Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-19, 06:03 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Great! Thank you! I searched under "Starting Out" and didn't find them. I'm going back to search again now. I'm super excited to try these, and at 9.99/month, you can't beat the price!
Try “the Foundation Series” area on Sandra’s Site. That’s where they were the last time I saw them after they were removed from the streaming site.

You’ll have to become a member but it’s free and she doesn’t inundate you with emails or anything.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 06:08 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
Try “the Foundation Series” area on Sandra’s Site. That’s where they were the last time I saw them after they were removed from the streaming site.

You’ll have to become a member but it’s free and she doesn’t inundate you with emails or anything.
Thanks! I found Sandra's site earlier by googling "Foundation Series". I saw the free membership but didn't sign up because the website looked like it was still under construction. Maybe I need to register to be able to see any of her offerings. I'll sign up now and see what happens. Thanks Lannette!

ETA: Yes, I had to register to see the contents. Thanks!
Old 03-06-19, 06:26 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
<snip>

In the newest DVDs there are some Callanetics exercises but she threw other exercises in that have nothing to do with Callanetics. I personally felt that some of those exercises could hurt a beginner or someone new to the method.

<snip>
I am not familiar with Sandra's new workouts but am familiar with the Callanetics Evolution iteration. At that point the workout started having some exercises with larger range of motion. I can't remember if it is actually on the DVD, but Judy Mooser (a master instructor) used to teach it in her live class. In addition, Callan started teaching different pulses. These were developed by Callan and taught in live classes for years before the Evolution DVD came out. They are on the Callanetics Evolution DVD, but it is now OOP due to legal action by the family.

As a side note, Judy used to teach in neutral spine, saying Callan had changed her method to do this a looong time ago (in the 90s I think) because she started noticing her long term students were losing the curvature of their spine.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 07:00 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
I am not familiar with Sandra's new workouts but am familiar with the Callanetics Evolution iteration. At that point the workout started having some exercises with larger range of motion. I can't remember if it is actually on the DVD, but Judy Mooser (a master instructor) used to teach it in her live class. In addition, Callan started teaching different pulses. These were developed by Callan and taught in live classes for years before the Evolution DVD came out. They are on the Callanetics Evolution DVD, but it is now OOP due to legal action by the family.

As a side note, Judy used to teach in neutral spine, saying Callan had changed her method to do this a looong time ago (in the 90s I think) because she started noticing her long term students were losing the curvature of their spine.
Yes, I have that DVD. I can tell you that Sandra now teachs really small pulses using the concept of “Counter Extensions” to make them extremely small. (IMHO this also increases muscle activation.)

She does teach (in her streaming WOs on the Callanetics site) the various different pulses but again uses counter extension to keep them miniscule. It was this concept with counter extensions that ramped up my results.

There was either a WO or maybe it was in response to a question on her forums where Sandra mentioned introducing neutral spine in the abdominal exercises but she warned that you needed to be extremely strong to pull it off.

Can’t recommend it and a look see at Sandra’s streaming WOs more highly. I would buy anything she or her DIL Adelaide put out.

Benita Cantieni who has Callanetics history also has some really interesting concepts. I totally reformed and balanced my pelvic floor with her stuff.

I previously tried to find Lacey’s Callanetics Certification lineage and couldn’t. The only thing I could find was that she started teaching Callanetics, not that she’s certified. No one could tell me who certified her.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 03-06-19, 08:14 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Yes, I have that DVD. I can tell you that Sandra now teachs really small pulses using the concept of “Counter Extensions” to make them extremely small. (IMHO this also increases muscle activation.)

She does teach (in her streaming WOs on the Callanetics site) the various different pulses but again uses counter extension to keep them miniscule. It was this concept with counter extensions that ramped up my results.

There was either a WO or maybe it was in response to a question on her forums where Sandra mentioned introducing neutral spine in the abdominal exercises but she warned that you needed to be extremely strong to pull it off.

Can’t recommend it and a look see at Sandra’s streaming WOs more highly. I would buy anything she or her DIL Adelaide put out.

Benita Cantieni who has Callanetics history also has some really interesting concepts. I totally reformed and balanced my pelvic floor with her stuff.

I previously tried to find Lacey’s Callanetics Certification lineage and couldn’t. The only thing I could find was that she started teaching Callanetics, not that she’s certified. No one could tell me who certified her.
I think the counter extensions has been around a while as part of the pulsing. But i meant to say there is no need to be purist about it, as larger range movements aren't against Callanetics either, just because it isn't in the 10/10 DVD. Neutral spin does require a strong abdominals, but you can modify - with the squishy ball in various positions as an aid, or just head down if needed (do they do any of this in the Sandra Hanna Callanetics)? It think the thinking is these modifications with neutral spine are better for the spine in the long run, which I think is also the current thinking with physical therapist as a general rule. I know Stott Pilates does flat back for exercises, and I liked flat back when my back injury was acute (over a decade qgo now) for abdominal work in general as it keeps my spine stable. But I did feel a little like was cheating.

Yeah, I like the Cantienica spiraldynamik thing, but the end I had to put Callanetics and all barre exercise away for pelvic issues. I didn't have insurance and medicaid doesn't cover cr@p for physical therapy, and I was having a serious problem. But I learned about Eric Franklin here on VF and his book and DVD have been immensely helpful in this area.

Don't know anything about the certs, but likely Sandra certified Lacey (Sandra was also a master instructor for a while, and of course now she is guiding the direction with it.)
Old 03-06-19, 08:22 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
I think the counter extensions has been around a while as part of the pulsing. But i meant to say there is no need to be purist about it, as larger range movements aren't against Callanetics either, just because it isn't in the 10/10 DVD. Neutral spin does require a strong abdominals, but you can modify - with the squishy ball in various positions as an aid, or just head down if needed (do they do any of this in the Sandra Hanna Callanetics)? It think the thinking is these modifications with neutral spine are better for the spine in the long run, which I think is also the current thinking with physical therapist as a general rule. I know Stott Pilates does flat back for exercises, and I liked flat back when my back injury was acute (over a decade qgo now) for abdominal work in general as it keeps my spine stable. But I did feel a little like was cheating.

Yeah, I like the Cantienica spiraldynamik thing, but the end I had to put Callanetics and all barre exercise away for pelvic issues. I didn't have insurance and medicaid doesn't cover cr@p for physical therapy, and I was having a serious problem. But I learned about Eric Franklin here on VF and his book and DVD have been immensely helpful in this area.

Don't know anything about the certs, but likely Sandra certified Lacey (Sandra was also a master instructor for a while, and of course now she is guiding the direction with it.)
No Sandra didn’t certify Lacey, if she did she didn’t admit it when I asked and I’m not so sure she’s guiding things anymore. Almost positive actually.

No you don’t need to do tiny pulses but that’s what both Sandra and Adelaide teach and it’s what Lacey says to do but then doesn’t. I just never got better results than when I followed Sandra’s instruction regarding counter extensions and tiny pulses.

Old 03-06-19, 08:31 PM  
Lannette

Also want to clarify that I’m not talking about Benita’s spirals, though Sandra uses them on at least one of the streaming WOs. I’m talking about the Seated abdominal and pelvic floor work from Tiger feeling. I used to think of it as my pretend workout but it was quite powerful in what it did as far as activating my abs and pelvic floor.

Old 03-06-19, 08:48 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
No Sandra didn’t certify Lacey, if she did she didn’t admit it when I asked and I’m not so sure she’s guiding things anymore. Almost positive actually.

No you don’t need to do tiny pulses but that’s what both Sandra and Adelaide teach and it’s what Lacey says to do but then doesn’t. I just never got better results than when I followed Sandra’s instruction regarding counter extensions and tiny pulses.
Oh, I see what you mean about the instruction. Weird about Lacey's cert. Also, weird Sandra isn't directing Callanetics. So, who is then?

Quote:
Also want to clarify that I’m not talking about Benita’s spirals, though Sandra uses them on at least one of the streaming WOs. I’m talking about the Seated abdominal and pelvic floor work from Tiger feeling. I used to think of it as my pretend workout but it was quite powerful in what it did as far as activating my abs and pelvic floor.
Yeah, I had to stop all of that. I don't have tiger feeling DVD, but I got a pdf of hers a loong time ago. But I developed a high tone pelvic floor and had to work to bring the tone down, and correct some muscle imbalances that were exacerbating it.
Old 03-08-19, 01:50 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

anyone know what Sandra's website will cost? I couldn't find it on her website.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
callanetics, callanetics countdown, lacey kondi