Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-22, 01:35 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Favorite Interval Training Workouts

I feel like I perform best in interval type workouts where I get my heart rate up for a short period of time and then there is a period of less intensity built into the workout where I can recover without having to actually pause the workout to take a break.

All out, constant high intensity leaves me discouraged more often than not, but an entire workout that is steady-state and lower/medium intensity throughout leaves me watching the clock. This applies for both cardio and resistance workouts - resistance training definitely can also get my heart rate up depending on the work involved!

Some example of workouts that I do enjoy that I feel are in this interval format are JNL Fusion and the Les Mills Combat workouts. I know I actually probably own a ton of DVDs that fit this, but maybe you guys can list some of your favorites to help me know which ones to pull from my collection to re-visit?!?! I'm drawing a complete blank trying to recall on my own

The intervals don't have to be HIIT, going from even medium to low and back is fine as well. I just like the intentional breakup in time between one level and another. Workouts with a defined time in each level - like JNL Fusion with 30 second intervals - are even better!

Looking forward to seeing the responses here
Old 08-13-22, 02:09 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

My favorite interval workout is Intense Moves. Gin Miller and the background exercisers show three levels of intensity.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-22, 02:43 PM  
T2B

Michelle Dozois Peak Fit System. These are described as a metabolic interval climbing system. I did these workouts for the first time, in June, and they fast became some of my most favorite workouts, ever. I love, love these workouts and now Michele has a place of honor on my shelves after Cathe, and before Taebo, lol.

The music is great and the workouts are a mixture of intensities and impact. Any high impact can easily be modified. I followed the rotation for 6 weeks and I loved every minute of it. I loved the system so much that I scoured eBay and Amazon and found the Peak 10 Fat Blasters & Remix workouts as well. I don’t know how I missed the bandwagon when these were first released but they’re really good workouts.

All the workouts end with a wonderful stretch. The workouts consists of either 4 or 5 blocks, each block is 5 minutes but within each block there could be 2.5 minutes of a strength routine, followed by a 2.5 mins mixed impact cardio routine and then a short, cardio peak move and then repeated. Everything is done twice but I still loved it the 2nd time through. The moves are choreographed to the music. Weights used are medium to heavy, with a progressive overload principle. I even fell in love with the stiff Peak Fit band once I could actually get some action out of it.

I hate to admit it but I’ll probably buy another Peak Fit set next time Mary has a great sale. Of course, I’d leave the 2nd set at my Mom’s house.

joy, love
peace and patience
kindness with goodness
faithfulness & gentleness
self-control
- Motivational Sticker

Now: XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating (Generic) 7/22/22 - 10/24/22
Peak Fit System: 6/3/22 - 7/21/22 *** STS/LIS 90 Day Undulating: 11/19/21 - 2/12/22 *** 6 Week Fusion XTRAIN: 5/17/21 - 6/27/21 *** Body Beast: 12/21/20 - 3/18/21 *** STS: 1/29/20 - 5/3/20 *** Fit Tower/LIS/ICE/ 90 Day: 10/29/19 - 1/19/20 *** XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating: 7/29/19 - 10/25/19
T2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-22, 07:19 AM  
samantha-kitty

T2B - check your PM box

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2B View Post
Michelle Dozois Peak Fit System...

I hate to admit it but I’ll probably buy another Peak Fit set next time Mary has a great sale. Of course, I’d leave the 2nd set at my Mom’s house.
Sending you a PM. I have a set with unused band that I am not using and likely never will (post-menopausal need to scale back intensity and shoulder injury this past year).
samantha-kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-22, 10:34 AM  
samantha-kitty

zraipel please send me an email

I have tried to PM and email you multiple times though this forum today and keep getting a "500" error message for both methods.

I have one of your unicorns from previous Request the Wealth threads and can't tell if you are a member of VF Roost on Facebook to contact you there.

Test messages to myself are going through, so hopefully you can contact me.

Last edited by samantha-kitty; 08-14-22 at 10:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-14-22, 10:41 AM  
red1013

Do you like step? My favorites are Cathe's step workouts: Interval Max, IMax 2 and Low Max.
Old 08-14-22, 12:29 PM  
bubbles76

I hear you on the all out, constant high intensity leaving me discouraged. I just can't keep up with that type of intensity anymore (maybe ever lol!). My favorite interval workouts are Sweat Total Body Burn and Sweat More, both by Jen Edwards. Love, love these workouts! I should get backups.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-22, 12:32 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha-kitty View Post
I have tried to PM and email you multiple times though this forum today and keep getting a "500" error message for both methods.

I have one of your unicorns from previous Request the Wealth threads and can't tell if you are a member of VF Roost on Facebook to contact you there.

Test messages to myself are going through, so hopefully you can contact me.
I sent you a PM - hope it goes through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2B View Post
Michelle Dozois Peak Fit System. These are described as a metabolic interval climbing system. I did these workouts for the first time, in June, and they fast became some of my most favorite workouts, ever. I love, love these workouts and now Michele has a place of honor on my shelves after Cathe, and before Taebo, lol.

The music is great and the workouts are a mixture of intensities and impact. Any high impact can easily be modified. I followed the rotation for 6 weeks and I loved every minute of it. I loved the system so much that I scoured eBay and Amazon and found the Peak 10 Fat Blasters & Remix workouts as well. I don’t know how I missed the bandwagon when these were first released but they’re really good workouts.

All the workouts end with a wonderful stretch. The workouts consists of either 4 or 5 blocks, each block is 5 minutes but within each block there could be 2.5 minutes of a strength routine, followed by a 2.5 mins mixed impact cardio routine and then a short, cardio peak move and then repeated. Everything is done twice but I still loved it the 2nd time through. The moves are choreographed to the music. Weights used are medium to heavy, with a progressive overload principle. I even fell in love with the stiff Peak Fit band once I could actually get some action out of it.

I have this set - I just never seem to remember that I have it! I've never really given it much of a shot. Sometimes when I'm trying to choose a workout/program, I'll watch clips on Mary's site of workouts that I already own to see what I might be in the mood for. Michelle Dozois' workouts always seem so frenetic in the clips that I'm always convinced that I just won't be able to keep up and I choose other things. But knowing that there are lower intensity periods in this set might make me actually give it a real shot I know the format of the set is based upon working up from low to high intensity and then back down, but something about watching Michelle on the screen always makes the intensity seem high!
Old 08-14-22, 12:33 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I hear you on the all out, constant high intensity leaving me discouraged. I just can't keep up with that type of intensity anymore (maybe ever lol!). My favorite interval workouts are Sweat Total Body Burn and Sweat More, both by Jen Edwards. Love, love these workouts! I should get backups.
I've looked at these before but have never tried them. I'll need to see about acquiring them
Old 08-14-22, 12:42 PM  
samantha-kitty

still can't send PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraipel View Post
I sent you a PM - hope it goes through!
Got your PM, but I still can't reply. Getting the same 500 error.

Then found and replied to your email using the address you sent me.

Last edited by samantha-kitty; 08-14-22 at 12:59 PM. Reason: updated info

Tags
interval training, interval workouts