Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-03, 10:39 PM  
Megmoves

Yoga for Couples

Have any of you found a Yoga for Couples tape that you like? I'm currious if any of you have done a yoga for couples class as well. It's something that my Honey and I were going to look into.
Megmoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-03, 06:21 AM  
sjane

We have the Om Yoga for Couples cd set, and we like it a lot. We've never done the whole thing, 'cause it's pretty long and my husband's attention span isn't that long , but doing just the warm up and cool down tracks takes about a half an hour, I think.

It's very cool.
sjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-03, 08:17 AM  
Kimberly33

I'm talking out of turn

since my honey won't go near yoga with a ten-foot pole! But, my old studio used to offer partner yoga workshops, and we did do some of the work in class afterward--I recommend it! (I guess my new studio we've been doing some partner work, too, now that I think about it). There are lots of yoga poses that benefit from partner work (ohhhhh, to have someone pull on your hips in downward dog! Yum! Oh! and there's this shoulder harness thing you can do to help with keeping your shoulders open--heaven!). If you can find a studio that offers them, I think that you'd find it really helpful.

If you go--please report back!

Kimberly

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-03, 08:19 AM  
AcademiaNut
VF Supporter

My husband and I took a partner yoga class last summer. I had a great time. Dave DID NOT!

First of all, it was his introduction to yoga, except for seeing me in strange poses from time to time. Things he thought were probably easy, well, well, well..... He has a little self-discovery to do

Secondly, he is 14" taller than me. (I know where your mind has gone. Bring it back That works fine, don't worry!) For some stretches, I was just in heaven, because he can pick me up and hold me up for a long-ish time. So, passive stretches were amazingly wonderful. Certainly, holding me up in a pose, where I really am doing a lot of the work, is no big deal for him. But I can't return the favor.

So, he ended up partnered with another tall guy married to a short woman. I think that was a little uncomfortable for both of them -not in a homophobic or sexual-identity way. It's just that they needed to touch each other in fairly personal ways, and had literally met about 10 minutes before. I think women are just more comfortable about that kind of thing.

And finally, bless his little pointy head, my husband isn't what you could call flexible, either physically or metaphorically. He thought savasana was pretty woo-woo -even though I happen to know that he uses 10-hour bike rides as meditation time of his own. So, I just let him think that corpse pose was as woo-woo as yoga gets and didn't tell him about kidney puffing or spirals or any of the stuff that boggles MY mind!

To make a short story long ..... going to a partner yoga class is well worth the effort. It seems like a bit of a long shot that two people will both like yoga well enough to develop a practice, but it could happen. And besides, there's absolutely nothing sexual about a partner yoga class. You could go with your friend from down the block and have a good time., if it turns out your husband doesn't like it.

Andrea

Andrea
Old 08-01-03, 10:43 AM  
Megmoves

My Honey is a foot taller than me, so that's really good info for me to have. He is actually the one that suggested taking up yoga to become more flexible.

He's off on a ship right now and I'm missing him terribly and I came up with the idea to try and find a couples yoga class and suprise him with it when he gets back. After sleeping in a bunk with six inches between him and the next guy, being able to stretch out would be a welcome treat.

I'm looking for a class in the Milwaukee area and haven't come up with anything yet.
Megmoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-03, 11:32 AM  
Kimberly33

Quote:
Originally posted by Megmoves
My Honey is a foot taller than me, so that's really good info for me to have. He is actually the one that suggested taking up yoga to become more flexible.

He's off on a ship right now and I'm missing him terribly and I came up with the idea to try and find a couples yoga class and suprise him with it when he gets back. After sleeping in a bunk with six inches between him and the next guy, being able to stretch out would be a welcome treat.

I'm looking for a class in the Milwaukee area and haven't come up with anything yet.
You guys might want to just go to a beginners class together. Partner work (imho) is ideal to better investigate poses, but I'm not sure that it would be the best place to start (especially since you guys are so different in height. Now I really wish my boy would go in on this with me--we're about 1 1/2 inches different! Alas...). Here's a thread where I found a TON of web searches for yoga instructors: Yoga instructor thread [that thread ended up having some really contentious moments, but I had found a bunch of web indices that should be helpful to you]. I would expect a number of teachers and studios in your area.

I think that's a neat surprise to prepare for him! Let us know how it turns out!

Kimberly

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-03, 11:35 AM  
Sophie

as delicious as partner yoga is

I really only enjoy doing it with someone about my own size and experience level - ie; not my honey, who, like some of yours, is more than a foot and over a hundred pounds larger than me.

However, it really is beneficial and pleasant to do partner assisted stretching. When I can convince him to do yoga with me, or at least stretching, it's really nice to get some added traction in very simple poses like reclined twist, etc. So, it's not exactly partner yoga in the sense of some practices where the two individuals make up a pose, it's more one person is doing the pose/stretch, and the other is helping them into it.

If you can't find a class, a great resource book is Kit Laughlin's Stretching and Flexibility (or is it Posture and Flexibility ?) Anyway, it offers safe ways to go into partner assisted stretch, much of it is based on Iyengar yoga, and it definately accomodates those just starting out in flexibility work as well as those experienced in it.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-03, 12:00 PM  
Lianne
VF Supporter

I don't know if many yoga centres offer partner yoga classes, but I have seen workshops offered occasionally. Just taking a class together can be fun. When dh and I decided we would like to do yoga together we booked a private session with my yoga teacher and she took us through some fun but basic stuff that we could do together, and gave it to us on paper, too, so we could take it home.

Maybe you could check out The Milwaukee Yoga Center.

Lianne
Lianne is offline   Reply With Quote