Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-27-22, 08:02 AM  
Vantreesta

(forgot to copy/paste this yesterday) PT this morning, then this afternoon I did Jessica Smith Look Better Naked and Slim in 6 Slim & Limber. I don't remember the last time I did a 54 minute workout!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-22, 06:56 PM  
Vantreesta

Today I went for a run. It was supposed to be for the Hot Chocolate virtual 5k I have to complete by the 1st but it didn't end up that way. For various reasons that include heat and sunshine I only managed to run 2.39 mi with my run intervals getting shorter and shorter! I finally gave up, completed the run workout and started a walk one and slowly walked the remaining .75 mi back home. I'm choosing to celebrate that I got out and did it and not beat myself up for not meeting my goal. I stretched about 10 min after I cooled off some and showered.

If I can't get a 5k in before the 1st I'll just have to use the slow time from the race I did with my friend.

Where is everyone???

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 06-07-22, 11:22 AM  
Vantreesta

I haven't worked out since Thursday, partly bc of preoccupation with the findings at my podiatrist appt I had Friday. I went in for lateral foot pain that I suspected was peroneal brevis tendonitis but since it has been going on since last summer I figured I should get it looked at. The pain has always been mild and intermittent, never stopping me from doing anything, but the duration pushed me to have it checked. I was correct in my self diagnosis of the tendonitis so that was good. X-rays showed no indication of current or past stress fracture. What they did show, however, is elevated first metatarsals. I apparently have degeneration in both big toe joints and he said that is caused by the shape and location of my metatarsals. His recommendation and dire prediction were to have surgery on both feet while I still have good bones and am young(ish) and healthy or else they will degrade to the point of arthritis and eventual fusion or replacement. Okay so he freaked me out, hit all the right alarm buttons and words so I was super super stressed all wknd worrying about this. But I checked back in my medical records and when my left toe joint was first X-rayed in 2009, there was apparently no concern with bone density or structure, which leads me to believe my lifestyle and choices caused a shift in my foot structure and it's not smthg I was born with. If that really is the case then surely PT can help me reposition things back to a normal foot. Anyway, I'm working on getting a second opinion but at this point I am thinking no surgeries. I have pretty successfully managed hip impingements and torn hip labrum for over a decade with help from PT and my chiropractor, so I feel with the right guidance I can at least try to fix this problem myself. If that doesn't work then I can consider surgery. But hate the idea of being cut into and once surgery is done there's no going back!

I hope everyone is just busy with life and nothing bad going on. Miss you girls!

Old 06-24-22, 10:47 PM  
Vantreesta

Hi, ladies! We drove out to Colorado last Friday. We went to their Renaissance Festival on Saturday and Sunday, hiked on Monday, went to Denver (super psyched to see Coors Field!) and then up Pikes Peak on Tuesday, and drove home on Wednesday. Yesterday was a lazy day, watched the Twins day game and then dozed off after it was over. I was so happy to pick Cyric up from the kennel yesterday morning. I missed him so much!

Today I did my PT and a new calf warmup with Caroline Jordan then ran a mile, then a piriformis practice with Helen Clare and the post-run premix from Tracey Staehle's Yoga Solutions. The premixes on that DVD are definitely not seamless! This was my first real workout day (other than the hikes Monday) since the podiatrist told me the 3rd that I need surgery on both feet. I'm researching other options but it's been very hard to find motivation with that weighing in me. Felt good to get it done today. I even ran while it was 88 and real feel was like 92! I don't know how this winter girl isn't melting on hot summer runs!

Old 07-20-22, 11:42 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Yikes! I haven't checked in for months! I've actually been traveling back and forth to Georgia since I think end of March.

My dad passed away April 21. I actually went to GA in October when he was in the hospital and he declined after that. My brother and I have been trying to settle his affairs and clean out the house and it's been a HUGE task. I also brought my grandma to my house to live in early May.

I have actually managed to work out pretty consistently. It's blazing hot here of course. I got in several runs while in GA and it was so pretty there. For about 2 months I did Peloton strength workouts with Adrian. I was doing upper, lower, and full body thirty minute workouts for a while and that was great.

Now I've switched to Les Mills for the summer. They have a new strength development program out which is way better than Body Pump, so I'm using it, doing Body Combat, and going to the gym occasionally.

My daughter actually started school today and my son goes Monday (they're in different districts).

Vantreesta, sorry we just left you here all alone! How are you?

Waves to Allison and Daphne! I know we need a new thread but I wanted to check in here where you both still were last.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-22, 02:33 PM  
Vantreesta

Tue 7/19 139 minutes ALL STAR GAME!
7 minutes (from E. Jade Belly Dancer Diaries -Daily Dance Challenge - 28 April 2020 - Sultana by Sameh Sergious, YT) 1st time
28 minutes (from PT strength exercises + short stretch)
8 minutes (from C. Jordan No Impact Foot, Calf, and Shin Strength Exercise Video, YT)
30 minutes (from 2.18 mi for 10k trainer wk1 day1)
20 minutes (from M. Giordano Athletic Yoga: Yoga for Runners post-run practice)
7 minutes (from J. de Groot Yoga Treat 21-Day Yin Yoga Pose Challenge day 8-toe squat pose, YT) 1st time
6 minutes (from one session toe yoga)
33 minutes (from 2 dog walks 2.24 mi) so hot!

Had my appt today. My PT called it a gait assessment so I'm not sure if how it went wasn't really what she expected or if my expectations of what gait analysis means is different, but I would call it more if a foot assessment. She felt and looked my feet all over, watched me walk back and forth a few times, watched how I stand, asked a lot of questions, looked at my x-rays, looked at my walking and running shoes inside and out and the wear on the insoles and tread, took a print of my feet, watched me run down a hall and back and then explained everything and showed me where the dysfunction is happening. She said your feet definitely need help, which the callusing is telling us, but they are not that bad, are totally manageable and stay away from the knife! I was so happy to hear that. She showed me her feet bc they're very similar to mine and she has managed her bunions for 40 years, has no calluses anymore, and her feet look better than mine do right now. I do still have the appt for the second opinion next month and I will listen to what he has to say but my questions will be directed more toward what exercises should I be doing and is there anything I should be avoiding or minimizing or modifying. Anyway, she'll be making orthotics for me but is backed up so it will be about weeks till I get them. I have a heel insole thing that will give support to keep the heels from tilting in until the orthotics come in and I could feel the difference even though it isn't much correction. After those come in I can look at getting new shoes. She also highly recommended I buy padded socks to give the metatarsals extra cushion.

So good to hear from you, Pratima! Wow, you really have had a lot going on! I'm sorry to heard about your dad. That must be a big adjustment having your grandma live with you. I hope it has been a pretty smooth transition for all.

Been busy here but finally have a few months that should be quieter except for weekends. The big Ren fest here starts in a month.

Old 07-21-22, 07:19 AM  
Vantreesta

I am looking forward to a quiet wknd. Last week I got home from IN on Tuesday, left Friday evening for my FIL's and came home Sunday, then Monday I had an appt an hour away from home and groceries took up that afternoon, yesterday the appt was an hour away and tmrw is just an oil change in my town but still, another thing to wreck my morning routine! Yesterday I never got in a real workout, just two toe yoga sessions and some ball massage. I was so tired I even took a nap in the afternoon.

Old 07-21-22, 10:43 PM  
Vantreesta

Thu 7/21 166 minutes
6 minutes from 1 session toe yoga)
60 minutes (from pulling weeds)
30 minutes (from 2.14 mi for 10k trainer wk1 day2/Zombies Run S3M52)
29 minutes (from D. Siebers Slim Series Cool It Off Express)
41 minutes (from 3 dog walks 3.07 mi)

I'm tired tonight! I think the last couple weeks is catching up to me and I'm unbelievably heading to bed shortly.

Old 07-30-22, 12:05 PM  
Vantreesta

I've been working out and doing house and yard work this week. And now I'm in almost full-fledged Halloween brain already.

If everyone comes back we can start a new thread. Miss hearing from you all!

Old 08-02-22, 01:57 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I'm still here! Life has been challenging lately. Mostly little things coming up that then take a lot of time to deal with, like DS falling at school and fracturing his wrist. <rolleyes>

I've been doing the Les Mills strength workouts for I think 5 weeks now and really enjoying them. They're usually full-body but some are splits (even those do hit lower and upper) and about 40-45 minutes. I feel like I've built lots of muscle! I do feel like I need to up my cardio though, to increase endurance and cardiovascular strength but these workouts make me really tired!

I think next week I'll do barre or something completely different. The Les Mills subscription is a summer deal so I probably won't have it much longer.

It cooled off a bit here (highs in the 90s) so i was trying to be outdoors more, but this week it's hot again.

Vantreesta, if you start a new thread, I promise I'll check in! It might not be often but I'll be there. I know Allison is on vacation--I've been seeing her pictures on FB.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote