Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-22, 01:18 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

HIIT has also become a rather annoying buzzword. If you are genuinely doing HIIT, you are probably not doing it for 45m. Yet hTVow many 45 minute "HIIT workouts" do you see? HIIT workouts shouldn't exceed 30m from what I've read. Not every interval workout is HIIT, some are more moderate and THAT IS OK, but they are still marketed as HIIT.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-22, 02:09 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
HIIT has also become a rather annoying buzzword. If you are genuinely doing HIIT, you are probably not doing it for 45m. Yet hTVow many 45 minute "HIIT workouts" do you see? HIIT workouts shouldn't exceed 30m from what I've read. Not every interval workout is HIIT, some are more moderate and THAT IS OK, but they are still marketed as HIIT.
Yes, it’s really mostly a fitness fad at this point. Before that many fitness instructors talked about intervals for many years. Most of the HIIT videos I see are just remarketed interval workouts.

And how could they not be? If you are pushing yourself with a timer on a bike or other machine, or doing sprints outside, then you can maybe do true HIIT if you are able to push yourself hard enough. If you are doing a prescribed workout of burpees or kickboxing moves or whatever, it may or may not be enough to hit the anaerobic threshold for you. A video instructor doesn’t know you and can’t see your heart rate or how hard you are working.

I still like doing video “HIIT” workouts sometimes. I like pushing myself hard if it’s still relatively fun, although if it is still fun, is it HIIT? And I really like that I can make a hard effort for a shorter time and be done. But as to whether it really improves my fitness, I’m not so sure.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-22, 03:17 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I do my Hiit workouts on a stationary bike using a timer. I follow a program from a book. My leg muscles hurt during the sprints, but it's over quickly. I like the fact that the workouts are short and not boring. You have to pay attention doing Hiit. I stay at 20 minutes twice a week. SS workouts on the bike are boring so probably will do dvds then.

Haven't been at it long enough to see results yet. I'll have to see after a month or so.
Old 10-17-22, 03:21 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I pretty much only do Leslie's "boosts" as my HIIT these days. Jessica's are good too when I do her walking workouts.

I probably do those boosted workouts like twice a week. The other days are just regular walking, some strength training, some fusion, some CS/Ess.

I'm down 25 lbs since a year ago, and I'm nearing 50 with a crap ton of hormonal issues from perimenopause. Fat loss for me was hindered by too much high intensity and hard workouts. I just couldn't recover from the HIIT programs of yesteryear anymore. Low and slow combined with calorie deficit has been the only combo for fat loss for me.

I really enjoy Leslie's "boosts" and sometimes I now do mini-boosts on the treadmill with light jogging or climbing hills. I just know now that I can't overdo it or it's too much on my body to inhibit fat loss for me.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-22, 03:48 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I do my Hiit workouts on a stationary bike using a timer. I follow a program from a book. My leg muscles hurt during the sprints, but it's over quickly. I like the fact that the workouts are short and not boring. You have to pay attention doing Hiit. I stay at 20 minutes twice a week. SS workouts on the bike are boring so probably will do dvds then.

Haven't been at it long enough to see results yet. I'll have to see after a month or so.
Do you have a program or timer to recommend? Is it an app?

I have tried doing this on elliptical and rower. I wish I liked the bike more. Maybe I should try the bike again since the workouts are so short. I think a timer would keep me more honest about my rest periods.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-22, 01:10 PM  
ChelePA

I was watching GMA3 and the health question in the doctor’s segment was how to lose fat with exercising. She said research shows it’s not HIIT workouts, but steady state cardio for longer periods of time. And as we know, the kitchen is also very important.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, fat loss, hiit, hiit results, hiit versus steady state, results, steady state cardio, steady state results