Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-06-22, 02:02 PM  
momofcha

Pahla B and “moderate”

As I’m looking to making changes in 2022, what I have been doing just isn’t working. I’m menopausal and have hypothyroidism. I’m finally going to try and follow Paula’s mindset shift of “moderate” daily movement. I love working out, hate resting, so I’m looking to take it down a notch. I’m thinking barre 3 and Jessica Smith or HDM. Would that be “moderate” if I’m used to Cathe, Kettlebells and Autumn?

I tried some of Pahla’s offerings and they are not enough for me. Would these be good starting options or does anyone else have any other input?

I have been wanting to build muscle, but I think I need to focus first on the weight loss that just isn’t happening with my current workouts.

Thanks for any insight.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-22, 03:29 PM  
buffmama

Think about intensity in terms of time under pressure, total time of workout, and difficulty of moves. So a shorter workout, less reps, or less difficult moves. You can also do more total body workouts that would be more metabolic. Some things are also harder mentally (and that will vary person to person). That would still count in my book as harder.
Old 01-06-22, 04:56 PM  
prettyinpink

If you like Paula, have you looked at some of her older level 4 or 5 from a few years ago, before she scaled back and stopped doing them at all? From what I remember, they are nothing close to Cathe-level, but better if her current stuff is way too light, which it is for me, too.

Barre3 is more moderate, and recently they have a little more variety.

Maybe a switch to more moderate workouts, but twice a day?
Focusing on NEAT rather than workouts is helping me in perimenopause. I still do my workouts, but make myself get up more often at times when I’d prefer to sit. Especially when I’m sitting and feel like having a snack, but don’t really need to eat, doing something for a few minutes instead, maybe a cup of herbal tea, is a habit I’m working on.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-22, 04:59 PM  
Vantreesta

Something to consider is how much more muscle does to burn calories. Some people have better progress by doing more strength training than cardio for weight loss.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-22, 05:01 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
If you like Paula, have you looked at some of her older level 4 or 5 from a few years ago, before she scaled back and stopped doing them at all? From what I remember, they are nothing close to Cathe-level, but better if her current stuff is way too light, which it is for me, too.

Barre3 is more moderate, and recently they have a little more variety.

Maybe a switch to more moderate workouts, but twice a day?
Focusing on NEAT rather than workouts is helping me in perimenopause. I still do my workouts, but make myself get up more often at times when I’d prefer to sit. Especially when I’m sitting and feel like having a snack, but don’t really need to eat, doing something for a few minutes instead, maybe a cup of herbal tea, is a habit I’m working on.
I have a job that requires me to be on my feet all day. I think I have NEAT covered. I’ll look at some of her older stuff.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-22, 06:52 PM  
bjones

Jessica Smith is a great choice for moderate workouts. Pretty much all her workouts fall into that category. And her you tube channel has hundreds of them.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-22, 09:17 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
As I’m looking to making changes in 2022, what I have been doing just isn’t working. I’m menopausal and have hypothyroidism. I’m finally going to try and follow Paula’s mindset shift of “moderate” daily movement. I love working out, hate resting, so I’m looking to take it down a notch. I’m thinking barre 3 and Jessica Smith or HDM. Would that be “moderate” if I’m used to Cathe, Kettlebells and Autumn?

I tried some of Pahla’s offerings and they are not enough for me. Would these be good starting options or does anyone else have any other input?

I have been wanting to build muscle, but I think I need to focus first on the weight loss that just isn’t happening with my current workouts.

Thanks for any insight.
Well, I could have written your post: I'm perimenopausal (close to 50 now), also have thyroid problems, and gained 35 lbs since 2018 while increasing both duration and intensity of my workouts. I not only did NOT lose weight, I kept gaining and also now have numerous injuries that won't heal. I also had gallbladder surgery a few years ago, which set me back nearly half a year.

So, once I realized that I was doing wasn't working, I did a few weeks of Pahla's workouts and also diligently listened to her podcast and read her 5-0 method. I really didn't click with her workouts since I was a Cathe fan since the 90s. No music and not heavy enough weights. Deal breakers.

I experimented with a few calorie deficits before finally finding where I needed to be to actually move the scale. I also discovered that my body really dislikes cardio at this point in time. But I really like Cathe's weight workouts (Cathe Live), so I decided to just do the ones I really like only 2-3 days a week for about 45 mins/1 hour max, and then just do Essentrics (or nothing) on the other days. Bear in mind that I had been working out hard for close to 2 hours usually 6 days a week for at least a year to lose this weight, and for about the past 10 years it was hard workouts 5 days a week to maintain my weight to no avail, so scaling back was really hard mentally.

But I lost 11 lbs in 3 months. I even lost a pant size. Finally. I kept up with my water, maintained a calorie deficit since I wasn't constantly hungry from working out, worked on my mindset that my body just isn't what it used to be, and used heavy enough weights but not too heavy to make me too ravenous. I didn't stick to the calorie deficit over the holidays but I surprisingly didn't gain that much. I am back to my routine now thankfully. Calorie deficit, moderate weights, and stretching followed by rest. Repeat.

I have been following Susan Niebergall on Instagram and just kind of incorporated things that she posted: https://www.instagram.com/susanniebergallfitness/

Every day I struggle with the notion that I should be doing more, mostly because that's what worked for so many years. But finally with some results, I'm seeing that it's at all nutrition at this stage for me and very little to do with working out. Consistency over time and maintaining muscle and mobility are now my main goals to get this weight off.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-22, 09:47 AM  
Venus

I agree with Jessica Smith for moderate workouts. She has several rotations on her website; it might be a good place to start

Jessica Smith Workout Rotations
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-22, 10:31 AM  
Leonana

Agreeing with Jessica Smith. Also, Lift with Cee and Fitness with PJ. Those channels are geared for women over 40. If I want a lighter day, I like Senior Shape Fitness or Lively Ladies.
Old 01-07-22, 10:38 AM  
donnamp

Great post, Lori - so glad you are seeing some positive changes.

I think moderate is in the eye of the beholder and you really need to experiment to find what works for you. If you do have an active job where you are moving around all day you should probably take that into account and keep formal workouts shorter/lighter and maybe focused on fitness that you don't get through your job. If that makes sense.

As an alternative to Pahla's workouts I really like the Lively Ladies channel on You Tube - although there is no music and the weights are not heavy for those used to more serious strength programs. I do think they are more advanced than Pahla's new stuff but are still moderate. She also does more thorough warm ups and she links to lengthier cool downs. I think at this age we need more warm-up and cool down and mobility work.

I also like Senior Shape by Lauren and Caroline Jordan's channel on You Tube. Caroline's in particular seems to focus a lot on function and good movement patterns.

Good luck - it is an experiment until you find out what works for you.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gall bladder, moderate intensity, pahla bowers