Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-06-22, 10:05 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

I did the dumbbell workout for beginners, full body today. I've enjoyed these workouts this week. Lifting as heavy as I can manage, they don't seem so beginner level.

Thanks, tlchello, for mentioning that you messaged Cee. I decided to message her to see what she would suggest for me to do next. I told her that I didn't want a big jump in volume for the legs because I need to protect my joints, and she suggested her full body series. I'll be doing three per week instead of the four per week that she has listed. I hope your headaches are a thing of the past soon.

Melissa, thanks for talking about the 6 week split. When I looked at that workout, I realized it would be too big of a jump in volume for my legs and my joints would be protesting.

I hope everyone's having a great weekend!

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-22, 06:34 PM  
laurajhawk

We had our grandson staying here all week, so my workouts were sporadic, but I did 40-4-40 Seven on Friday, and Eight today. On Friday, everything felt hard, and I had to reduce my weights several times - maybe because I'd been slacking, maybe because some of the moves were unfamiliar, maybe both. Today I felt fresh and the exercises were more typical, and I was able to finish all the reps with my chosen weights and feel I could increase weight for some of the moves next time they come up.

I always do Cheryl's 8-minute warmup ... I like its emphasis on mobility. I also usually do some stretches in between sets during the workout. I generally like her pacing with the long breaks between sets, but I'll admit sometimes I get started on the first set of a new move while she's still demo-ing, and then I'm a little ahead of her. Besides stretching, I use the breaks to write down my weights and reps, hydrate and towel off, and put weights/equipment away if I'm done with them.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-22, 07:25 PM  
tlchello

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
We had our grandson staying here all week, so my workouts were sporadic, but I did 40-4-40 Seven on Friday, and Eight today. On Friday, everything felt hard, and I had to reduce my weights several times - maybe because I'd been slacking, maybe because some of the moves were unfamiliar, maybe both. Today I felt fresh and the exercises were more typical, and I was able to finish all the reps with my chosen weights and feel I could increase weight for some of the moves next time they come up.

I always do Cheryl's 8-minute warmup ... I like its emphasis on mobility. I also usually do some stretches in between sets during the workout. I generally like her pacing with the long breaks between sets, but I'll admit sometimes I get started on the first set of a new move while she's still demo-ing, and then I'm a little ahead of her. Besides stretching, I use the breaks to write down my weights and reps, hydrate and towel off, and put weights/equipment away if I'm done with them.
I also do that warmup before I do a workout. I tend to dance during the breaks...lol. I always play my own music when I lift and I just can't stand still. I probably should actually "rest"..lol. I also keep a notebook and record everything as I go.

Tomorrow I will be doing workout #3 I believe.
tlchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-22, 03:16 PM  
edensmom

Susan, she does 4 sets of some (if not all) of the exercises in the 6 week split. I definitely was not ready to just jump into that, especially with legs and my body let me know, haha. I really like the advanced series and it's a great way to get conditioned for her other series' should you care to do so. Plus I really enjoy the circuit format.

I revisited day 1 of the 6 week split today, Legs + Shoulders. That is a quick and dirty little workout. Happy to say I am stronger than when I attempted it a month ago in that I didnt have to keep stopping and held weights the whole workout this time. Still lots of room for me to go up in weight.

Laura, I think I know what you are talking about with the unfamiliar moves. Occasionally she incorporates an exercise I can't quite grasp and I'm unsure if I'm executing it correctly bc I'm not really feeling it in the target area - these standing chest crossbody flyes come to mind, and some sort of angled row. I prefer the straightforward moves I already know so I can just work on getting stronger at them. However, I used to struggle to "feel" muscle engagement for back/hammies and that has really improved with repetition. So maybe I'll improve at those exercises too.

Tichello, great idea to keep a log. That's so helpful for making/seeing progress.

Have a great day everyone.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-22, 04:41 PM  
tlchello

Hi all,

I did workout #3 this morning. It was okay but there was one of those awkward moves that you ladies have mentioned. I think it was called a waiters curl. For the life of me, I could not get a good grasp of the dumbbell and it just keep slipping.

Tomorrow will be a stretching day. I also think I am joining a friend to re-start the C25K program. There is a local charity 5K run at the first of October that I would like to support and I like the C25K program I have done in the past.

Hope everyone is having a happy Monday so far.
Old 08-09-22, 11:21 AM  
edensmom

I don't care for the waiters curl either and I've given up on them. Haha I sub in another bicep curl.

Week 2 of Plateau Buster Chest + Biceps. I enjoyed this combo a bit more this time.

I'm off to work, have a great day.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-22, 05:39 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Hi, all.

I began the full body series today. The first one has an emphasis on the arms. I had to pause at times because I try to go as heavy as possible and need some recovery time. I was thinking the close grip curl that's in this first workout would be a good sub for the waiter's curl. It's hard for me to hold onto the dumbbell, too. I'm sure it would help if I were able to use a bigger dumbbell like Cee is using.

I needed a good stretch after that and found one by Caroline Jordan that felt wonderful. She holds them long enough to really relax into it.

Laura, I look forward to the time I get to spend more time with my grandson. They live several states away, but they hope to move closer in the near future.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

Old 08-10-22, 01:53 PM  
tlchello

Quick post today to report I did workout #4 from the 40-4-40 series. All went well except I didn't have a good bench or tote to use for one of the moves. I managed to throw together a mound of blankets and pillows, which wasn't great, but it did the trick. I will have to find something else to use because I think she uses her ottoman again in workout #5.
Old 08-10-22, 04:24 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Do you have a stability ball? That's what I use. A foam roller could work or just lying flat on the floor, in a pinch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlchello View Post
Quick post today to report I did workout #4 from the 40-4-40 series. All went well except I didn't have a good bench or tote to use for one of the moves. I managed to throw together a mound of blankets and pillows, which wasn't great, but it did the trick. I will have to find something else to use because I think she uses her ottoman again in workout #5.

Old 08-10-22, 06:32 PM  
laurajhawk

Edensmom, yeah that angled row is one of the ones I was thinking about, that was a bit harder to get the hang of. As you say, I wasn't quite sure I was feeling it correctly or doing it right. The single-leg hip thrust was another - for sure I was feeling that one, but it was stinkin' hard! The waiter's curl was OK for me.

Susan, I hadn't thought of using a stability ball but it would be fine for most of Cheryl's "ottoman" exercises! I usually use my FeetUp trainer.

Today I did 40-4-40 Nine. For this one she only uses two different pairs of dumbbells, 25 and 10. Based on what I've used with some of those moves in the past I used 15 and 10, and ended up dropping to 7s on most of the exercises where I started with 10s. I should've known I wouldn't be able to use Cheryl's weights The biceps and triceps exercises are at the end of the workout and I think we've pre-exhausted our arms as they assist in the RDL, rows, and standing chest press. I do enjoy the variety of moves, even if some of 'em are weird! I have not found myself getting bored with these workouts at all.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote