar).

My mom had something we called the Jiggle Machine. Not sure what it ever did, but it had a strap that you put around your butt and it .... jiggled.
Old 02-22-12, 09:18 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

My Mom used to fall for every new gadget back in the day .... gee Mom, thanks for starting me on the path!

I believe the first one was the rickety little ab wheel. One fat, unfit child / one overweight, non-exercising Mom + two abdominal sections suddenly subjected to the dreadful wheel = Pat's first backache and Mom lying on the floor for three days. That's what we did back then for backaches - you lay down on the floor. We started getting better at it though and the cats enjoyed swiping at it when one of us was rolling.

Then came the doorknob attachment with the handles and footstraps. I actually lost weight with that one and enjoyed it a lot. My first reformer experience?

I remember something along the lines of a long rubber tube with loops at each end - was that a Jack LaLanne item? It came with a list of exercises.

If only we used any of them for more than a few weeks.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 10:14 AM  
jhsimpson

HydroTone Boot and Bell: http://www.aquagear.com/Hydro-Tone-m28.html
(note the original Hydrotones were Blue and Red and only the boot and bell were around in the 80s - no Mini or Float Belts)

Still in HighSchool and lifeguarding at the local CC. These thing appeared in the late 80s with a poster. So initially the guards had to rotate days of instructing the AM M-F exercise class for members. Towards the end of the summer I was instructing all of the classes and having the other lifeguards cover my weekends. Since we got paid hourly I kept a nearly 40 hr M-F schedule!

I was hideous - Had my cassette tape boom box playing those 'Hooked On Classics' while I was running class either on deck (demonstrating) or in the pool!
jhsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 10:22 AM  
Sissy B

Pat - My dad had an ab wheel when I was growing up. Of course, he was in good enough shape to actually use it. I never really could. He also had a upper body exerciser that had handles with 3 or 4 springs attached that you pulled to work your chest. I had forgotten about these until I read your post above.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 10:31 AM  
MKEMom

My parents had all kinds of stuff. My dad was (is) a really big golfer, so he had a bunch of spring-loaded isometric type gadgets for strengthening his hands and forearms. Later he had this thing called a swingmaster (I think?) that he actually promoted in some golf magazine. We used to goof around with that stuff all the time.

They had an Aerodyne, a Nordic Track (That got a ton of use), a Health Rider (I actually used that quite a bit in the seventh grade, but I will say that time stands still while using the Health Rider ) My dad also had a huge Marcy weight lifting station. It was giagantic and we'd all gather around/under it when tornado sirens went off because we figured we'd be safer under that thing than anything else. Later he sold it on ebay and bought himself a Bowflex, also sold later on ebay.

My first purchase was the Fanny Lifter.
MKEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 10:47 AM  
kristi

My first gadget purchase was a teal/pink step. It was super light and shorter, but it served its purpose at the time since I lived in a small apartment.
kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 11:04 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
Pat - My dad had an ab wheel when I was growing up. Of course, he was in good enough shape to actually use it. I never really could. He also had a upper body exerciser that had handles with 3 or 4 springs attached that you pulled to work your chest. I had forgotten about these until I read your post above.

~Sissy B
I remember that gizmo - The Bullworker! From TV ads only, me and Mom were not Bullworkers.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 11:04 AM  
vplan

Firm Fanny Lifter for me
Old 02-22-12, 11:28 AM  
ilovemygreatdane

The Reebock Step which I still have and use. Got my money's worth!
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 10:18 PM  
IrishOT

I remember playing with that 5 minute body shaper string thing that attached to the door knob and getting the ropes all tangled, I don't think my mom ever used it and I don't think I ever really figured out how it was supposed to work. I also remember that heavy spring thing that my mom had when I was a kid and I remember pinching the skin on my legs on the spring and it hurt
http://www.sourcingmap.com/pull-spri...e-p-96283.html

The first gadget besides weights that I purchased for myself was that sculpting belt that came with Lelsie's WATP for Abs set, followed by the Fanny Lifter and the Scuplting stick.
IrishOT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, fitness gadgets, gadgets