Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-10, 01:27 PM  
RedPanda

Question KCM's earlier circuit workouts?

I'm getting into circuit workouts, and KCM's 30 Minutes to Fitness: Bootcamp and Circuit Burn are on my wishlist.

I love Kelly, so I've also been looking at her earlier circuit workouts, The Shape of Things to Come and Cardio Sculpt Fitness. Judging from the clips, these two workouts incorporate many isolation movements in the weights segments; I know from my research that circuit workouts are meant to focus on compound movements.

Can anyone comment on this aspect of The Shape of Things to Come and Cardio Sculpt Fitness?
Old 04-27-11, 03:15 PM  
JENILU

*BUMP*

I'd like to know as well??
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 05:12 PM  
penl

I have not done them "as is" is a while but as I recall they are isolation moves in both of the titles you were asking about. They do both keep the heart rate up while lifting though (at least for me).

My favorite of the two is Cardio Sculpt Fitness because the all cardio premix is about 40 minutes and just the right for a step cardio day where I do not have an hour to workout.
penl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 05:54 PM  
patchworkpenguin

I did Shape of Things yesterday. Its 50min long. Starts with a warmup, then we move into body part supersets {such as biceps}, cardio, second set of superset, more cardio, repeat. The supersets are all isolation exercises, IIRC, I don't remember any compound moves. Lauren is present but not modifying. The cardio is simple, easy choreo, and incorporates the step but I didn't use one. Chest and abs are done on the floor at the end followed by a short stretch. HTH

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 06:32 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

RedPanda -

Have you checked out the preview clips on Kelly's site? They're longer than what is on Mary's site and Collage.

It's been a while since I've done these workouts but I really do like Cardio/Sculpt Fitness. Have only done Shape of Things to Come once in full and twice just strength. Lauren wasn't doing modifications at that time, so there is no low impact option shown.

Gib

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 07:12 PM  
mtnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by penl View Post

My favorite of the two is Cardio Sculpt Fitness because the all cardio premix is about 40 minutes and just the right for a step cardio day where I do not have an hour to workout.
I will always do The Shape of Things to Come in it's entirety. I only do Cardio Sculpt Fitness with the cardio premix. I find the angles in the weight work to be a little awkward for me. It's also 70 minutes long, IIRC, and that's just not appealing to me. But love the cardio premix.

TSoTTC is probably more isolated weight work than say, Bootcamp, Circuit Burn, or Powersculpting. But it hits all the muscle groups. Some say it's a bit light in leg work, but I think the plyo's in the cardio works the legs as well.
Old 04-28-11, 09:30 AM  
KathAL79

There are a few reviews of The Shape of Things to Come in the VF Reviews section, but oddly none of Cardio Sculpt Fitness.

You may find The Shape of Things to Come under its mass-market release title, Complete Cardio Sculpting.

In general much, if not all, of Kelly's earlier work is all about the body parts, with much more isolation work, and these are no exception. Although there are things I like about these, this is one that doesn't thrill me as much.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 02:32 PM  
Pascal

Funny, I did Cardio Sculpt Fitness last night! It is super fun. Personally, my favorite Kelly circuit workout.

You do a step segment (athletic choreography), then you work upper body, then you do an athletic drill for 60 seconds, then do a second round of upper body. Second round is same format only you work lower body, and so on and so on. It is fun and it works you hard. I highly recommend it!

Tags
circuit, circuit training, circuit workouts, circuits, kcm, kelly coffey meyer, kelly coffey-meyer