Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-28-14, 12:30 AM  
RubyBlue

Yes, protein is a huge problem for me, and similarly, myfitnesspal demonstrated just how little I was eating!

I quite like quinoa but yes, hard to find recipes where it is really tasty rather than just edible.

I rely a lot on protein powder, which I don't particularly like. Cheese I love, but I can easily go waaaaaay overboard.

Thanks, good suggestions.
RubyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-14, 09:23 AM  
laurajhawk

I recently ran across a hemp protein powder; you might like it better than the soy (I think it's a new product). Also hemp "crunches" for salad, which are delicious, though I didn't check their protein content. I agree you really need a ton of protein when lifting heavy.

Someone may have said this already, but for injury prevention, form is WAY more important when lifting heavy. Make sure you're using good instructors and actually do the thing where you watch yourself in the mirror. If the form is iffy, reduce the weight till it's not. I also tend to come away from heavy weight rotations with injuries, and I can often find the fault in my form (after the fact, which is ... suboptimal).

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-14, 10:45 AM  
RubyBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I recently ran across a hemp protein powder; you might like it better than the soy (I think it's a new product). Also hemp "crunches" for salad, which are delicious, though I didn't check their protein content. I agree you really need a ton of protein when lifting heavy.

Someone may have said this already, but for injury prevention, form is WAY more important when lifting heavy. Make sure you're using good instructors and actually do the thing where you watch yourself in the mirror. If the form is iffy, reduce the weight till it's not. I also tend to come away from heavy weight rotations with injuries, and I can often find the fault in my form (after the fact, which is ... suboptimal).
Thanks: I had hemp at one stage but not a huge fan. Happy to give it another go. (Sun Warrior?)

My form is fairly dreadful partly as a result of pre-existing structural skeletal problems so it's certainly something I need to look out for. When I'm better (have a virus) I am going to start very light and work up to things. Have learned my lesson this time! I'm actually seeing it as a challenge- how to work out, lift heavy and improve form whilst not wearing myself out.
Old 09-28-14, 11:28 AM  
jilybeann

I've been having a similar problem recently. Although I've not gotten sick, I've definitely felt very tired, cranky, and worn out. I was trying to do a 4 day lifting program and finally realized I can't right now--my body won't allow it. So I bought Nia Shank's 3x3 program, which I saw you also have. I've only been doing it a week, but I felt much better this weekend and have more energy.

My schedule is lifting MWF, light cardio and stretching on T-TH, and some walks on the weekend. The lifting days are short enough so I can really focus on a good warmup and cool down.

Maybe something like this would be good for you too? I'm also focusing on trying to go to bed earlier than usual. Let me know if you start the 3x3 program. It would be fun to do it with someone.
jilybeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-14, 11:54 AM  
RubyBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilybeann View Post
I've been having a similar problem recently. Although I've not gotten sick, I've definitely felt very tired, cranky, and worn out. I was trying to do a 4 day lifting program and finally realized I can't right now--my body won't allow it. So I bought Nia Shank's 3x3 program, which I saw you also have. I've only been doing it a week, but I felt much better this weekend and have more energy.

My schedule is lifting MWF, light cardio and stretching on T-TH, and some walks on the weekend. The lifting days are short enough so I can really focus on a good warmup and cool down.

Maybe something like this would be good for you too? I'm also focusing on trying to go to bed earlier than usual. Let me know if you start the 3x3 program. It would be fun to do it with someone.
Hi, yes, I was thinking of something very similar: MWF lifting, cardio/stretch the other days (walking for cardio). Doing 3x3 would be great! It looks ideal! I'm thinking of starting on October 6th presuming I've got over this virus so if you'd like to do it together, that would be great and would do wonders for my accountability. Could start a thread in Check-ins, either specifically for 3x3 or maybe for anyone lifting heavy 3x week with any program?

Tags
heavy lifting, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal, nia shanks