Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-22, 02:59 PM  
OSusanna

Does anyone swim or do water aerobics regularly?

Hi everyone. Because of a minor spinal injury (very minor and due to degeneration) I have joined the Y and started water aerobics. Eventually I’d like to get my cardio fitness back up to what it was and then try lap swimming. Right now I feel very “worked” after class 2 x a week.

All my land exercise activities left me achy. So far this doesn’t.

I’m 47 and no consistent cardio since late 2020. I’ve never restarted from so sedentary of a lifestyle before. Does anyone remember how long it takes to see measureable cardio improvement?

Also for any swimmers, have any done masters swimming? I was thinking of making that a long long range goal.

Thank you!
Oh and for land exercise I am doing t-tapp still for strength.
OSusanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-22, 04:11 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

It's probably hard to predict exactly how long it'll take to get your cardio fitness back -- so many variables -- but I would think a few weeks? I was a swimmer in high school and then did masters swimming probably thirty-ish years ago. One thing I will tell you..... maybe fifteen or twenty years ago I was in pretty good shape for home workouts -- doing the original Firms, maybe some Cathe's at that point. I took my kids swimming and I got so out of breath so quickly even though I was in great shape. Swimming laps is definitely a different kind of fitness. Back when I was in high school I was swimming laps -- swim team practice --3-4 hours each day, five days a week. One weekend day off I decided to go for a run. I couldn't run very far at all -- got completely winded! It wasn't because I wasn't in shape because I was in great shape. Just a different sort of shape, I guess. I'm telling you all of this just in case it helps to keep in mind on your journey back to lap swimming. Have fun!
Old 05-25-22, 04:59 PM  
OSusanna

Thank you! I’ve heard about the differences before between water and land exercise before. I’m really curious now why it would be different. You’re right though, a swimmer isn’t always fit to run and vice versa. How interesting!
Old 05-26-22, 12:22 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSusanna View Post
Thank you! I’ve heard about the differences before between water and land exercise before. I’m really curious now why it would be different. You’re right though, a swimmer isn’t always fit to run and vice versa. How interesting!
It seems counterintuitive, doesn't it? I sometimes think maybe it's just me. You'll have to report back!
Old 05-26-22, 05:26 PM  
wendug

I wish there was someplace I could swim regularly. No Y near me and most of the fitness centers don't have pools. The park district offers the use of the local high school pool on Saturdays only in the AM.

I was a competitive swimmer for years. I started out swimming very young. So young that I don't even remember learning how to swim. I was always on several swim teams that allowed me to compete year round. In high school, our coach had us come in early before school and we would run, lift weights, and do some aerobics to cross train with swimming. It is indeed quite different- the land vs. water exercises. I definitely noticed joint pain (especially while running), but I am not a runner. Swimming is definitely a joint friendly exercise!

I agree with bee, it's going to take a bit of time to get your swimming fitness back. Like with anything, take it slow and it will come. Although I think I'm in pretty good shape, I wouldn't jump into an advanced yoga class because I just don't do yoga often.

Enjoy swimming!
Old 05-26-22, 09:56 PM  
OSusanna

I can say so far ( 4 water aerobics sessions over 2 weeks) that I am working really hard. The water dumbbells really really work! I hope I can get some muscle mass out of this.

I’ll report back after 6 weeks.

Tags
aquatics, restarting, swimming, water aerobics