Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-27-11, 08:20 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Jo View Post
My husband and I own both.

Skogg, hands down. LOVE it.

Just thought I'd throw this out there: I just finished the Skogg 60 Day Challenge. Lost 24 pounds. Have been doing Skogg since August 1st. I've lost 46.5 pounds.

Yes, oh yes, I love Skogg. Building muscle, getting strong, and kicking fat to the curb.
WOW, congratulations, Just_Jo!!!!!
Old 11-27-11, 09:26 AM  
pumptmuscle

I'm really confused right now.

A few weeks ago, someone made a poll about whether we preferred RKS or Skogg and RKS came out on top. I think the ratio was almost 2 to 1 in favor of RKS. Everyone here tho says they prefer Skogg. Have opinions changed?

I got really lucky last week and was able to trade for RKS; it should be here early this week. I don't think I'll regret having it, at the absolute least because I can easily trade it if needed, but should I have focused more on getting Skogg? I saw so many great things said about RKS, including during one of the longest threads we've had in a while, that the posts here confuse me.

I know that there are breakdowns for each but I prefer not to see them and focus more on being surprised. I don't expect RKS to be a fun workout but one that offers variety due to it's shorter workouts. I could do one a day, maybe 2 a day sometimes, use them as add ons, some type of mini or full rotation, etc.

For those who have both, what type of exerciser would you say each program caters to?

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
pumptmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-11, 10:45 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumptmuscle View Post

A few weeks ago, someone made a poll about whether we preferred RKS or Skogg and RKS came out on top. I think the ratio was almost 2 to 1 in favor of RKS. Everyone here tho says they prefer Skogg. Have opinions changed?

For those who have both, what type of exerciser would you say each program caters to?
I think you're just hearing from the Skogg camp right now. It's early yet.

The Skogg system is very methodical. There are limited moves and his goal is for you to get them down cold and build strength along the way. The RKS system is more varied. These workouts also include body weight exercises and are of varying lengths throughout the system. With Skogg's system, the workouts simply increase in length as you go because you're adding more reps.

Truth be told, I think the RKS workouts have more of a fun factor (at least some of the less grueling ones) because of the variety.

Not all of the RKS workouts are shorter than Skoggs. If you're doing level one of Skogg's, I think they would be as short as some of the RKS ones. I think I'm the one who did the breakdowns you're avoiding but I can't remember all of the times for the two sets.
Old 11-27-11, 01:12 PM  
suegy3

Quote:

I have both and prefer RKS. I passed over this thread for days though because this has already been discussed many times. The instructional on Skogg is awesome but the 6 exercises get a little boring.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-11, 03:00 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Both systems have such a different feel.

For teaching alone, Skogg wins hands down. If I went for personal instruction, I'd want Michael to coach me (but I don't live on the West coast.) The workouts themselves are very basic, and build on each other. Not very exciting, but excellent foundation and fundamentals. A great place to begin, but also go back to (if you've been away from KB for a while.) He does things the right way, very safe, effective if you stick with it. ETA: although later level workouts move at too fast a pace.

RKS has the variety and body weight additions that Skogg's is lacking. The set, productions and celebrity factor is flashier. You're outdoors (instead of working in a gym.) I don't think Doug adds that much to these, but guess their market or audience is different. Owen, on the other hand has excellent form and does offer form reminders via voice over. It's very Hollywood and maybe geared for younger exercisers. If this system had a more thought out rotation, I think it would have worked better. With minimal instruction, I'm not sure it's wise to have people doing snatches in the final workout (but I learned elsewhere, and had no problems with the last workout.) It's the first time exercises that are ordering this from an infomercial that I would be worried for. Another benefit to RKS is their CS is EXCELLENT. They will make things right, and treat their customers well. I have not seen a more generous or caring fitness business (and I own lot's of workouts!)

I like both for different reasons. I definitely have exercise ADD, so prefer the variety that RKS offers. Having said that, I very well intend to purchase anything in the future that Skogg's puts out! Would love to see more from him. ETA: I'd also want Owen to do his own system (no offense to Doug) but Owen is the professional, and the one to look to for guidance.

Pam

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-11, 07:28 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
I got really lucky last week and was able to trade for RKS; it should be here early this week.
I'm glad you asked that question, Bob, but going off topic:

RKS in a trade? You got the trade of the century!
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-11, 07:38 PM  
pumptmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
I'm glad you asked that question, Bob, but going off topic:

RKS in a trade? You got the trade of the century!
Hehe, ty I know. I think it's the most expensive single item I've ever gotten through trade. I traded it for CLX which I never even used so passing it on to someone who wanted it was a no brainer.

I'm really looking forward to getting it. This will probably be my best trade ever.

** 50 time marathoner
Old 11-27-11, 08:10 PM  
Just_Jo

I'm not saying RKS is bad at all. To me, it's not a system it's a group of workouts. We have done the swing DVD three or four times. I have watched all the workouts. RKS is just not Skogg. Skogg is a system that is well designed and gives results. Not saying RKS doesn't give results, I've read bits of that huge thread, but I know what Skogg has done for me and my DH first hand.

With Skogg, though, form is getting perfected. We just get better and better. We have not got bored--husband and I work out together. We stared at level two and quickly moved to level 3. If it gets easy, up the weights and it's no longer easy. I am still shocked at how quickly a workout is completed.

I have never been bored doing Skogg--ever. I can't say that for the rest of my DVDs except a couple of my FIRMS, which I haven't done since July. Michael is a very good instructor and like someone else mentioned, I would love to workout at his studio. Very likeable.

I can't wait until his new system comes out. Hopefully it will be soon. We have finished the rotation, but started up again. This is the first rotation I have ever completed and that says something because I am a die-hard Benson-era FIRM fan. Never could make it through the 90-Day Rotation because I got bored.

Different strokes for different folks. You just have to find what works for you. I got AMAZING results with Skogg. My husband has really built up his arms. He was pretty fit before, but he's going heavy and doing the work and reaping the rewards.
Just_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-11, 08:38 PM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
I have both and prefer RKS. I passed over this thread for days though because this has already been discussed many times. The instructional on Skogg is awesome but the 6 exercises get a little boring.
this....

i've completed several RKS rotations (my own verion) but haven't EVER been able to do even one skogg rotation at all... too, too boring... great instruction and the workouts are fun to throw in once in a while... but for longevity and fun factor.... it's RKS all the way!
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-11, 10:19 PM  
pumptmuscle

I appreciate the clarifications. I'm actually glad to hear this cause I want something that's more a group of workouts than a rotational program per se. The whole reason I traded CLX having never even watched any of it was because I'm not interested in workouts designed to be used as rotational workouts (CLX, P90X, etc). I thought I was at the time I got CLX but I realized shortly after that rotations are just not my thing.

It's definitely true about different strokes for different folks. Some like variety, like me, and some like structure so the more options, the better.

After the things mentioned in the last few posts, I'm looking forward to getting RKS even more now.

** 50 time marathoner

Tags
reinhardt kb system, rks, skogg