Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-03-14, 08:25 PM  
PrairieGem

Silly MyFitnessPal question: need help with app

How do I look up a food on MFP's mobile site/app?

I use the website all the time for their food database, since I'm tracking calories right now. But the mobile website is different, and there's no tab for food in the banner (well, there's no banner!). So I registered and downloaded the app... but all I'm seeing is the screen to log all my data. I'm happy with my old-school paper journal; I just want to find their food database so I can decide where to have lunch tomorrow!

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!!
Old 05-03-14, 08:35 PM  
Kathleen Ann

After logging in select add to diary. Then pick breakfast lunch dinner or snack and then search for food in the banner at top of page.
Old 05-03-14, 09:31 PM  
suegy3

The app is great because you can use the bar code to scan the food instead of looking it up.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-14, 10:58 PM  
CatInTheHat

Someone here once posted about some other fitness boards they read and one is this reddit forum. There's a very huge anti-My Fitness Pal wave on there, I'm not sure of the value of their argument or not, but they have a whole bunch of info about it, and I just wanted to post the link in case you wanted to read. I've used MFP before and had no issues but some info here might be of help to you.

http://www.reddit.com/r/xxfitness/wi...calorie_intake
CatInTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-14, 11:50 PM  
PrairieGem

Thanks, Kathleen Ann! That seems a bit of a fussy rigamarole for something that's one click on the website, but I will give it a try! Unless somebody has a better mobile food database to recommend! (Am new to smart phones and am equally infuriated by the insanely user-unfriendly mobile IMDB. Grrrr.)

Quote:
Someone here once posted about some other fitness boards they read and one is this reddit forum. There's a very huge anti-My Fitness Pal wave on there, I'm not sure of the value of their argument or not, but they have a whole bunch of info about it, and I just wanted to post the link in case you wanted to read. I've used MFP before and had no issues but some info here might be of help to you.
Cat, thanks! That was one of the reasons I *didn't* want to set up a profile. Right now, I'm working with the 10x your (ideal) weight formula, and MFP gives me about 200 fewer calories/day than that! I'm already concerned I may be a teensy bit low if I'm going to be doing long/intense workouts, but I'll tweak that as I go.

Really, all I wanted was to look up the nutrition data for restaurant foods. They just gotta make it more complicated, don't they?!
Old 05-04-14, 07:39 AM  
raeven

Lose It is another food tracking app. My hubby and I have used both it and mfp and prefer lose it. Both are pretty much the same concept. I believe you can set your own calorie goals in either app, so you don't have to stick with what the app tells you. I'd say play around in them and see what you like!
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
my fitness pal, myfitnesspal