Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-07, 09:18 AM  
tmonroe

Why are Margaret Richard DVDs so expensive?

I just called to place and order and I could get past the $59.99 but the total order was over 74 bucks so I told them I would pass. Is there anyway to order her DVD's from someplace else without spending all of that money?
Old 04-12-07, 09:22 AM  
MARIKA

I know what you mean!

I would love a Margaret dvd for something new but the $$$ is to much. I don't know why she doesn't lower her price then she would sell more.
Old 04-12-07, 09:28 AM  
annetteb

My question is: the more expensive the workout are the results better? I am not trying to be funny, but it seems that workouts should be reasonable priced. I believe more people will be more inclined to workout if they were not so expensive. This is soo an expensive hobby.
Old 04-12-07, 09:32 AM  
ssgilby

I just tried my first Margaret (All My Best Vol. 1), which I got in trade, and truthfully, I can't see what the fuss is about. She gives a good solid workout, but it's nothing new, nothing fancy. They can be as easy or as hard as you want them to be depending on the weight you use. I know on some of her newer vids they say there are a lot of workout minutes and that you get what you pay for, but I'd rather spend my money on a Cathe video. Cathe gives a lot of bang for the buck (as far as length, pre-mixes, great chaperting, etc.), and she asks less bucks for her vids than Margie does.

That's my opinion, though, I know Margaret has her devotees who will probably have a different opinion, and there are many people who maybe prefer Margaret's more gentle style to Cathe's more no-nonesense, "bring it" style. I would suggest you try one of Margaret's vids out in trade (I happen to have one on my trade list, BTW and LOL!) first before you decide whether or not you want to spend the money. I'm glad I did!
Old 04-12-07, 09:56 AM  
tmonroe

I think she would sell more too if she lowered the price. I would pay $29.99 for the DVD. I had great results with her upper body programs when she was on television but not so great to spend nearly 80 bucks for it.

I really like the idea of doing upper body one day and lower the next. Can anyone recommend an upper body only dvd? I hate fast forwarded through the lower body stuff for get ripped. I am trying to lean out these arms.
Old 04-12-07, 10:01 AM  
mtnmom

Agreeing with Shelley. There was some sort of deal on her website a few years ago for a discount when you purchased 4 VHS. I ended up selling off every one of them. It wasn't so much the high-rep style that caused me to not like them. But more Margaret's personality as a fitness trainer. I'm sure she's a lovely person. But I need a little more "pep" to get me going. I don't need a cheerleader first thing in the morning, but Margaret far too low-key for me.

The set and music was rather bland too. Try before you buy. Maybe you can work out a temporary exchange with someone. Margaret isn't for everyone.
Old 04-12-07, 11:35 AM  
sundari

Margaret's operation is small therefore more expensive. The only place I know of to get them cheaper is Ebay.

I think Margaret is good to have for a change of pace from Cathe's intensity. Margaret's workouts are good hi rep lo weight and she does kill you softly with a smile. She relaxes you into getting a good workout. Rather than being abrupt about it. Her older workouts are tougher. She is said to be coming out with newer workouts also. No ETA on that.

But than again there are other instructors for less intense hi rep lo weight workouts.
Old 04-12-07, 12:56 PM  
normandy

For that price, Margaret should at least have long workout clips so people could see if they want to order that particular dvd or not. I love Cathe's weight workouts but there are certain ones I don't want, and at least her ultra-long clips give me a good idea of what the workout is like and if it's going to click with me.
normandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 12:24 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgilby
I just tried my first Margaret (All My Best Vol. 1), which I got in trade, and truthfully, I can't see what the fuss is about. She gives a good solid workout, but it's nothing new, nothing fancy. They can be as easy or as hard as you want them to be depending on the weight you use.
That is the charm for me. I like having some down-to-earth, plain workouts that get the job done. Her floor work kills me!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 12:44 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Thumbs up I like Margaret, and Charlene and Gilad and...

Abbe has brought out some good points about Margaret's method of doing business. She's not "as big as" say Cathe or Beachbody, but she must be doing alright as she's still going strong, both in body and her sales. For those of us who do like her, we just save up sometimes to get one of her dvds (I'm working on that...replacing my vhs with dvd's...take up less space). To us, they're worth those prices. Margaret is very different from any other instructor I have, but just as tough.

She's not for everyone, but for some of us, she's a perfect fit as an instructor. I esp. like ladies like her and Charlene Prickett. Both are either in or very near their 60's and downright inspiring!!! I figure they must be doing a lot right to be doing what they do at their age (both older than me) and doing it so well, so I am honored to buy their workouts and be among their fans Oh, and I think Gilad is older than me, too, and he has the added advantage of being so nice for these be-spectacled eyes

Tags
margaret richard, margaret richard sale