Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-15, 12:43 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Puberty was a thousand times worse than menopause for me. Yikes, my face broke out terribly, I had severe menstrual cramps for decades. Numerous surgeries for Endometriosis.

For me, menopause was like getting out of prison! I posted an older thread about this a while ago:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...92#post2434392

Old thread alert!
Same here. I have wrinkles, and saggy skin from losing my weight, and a little pooch, but being post-menopausal is like having a ball and chain removed from my ankle. I read a post on VF within the last few months to the effect that "The boat to bikini island has sailed." I laughed out loud and for some reason that silly little post made me realize that yes, I've crossed a bridge, and it's time to make peace and enjoy it on the other side of the river. I'm never going to look great in a bikini but I can still wear a one-piece to the beach and play in the waves and have fun with family. That's what it's all about.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-15, 01:21 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Lora---this just makes me sad for you. There is so much more to ourselves than our bodies. It is just our shells. All of us are going to age and change in appearance; go through ups and downs with weight, wrinkles, hair loss---never mind what life throws at us (accidents, illness). Really, what matters is what is inside and that lifelong relationship you have.
This makes me sad too. Lora, is your DH aware how hurtful he's being?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
... I read a post on VF within the last few months to the effect that "The boat to bikini island has sailed." I laughed out loud and for some reason that silly little post made me realize that yes, I've crossed a bridge, and it's time to make peace and enjoy it on the other side of the river. I'm never going to look great in a bikini but I can still wear a one-piece to the beach and play in the waves and have fun with family. That's what it's all about.
Haha, that was me, Pat. I turn 62 next month, and this year I realized that it's high time I made peace with my imperfect self. That doesn't mean I've abandoned my WL goals, but I stopped beating myself up about it. It's still a struggle, but once I shifted my focus to feeling good, being healthy, and moving more--surprise, surprise--I'm slowly beginning to lose weight.

To the OP: I know it sounds a bit corny, but maybe shifting your focus from "I have to get this weight off!" to "I have a right to live a happy, healthy life" might help a bit.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-15, 01:28 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post

I had a nice menopot which shrunk as I lost weight but never disappeared. I'm thrilled with the way my abs have been tightening up in the last couple of months even though I lost almost no weight during that time. I attribute it to avoiding over training and adding bare foot walking to my exercise plan. Once my stride and the use of my feet normalised in minimalist sandals I started feeling more muscle activation and all things lower body started really tightening up.
Lannette, good point about overtraining. What a great idea for walking! If you don't mind me asking, which shoes did you purchase? I've been looking at ZEMgear; they seem to be cheaper.
~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-15, 01:53 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Yikes, my face broke out terribly, I had severe menstrual cramps
This was peri-menopause for me, but add to that severe depression for 24 hours just before my period. I was exercising and eating healthfully, but my body's hormones were playing Ping-Pong.

That final year of waiting to celebrating being through menopause I felt like a chick waiting for a chicken hawk to swoop down.

My puberty was nothing like those 6 years of my body giving up the ghost on fertility.

I'm glad to be done with. I feel that being through menopause completely, now, is like being freed from a prison, the prison of peri-menopause.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-15, 02:16 PM  
Footballnut

Lora,

I am not sure if you have tried it yet, but I have heard some wonderful things about bone broth. My joints have been screaming at me since I reached menopause and my stomach is a mess too, so I am going to give this a shot and see what happens. I eat pretty healthy, but then I have an awful lot of food allergies/sensitivities, and suspect some of those are undiscovered. I don't know if it will help, but I am thinking of trying it to see if it helps. Tired of hurting.
Old 06-06-15, 03:25 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballnut View Post
I am not sure if you have tried it yet, but I have heard some wonderful things about bone broth. My joints have been screaming at me since I reached menopause and my stomach is a mess too, so I am going to give this a shot and see what happens. I eat pretty healthy, but then I have an awful lot of food allergies/sensitivities, and suspect some of those are undiscovered. I don't know if it will help, but I am thinking of trying it to see if it helps. Tired of hurting.
What exactly is bone broth? It sounds kind of ick.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-15, 03:48 PM  
mandie123

I've bought bone broth at juice store here,as I've read so much about it.Pricey for a small amount,supposed to be easy to make at home(you can goggle it).I just don't like picking up the bones lol
Old 06-06-15, 03:58 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Bone broth is so easy to make!! And it's not icky--it's just broth... made from bones. I collect the bones from whatever meat we've eaten, put it in the crockpot with some garlic cloves and a splash of cider vinegar and let it simmer for a day or two. Try to include the cartilage, too. Makes the broth thicker... very good for the joints!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-15, 06:06 PM  
rosepetals

I quit worrying about it. It's not worth stressing about the changes that are happening. The skin is changing, so what. Not to sound terrible, but I finally learned to be content with my body where it is and at what stage of the journey I am in. I am not going to reach for the next miracle cream, fad diet, or workout. My body is beautiful right now. A little belly fat is a bit more to hug. What matters is the beauty inside.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-15, 06:22 PM  
TinierTina

I met the Hollywood Hype Head-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosepetals View Post
I quit worrying about it. It's not worth stressing about the changes that are happening. The skin is changing, so what. Not to sound terrible, but I finally learned to be content with my body where it is and at what stage of the journey I am in. I am not going to reach for the next miracle cream, fad diet, or workout. My body is beautiful right now. A little belly fat is a bit more to hug. What matters is the beauty inside.
I'd seen The First Wives Club in first-run on a towering IMAX screen at the then-Virgin Megastore in my native city's Times Square. Empowering bit of consciousness-raising and counterphobia for me, then 42 years old/divorced, etc. ...

Cinematherapy, FTW!!

Over and out.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abdominals, aging, belly fat, diet, menopause, menopot, muffin top, over 50, pooch, post-menopause