Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-15, 10:08 PM  
Psyche
VF Supporter

I've worked as a social worker for 27 years, with the last 12 years in the medical field (hospice, hospital and now pediatric specialty clinic.)

My very first job as a 14 year old was roguing and detassling in the cornfields of Iowa (where my sister was going to college.) My next job at the end of that summer was working part-time with my mom in a bank (bookkeeping department!) Loved that job!
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 12:04 AM  
nschultz

I'm an exercise physiologist. I've worked in hospital settings doing cardiac rehab and also worked for a cardiology practice, running stress tests and working in the device clinic (checking pacemakers and defibrillators).
nschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 05:14 AM  
sherry7899

Tinks- would you mind pm'ing me with the name of the company you work for? Thank you!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 06:59 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I worked in libraries for 36 years. First I was a clerical assistant and moved up the ranks to paraprofessional support staff. After getting my MLIS from the University of Texas at Austin in 1985, I worked as a catalog librarian in academic, public, and law libraries. My subject areas were social science, history, political science, and law. This background helped me get hired at the U.S. Senate Library. At first I was a catalog librarian and helped get the library's first integrated library system up and running. Eventually I was promoted to cataloging supervisor. In terms of cataloging, I primarily worked on Senate materials (Senate hearings, Senate committee prints, Senate treaty documents, Senate executive reports). I was responsible for training and oversight of the other catalogers, and keeping up with changes in national cataloging policies. Cataloging rules changed dramatically a few years ago, and I spent a lot of time rewriting documentation and conducting in-house training for the cataloging staff. I stayed at the Senate Library for 22 years until my retirement at the end of 2014.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 07:20 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Car hop at A&W
Concessions at drive-in theater
Drug store
Secretary at Fortune 100 company - 1974
Media coordinator
Side jobs at McDonalds and teaching step aerobics
Marketing communications coordinator
Marketing communications manager
Retired September 2011 after 37 years at the same company
Part-time marketing coordinator at small company
Retired March 2015
Cat adoption support at local animal humane society beginning August 2014 - best job I've ever had!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 07:57 AM  
Demeris

Swenson's Ice Cream counter help
night shift at Circle K
movie theater ticket sales, then manager
substitute teacher
30 years high school English & history teacher--retired in 2013
adjunct professor (too many different colleges & universities to list, teaching undergraduate and graduate level classes)
curriculum & instruction consultant
now I take care of cows, donkeys, and chickens--this is not income producing but it is food producing
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 08:04 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Katie View Post
I'm a Pilates teacher at the moment, although I can't make a living out of it so I'm researching other options. In my past life I did office work: executive assistant, administration, reception, call centre etc. Ironically given previous posts, I've been looking at medical transcription/secretarial work! I'm certainly discovering that the job market is a lot tighter than ever before.
A lot of doctors either send the digital transcripts overseas, or like my doctor, he talks to his Notebook and it types what he's saying. It's so annoying - I'm sitting there trying to discuss things with him and he's correcting the errors that the software spits out, and I feel like the machine is the one having the doctor visit.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 08:09 AM  
Gams

Well, my favorite job was teaching dance, but after my husband died, I had to go back to the "real" world and get a job that offered health insurance.

I currently work at a university, but I am about to lose my job in about a month. They said layoffs are coming, although we don't know who will be given a pink slip. I was offered a buyout and I think I'm going to take it rather than wait and see if I get let go. I will have to find another job, though, and not looking forward to job hunting at my age...
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 08:09 AM  
andtckrtoo

I've been in sales all of my life. I am technically an Account Manager now - meaning I work with the customer after the sale to help them get implemented and up and running and work on their renewals, cross sells and upsells. I also get to run the relationship, which is the fun part. I have a brand new job (at 50 - so turning 50 is not the end of the world) with a great company. I'm enjoying myself.

I also volunteer for the Save A Kitten San Jose Facebook page. We work with the local shelter to make sure kittens under a pound who come in have foster homes and rescues. It's been a horrible season this year. So many kittens!! So, as a public service announcement, I'd like to say - spay and neuter your pets, please.
Old 06-03-15, 08:11 AM  
GeekyGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaya View Post
I have a degree in music history/theory/composition so naturally I work in commercial insurance!
I have a seminary degree and work as a personal lines insurance agent! I started working at the agency I still work for part time while I was attending seminary, and I've never left! It's been a good career for me but I would like to have a second career. I just can't decide on what! (Maybe something that would utilize my seminary degree!)
GeekyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career, off topic, retirement, your profession