Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-12, 10:49 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Misfit Shine waterproof activity tracker

http://www.indiegogo.com/misfitshine

Preorder price is $79. I'm especially interested because it's waterproof and can be worn while swimming, unlike the Fitbit.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 11:12 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

This is now on sale through Apple, for $120. Any reviews?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/HC...nitor?fnode=4a

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 08-11-13, 07:24 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I almost didn't click on the link. Because I thought to myself: "The last thing I need is another FitBit-type device to lose."

Ohhh! it's so beautiful! Its simple elegance reminds me of a Movado watch. I'd consider this just for the "jewelry" aspect.

Also, I loved how they crowdsourced 8x what they needed; a lot of folks must be sold on the idea.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 08:33 PM  
PLS

I got these for DH and myself. The design has changed a bit from what it was supposed to be. It uses batteries that have to be replaced 2-4x per year. You have to use it with an Ipod device, which we had to buy because the Ipod touch I had was not current enough. You have to sink it with your device to change activities which I am hoping will change in the future because sinking with a device everytime your activity changes is just plain stupid. I bought it for the feature of the swimming and biking and that it is waterproof. But at that time it was to run with android as well and you charged it by placing it on your device. A lot has changed so I will reserve the right to change my opinion as time goes. I do think the device is very pretty and I would LOVE to have the necklace feature. Currently, my device is sinked up and DH cannot get his to sink at all. Very frustrating.
PLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-13, 05:29 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Thanks, PLS!

Old 08-13-13, 04:15 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Thanks, PLS!
+1! very helpful
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-13, 06:20 AM  
PLS

No problem Ladies,

Well, DH had trouble getting his to sync with the same Ipod touch, so I sent email x 2 to technical help. As of yet no response other than an automated we received your email. So Last night he again tried to sync with no luck, out of curiosity I said turn it upside down. He did and then it let him sync. No that is not the way it is supposed sync, and now it will sync right side up. One annoyance is EVERY time you log in (or at least for us) you end up having to put in your birthday. It doesn't seem to retain that info and this is after the email/pw login.

I sent an email asking about cycling, do we wear it on the leg? No response yet. I do find it annoying to sync to change activities. But as of yet I am not even sure if it is recording the cycling accurately since i am wearing it on my wrist.

Still, I do like the watch feature and it is prettier than other fitness trackers.
Will post more thoughts and answers to questions I sent as I receive them.
Penny
PLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-13, 11:59 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Thanks for the updates, Penny.
I guess with most of these gadgets, it takes awhile to work the bugs out. My Fitbit is on its last legs (won't stay charged) so I'm interested in replacing it with this one since I can wear it while swimming and heavily-sweating. I also have the newest ipod touch.

Anita, I like the look of it, too!

Old 08-15-13, 01:09 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLS View Post
I sent an email asking about cycling, do we wear it on the leg? No response yet. I do find it annoying to sync to change activities. But as of yet I am not even sure if it is recording the cycling accurately since i am wearing it on my wrist.

Still, I do like the watch feature and it is prettier than other fitness trackers.
Will post more thoughts and answers to questions I sent as I receive them.
Penny
I don't have a shine but am curious about it. But this question is sort of answered in their FAQ under 'Where can I wear the shine". It says that you might need different placements for different activities. For cycling I would guess the foot--some people do that with fitbits and from what I heard they get a step per stroke but the calorie burn is sometimes overstated since fitbit isn't programmed for cycling. If shine is programmed for cycling it might work better. (I think they say it is programmed for walking, running, swimming, sleeping and cycling?).
http://www.misfitwearables.com/faqs
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-13, 01:43 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysam View Post
I don't have a shine but am curious about it. But this question is sort of answered in their FAQ under 'Where can I wear the shine". It says that you might need different placements for different activities. For cycling I would guess the foot--some people do that with fitbits and from what I heard they get a step per stroke but the calorie burn is sometimes overstated since fitbit isn't programmed for cycling. If shine is programmed for cycling it might work better. (I think they say it is programmed for walking, running, swimming, sleeping and cycling?).
http://www.misfitwearables.com/faqs
Sue, thank you for the heads up on this gadget. It looks really neat.

Yes, it is set up for cycling:
With our necklace, wristbands and clasp accessories you can wear Shine anywhere - hip, wrist, neck, chest, waist, shoe, bra, etc. However, you will find that certain locations may give better results for certain activities. For example - if you wear Shine on your wrist while biking, it will not record much activity since your wrist doesn’t move very much.

Does Shine track other activities?

Right now we are focused on tracking walking, running, sleeping, swimming and cycling. But if you do another kind of activity, Shine will do its best to give you credit for it towards your goal. This means that Shine will track your running on a treadmill at the gym, but if you lift weights Shine may not give you all the credit you deserve. We'll be expanding the set of activities Shine tracks on an on-going basis.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gadgets, misfit shine