Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-10, 10:01 AM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Jo View Post
I have one of these! DH bought it years ago and I always wanted to get rid of it because I used it once and he never does. I'm glad we kept it, because I also found the video that came with it. I think it's the Kim Alexis--is that the model? I'll have to bring it up to my workout room a.k.a. the living room and give it a try! I bet my son would love it.

Thanks for piqueing my memory.
Kim Alexis - Slim Slide!!!! My very first foray into home fitness - I went through about three slides before they each wore out and I couldn't find them anymore!

I did catch a glimpse of one flipping through the channels last week on Biggest Loser. I looked up the model and the dang thing was around $300!

Sliding was a lot of fun, I would love to incorporate it back into my routine again - I sure had lovely legs from all that sliding!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 10:06 AM  
alisoncooks

I honestly had no idea what a slide board is. Had to go look it up on youtube...
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 10:10 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post

I honestly had no idea what a slide board is. Had to go look it up on youtube...
LOL! I think it's just some of us showing our age

I wish I hadn't given mine away when I moved as I pretended I still had last night, "skating" on my carpet with slippy socks whilst I watched the Olympics in the wee hours.
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 02:16 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Make your own slide

A VFer gave instructions for making your own slide several years ago. It's in the 18th post on this thread: Anyone still use a slide?

If slide is making a comeback, I'm sure DVDs will follow.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 06:21 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I hope slides will come back. I still have my Reebok slide. I loved using it, but I also love to skate and it's a similar feeling. I remember years back searching for every slide video I could find. It's a great workout, and works muscles in a unique way.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 06:32 PM  
kpieczy

I saw that episode of the biggest loser. I remembered the cheap slide I purchased. It wouldn't stay out so I couldn't even work out with it. I was drooling over the nice slides they had on the program.

Has anyone tried Mindy's Gliding? I rented her "All About Legs" video & she has a gliding section. It reminds me a tad bit of sliding.
Old 02-18-10, 06:50 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I don't know if they're back. Hopefully the Biggest Loser will have helped get them back in mainstream and not be so spendy. They've been out there all these years on fitness sites, just mainly as a thing that pro athletes get. Some of them are $500.

I had the Cheryl Tiegs one and LOVED it so much that I had a bad comedy of errors in getting a replacement slide last year. First there was a creepy Craigslist guy who led us down to his gated, remote storage facility before saying --when he realized we weren't getting out of the car-- he didn't own a Reebok slide. Then I bought one on eBay that was supposedly in great shape but has such a bad crease in the center that it can't be used. Maybe Ill try making one now. I really loved sliding. So much fun.

Oh, my other tip is to spring for the pricey booties (about $12) and not get the cheapo 6 pair for $5 ones.
Old 02-18-10, 08:42 PM  
kat_b

I'm just hoping it gets interest that leads to DVDs. One of my favorite videos is one I have never seen mentioned here: Step and Slide. My VCR came yesterday so I'm going to hook it up tomorrow and pull that out.

For booties, when mine wore out I bought booties designed for bowling. They seem to work, too.
kat_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 10:42 PM  
sophie kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-lara View Post
I had the Cheryl Tiegs one and LOVED it so much that I had a bad comedy of errors in getting a replacement slide last year. First there was a creepy Craigslist guy who led us down to his gated, remote storage facility before saying --when he realized we weren't getting out of the car-- he didn't own a Reebok slide. Then I bought one on eBay that was supposedly in great shape but has such a bad crease in the center that it can't be used. Maybe Ill try making one now. I really loved sliding. So much fun.
yikes! thank goodness nothing happened to you. by comparison, the ebay one could be considered funny in a 'what can you do?' sort of way...

ETA: i wouldn't mind giving it a try. looks like fun.

I my VF friends!
sophie kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-10, 02:07 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_b View Post
I'm just hoping it gets interest that leads to DVDs. One of my favorite videos is one I have never seen mentioned here: Step and Slide. My VCR came yesterday so I'm going to hook it up tomorrow and pull that out.

For booties, when mine wore out I bought booties designed for bowling. They seem to work, too.

Step and Slide, with Liz Dyer? I have had that one for such a long time now. I would like it better if it was Slide and Step--the step section tires your legs and the Slide section gets tough at the end. I've done it the other way and it works better for me.

I think slides were a very underappreciated fitness tool. I've used mine for many years and it's a workout like nothing else.

I need some new booties, I'll have to go shopping for them now.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide board, slide boards, sliding