Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-22, 01:46 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
badminton (really?)
no pickleball? that's it. the world has gone to pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
Therefore, it doesn’t track well for weight workouts or yoga, but it has heart rate, steps, blood pressure, oxygen saturation, weather, and a breathing tool for stress.
these are really good features. is the blood pressure reading somewhat accurate? 02 sat is also impressive. how much does this one cost if you don't mind my asking?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-22, 10:03 AM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
no pickleball? that's it. the world has gone to pot.

these are really good features. is the blood pressure reading somewhat accurate? 02 sat is also impressive. how much does this one cost if you don't mind my asking?

Update: EBay has them now and not on Amazon. I guess mine is so old it’s no longer available

I think the blood pressure is fairly accurate, 02 as well. I bought it several years ago when my original Fitbit Surge cracked and I could no longer replace the band. I bought it off of Amazon and there’s even an app for it.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-22, 05:38 AM  
adrien_73

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
adrien_73 - Have you contacted FitBit CS? My Versa 3 started overheating after just over a year of use. I contacted Fitbit CS and after giving them the details & sending it back to them at their expense, they are sending me a new one. In the meantime, I got a good deal a Charge 5 on Prime day as I’m totally lost without a watch. I quite like the smaller size so I’ll see whether I keep both or sell the Versa. I lost a FB Flex years ago because of a faulty strap design and they sent me a new one then. So I am impressed with their CS.
Hi yogapam,

Yes, I did email them and they said it wasn't covered by warranty but they offered 35% off a new device. They used to be generous with replacements but now it seems that if it has been over a year, they only offer a discount.
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-22, 11:01 AM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien_73 View Post
I appreciate the recommendations and enjoyed reading everyone's experiences!

I am ashamed to admit how fickle I am...

I was in BJs today and they had a Fitbit Versa 2 marked down, and I caved! It is less than the Charge 5 and also counts flights of stairs. This was not a requirement for me but I try to integrate hills in my walks so I appreciate this data. I am going to hang the receipt on my fridge for when this one bites the dust! Then I will try the Vivosmart. (It was right next to the Fitbit and I was tempted by it...)

I am still going to wear my cheapo Wyze tracker until it stops working so I can compare metrics!
I was just checking out Consumer Reports. They don't offer any insights on longevity, but they did some scoring on other factors that can make you feel good about your choice:

They gave the Fitbit Versa2 a score of 5 of 5 in most categories (step count accuracy, heart rate monitor accuracy, ease of use, and water resistance). It got a 4 out of 5 for versatility.

They gave the Garmin Vivosmart5 a 4 out of 5 for step count accuracy, a 3 out of 5 for heart rate monitor accuracy, and a 5 out of 5 for ease of use, versatility and water resistance.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 07:54 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geojill View Post
I think that the Garmin Vivosmart https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/782585 is probably closest to the Fitbit Charge (insert latest model). It does all the same things without venturing into the smart watch arena. It seems that all the other fitness trackers I have seen are more like a smart watch. I really wish that Fitbit Charge 3 was still sold and that Fitbits had a longer lifespan in general. Eons ago I had a Garmin tracker that used a watch battery, but it also didn’t have heart rate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
The only comment I have about the Garmin Vivosmart is that IIRC the band can't be replaced. When I was looking at other options being fed up with the Charge 3 I looked into the "vivo" series that was a negative for me. Yes, superficial, but I like to replace the bands and what do you do if the band breaks on the Vivosmart? This may have changed with later iterations of the Vivosmart.
Hi I searched here for info on Fitness trackers. I checked the Vivosmart 5 on Amazon and it looks like you can replace the band. Has anyone tried this tracker?
What additional features are usually included in a smart watch? The ones I have seen appear to be quite large so I didn't really look into it as an option but still wondering.

ETA: LAC what issue of Consumer Reports reviews the fitness trackers? I have access to it at my library.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 08:02 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Anyone try the Samsung Galaxy Fit?
Old 11-01-22, 12:22 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I've been using a Garmin Forerunner for years. I have the Forefunner 745. Love it.
Old 11-01-22, 01:45 PM  
seabliss

DH and I have the Fitbit Inspire 2. Yeah, it's older, but it does all the things we want (and were mentioned in Adrien-73's list). We paid $50 on eBay/Amazon sale, but now there are a lot on eBay for in the 40s. I like it too because you can optionally buy a clip and attach it to your bra if you don't want to wear it like a watch. Has worked fine for us so far (almost 2 years for me).
Old 11-02-22, 06:29 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
I've been using a Garmin Forerunner for years. I have the Forefunner 745. Love it.
My DIL has this and loves it but I don't think it tracks other activities like weights workouts, etc.

Tags
fitbit, fitness trackers, samsung