Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-21, 10:50 AM  
kristiep

I have groused about my experience with Fitbit here and on FB. Bottom line: the quality is crap, not worth the investment. The first one I had went bad in the first 7 months; the replacement went bad 6 months later. Fitbit would not restart the warranty on the replacement device, but they graciously offered my 25% on my next purchase. Why would I do that when the quality is horrible?

I replaced with an Apple Watch. It's been going strong for almost 3 years now so that was a much better investment. I will use it until it goes kaplooey.

If I had an Android phone, I'd probably be going with a Garmin as I've heard those are good quality.
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 11:02 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Well, guess what died today (after a solid 10 years)?? My Aria scale!!! Which was half the reason I wanted mother fitbit product. Is it a sign from the heavens???

Stay tuned.....

P.S. my fitbit average is a little less than a year. Sometimes a year and a half, sometimes 6 months. I LOVED the old clip-on style, but alas, clip-ons so often end up dying a turbulent death in the washing machine at my house.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 02:11 PM  
rhbrand

I swear 99% of the reason I stick with FitBit is due to the walking challenges I join every week. I would miss them horrid if I couldn't join with my friends.
Old 09-21-21, 02:15 PM  
DD546

I also have had negative experiences with Fitbits. My Charge 3 died in less than 6 months. After numerous phone calls with the company and them repeatedly telling me it was my fault, they finally replaced it. The second one died in less than 6 months. It just wouldn't take a charge. The company refused to do anything. So I bought a cheap Willfit on Amazon. It's worked like a champ so far. The app isn't as good as Fitbit, but I won't buy another Fitbit based on my experiences. My sister has a Charge 2 that she's had for over 5 years, but unfortunately my experience is quit different.
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-21, 12:12 PM  
laurajhawk

As a counterexample ... my Fitbit Alta lasted five years. It was still working, but the display got so dim that it wasn't readable in normal light, so I just bought a new Luxe.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-21, 10:16 AM  
Cola

quoting frogribbit: I've had the same Fitbit One for the last probably 12 years (or longer). I wear it on my bra and use it every day. (end quote)

just want to say that ive also had a fitbit ONE for yearssss. i wear it on my bra in a little magnetic skin that i got cheap on amazon. i wear it every day and a charge lasts a couple of days. it sometimes takes a little while to sync with the fitbit app but always works in the end. i luv the little guy!
Cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-21, 10:32 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola View Post
quoting frogribbit: I've had the same Fitbit One for the last probably 12 years (or longer). I wear it on my bra and use it every day. (end quote)

just want to say that ive also had a fitbit ONE for yearssss. i wear it on my bra in a little magnetic skin that i got cheap on amazon. i wear it every day and a charge lasts a couple of days. it sometimes takes a little while to sync with the fitbit app but always works in the end. i luv the little guy!
I have a couple of Ones here on my desk. They stopped charging! I'll plug them in and they just won't recognize the connection anymore. You're lucky!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-21, 10:55 AM  
Vantreesta

My family and I have had mixed experiences with Fitbit. My brother and nephews had a lot of problems and my brother switched to a Samsung watch. My parents never really had any problems with their Fitbits that I know of.

My first one was a Flex that we got in 2014 through hubby's work for about 75% off, so I had no receipt or any type of proof of purchase. It stopped charging at around 13-14 months old. Fitbit replaced it for me anyway. Yay! I don't remember how long the new Flex worked for but eventually it died (after well over a year). I decided on a whim to try charging my original one. It charged and still works today! Although it doesn't always want to charge or sync, but it's just a backup for me at this point. Next I bought a Charge 2 and it was great for, I'm not sure, probably 3-4 years before the display went blank. It still works, charges and syncs so it is now my first backup. I bought a Charge 4 last September and have been very happy with it.

I use a Polar FT60 (no "smart" capabilities) to record all my indoor workouts. I use a Garmin Vivoactive to record all my outdoor workouts (has built in GPS). I tried wearing my Garmin for everyday fitness tracking like the Fitbit but the watch is a big black square that looks blech on my tiny pale wrist.

I started wearing pedometers way back in probably 2001 or so. Wasted money on the cheap ones you could buy in stores bc they either didn't count right, the clips broke, or both. I finally splurged on the New Lifestyles accelerometer in 2003 or 2004, I think. I ended up having to replace the first one (which survived me being drug across the street on my belly so on the pedometer that was clipped to my pocket) after a few years. I have had my current one since Sept 2009 and still think it's the best thing since sliced bread! I have worn my pedometers every day all day except for sleeping and showering and when we take our canoe trips since they're not waterproof. Yeah, I know it seems redundant to wear a pedometer and a Fitbit (and a watch) but the pedometer is super accurate and what I consider my official count for the day (that gets written religiously in my log every day). All my Fitbits have been wrist-worn and while they do record activity so I can't say all the extras are "cheater steps," the pedometer just counts actual step-based activity, so I like having both. I honestly am tempted to but another NL pedometer even though this one is still working bc I'm afraid all the all the smart fitness tracker companies will put NL out of business before I can get a new one.

Wow. I'm sorry. You didn't ask for a book!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-21, 10:03 AM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
I have a couple of Ones here on my desk. They stopped charging! I'll plug them in and they just won't recognize the connection anymore. You're lucky!
Dang that sucks!
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
activity tracker, apple watch, fitbit