Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-24-22, 10:43 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

I teach a new night class tonight. So just essentrics 30 min sculpting + 8 min ravi & ana

ebianco - it's so stressful when an animal is hurting - they can't tell us what we want to know!

buzzer - glad you got your car back. I wish I knew the little secret - and I wish I had the bandwidth to count calories. I think that might help but right now just NOT ABLE to add that to my list of things to do.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-22, 11:02 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

It was lower body today with EPIC Heat legs (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iyU...4uVpN&index=19) and I tacked on some slow and steady pilates style abs (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZaS...Cqjdn&index=96). I really liked this EPIC Heat workout, it was shorter at only about 32 minutes and it was no repeats, just moved through the whole library of lower body work with and without weights. It was great! The time flew by but of course it was a little shorter. The abs was great too. I tried to go slow and steady like her. My only complaint with the abs is that she didn't preview moves during the 15 second rests. I am so spoiled from the other youtubers that do that!

I decided tomorrow I'll do Firm Volume 4, going lighter on the weights so I'll be more rejuvenated for Dream Body on Saturday.

Eventmom and Buzzer thank you for your kind thoughts about Lucy. Actually, she never whines or seems bothered when I'm around her leg or rubbing it (of course I'm not trying to manipulate the joint like the vet was doing, Lucy was starting to look unhappy when they did all that). My DH says it bothers me more than it bothers her. I have been giving her aspirin but it doesn't seem to be that she in pain, so that's good...the vet said to do two more weeks of rest and we will see. Her young age of 4 is supposed to kick in for her and make her heal fast...Buzzer yes I considered that, I mean I was even thinking the orthopedic would have non-surgical recommendations that my regular vet probably just wouldn't be aware of or know where to start with it. Like physical therapy, I definitely would want to exhaust that option before surgery.

Buzzer I'm glad you got your little car back!

The boxing sounds like a good workout! I'm glad you continue to enjoy the Cathe workouts! I've also been tempted to subscribe to the Cathe Live workouts but like you I think I would have analysis paralysis and it would be a waste. Also like you said streaming means you're really married to the one platform, and does not facilitate any kind of variety. I mean it would feel like a waste to pay for streaming, then decide to do a DVD. Or have to subscribe to three sites so you get all the variety you want! Also, with so much good free content on youtube, it's tough to justify streaming costs at all unless you're really passionate about the one instructor/platform.
Old 03-25-22, 11:13 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA level 2.9 day 2 + 10 min cardio

taught a new course last night - so tired slept super crappy - had an online meeting this am.

ebianco - I get it with pets. My horse was not lame with this last thing but there I was out at the barn at 9pm icing her leg, wrapping her, keeping her in a paddock so she wouldn't run around. I've mostly avoided streaming, I have one app but it was < $100 for the year. I don't have to use it much to make it worth the $.

hi buzzer!
Old 03-25-22, 11:58 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Happy Friday!

I was dragging a bit today but I still did Firm Volume 4, I made a mistake by using 3# for all the step aerobics when I should have probably used 2# but I pushed through. I went a little lighter on the weight work, and I always love the abs on this one!! It's so well choreographed, fast, but also challenging.

Tomorrow will be Dream Body Fusion from the original series.

Eventmom Yes it is stressful (and extra work) when a pet has an injury ugh. That is a lot of work to help heal your horse!!

That does seem like a good price for streaming for a full year!! When I have done streaming in the past, it is always on a black friday sale (I did P57 once and Pure Barre another time) so the price was right.

Buzzer waves!
Old 03-26-22, 07:57 AM  
Buzzer

Xtrain Bis and Tris.. DONE!

I took a rest day on Thursday. I think I just felt like I needed it! Yesterday I did bis and tris, but I think I should have gone up in weight. I used lower than Cathe, so when she used 20's I thought she was crazy and used 15's. Then I could have done more reps. I started using her weight for some of it, however I really underestimated myself on most of it. Today I don't even feel a thing from yesterday's workout. Kinda bummed about that, but it's OK. I got more days of workouts to go!!

Today is that cardio legs workout, which I am kinda dreading because it is SO LONG, however I am also looking forward to it. Now that I do it at my pace and pause whenever I want to, it feels more do-able. When I powered through and tried to follow Cathe or whoever the instructor was on things, I dreaded this kind of workout more. Now that I am utilizing my pause button and catching my breath, I like it better! So I don't know if the dread feeling is the former me that is dreading it, or the current, more laid back, me. I'm also supposed to do core #2, but I know I was so wiped out last time from this workout that the core was a no go. I'll see how I do. I can always tack it on tomorrow.

LB had a playdate with a kid she went to that one day a week school with when she was in Kindergarten and first grade. He's an adorable kid! She played with him and his brother, who is 13. They had a ball! So we did some school in the morning, and met them at 11. I got a text from her BFF for her to go up there and play, so right after we left the boy we went and I dropped her off at her BFF's to play. DH wanted me to run to town for something, then go to his shop. So I did that, and met his new employee. I sat there for about an hour, then figured I'd go home. DH texted he was coming down to the shop, and asked me to wait for him. So I did. I ended up being there until about 7:30pm!! I finally said "LB will be home soon. I have to go!" I don't know why I had to be there, but I am kinda bummed LB was at her friends house for so long and I got nothing done.

By the time I got home and picked her up (and talked to the parents, who I absolutely love!) it was 8:30pm. I was exhausted, and LB should have been too!

Today she has westernaires again, then she is going over to the new girl in the 'hood's house with all her friends from the 'hood. I told her we might have everyone over here on Sunday, since it's supposed to be 70 degrees. However, I may gauge how she feels after all this playing!!! Everyone in our county is on Spring Break, so I guess maybe this is how it's supposed to be

So I had said that I would buy the Xtrain boxing workout if I found it for $10 or under. Guess what?? I found it for $10.50. I decided to get it, even though it was .50 over what I said I'd pay. I am not crazy about the boxing part, however I wanted the rep challenges so if I decide to do another cardio with one muscle group weights, I have a complete set of one body part weights. Probably a stupid reason, but for $10.50 I've made stupider decisions.

Ebianco: I'm glad Tiffany is fine. However poor Lucy! I hope she is slowly getting better. How heartbreaking. I hate it when my pets are sick or sore

I still can't believe you do things like Vol 4 then Dream Body on consecutive days! Those aren't easy workouts! Maybe I have been going easy on myself! You do make me think that I should go back to a DB some day. I remember enjoying them, and using my lightest (I think 2 pound?) weights on it and dying. it's is such a tough workout! I just never knew if it was worth it! However, I was doing it as a rotation, I would probably enjoy it more as an occasional workout.

Eventmom: whenever you have a sick horse, I always think about the fact that you actually have to leave your house and go outside to care for them. That would be so hard. I obsess so much about them, that I like being in my house to follow them around for hours on end or snuggle with them. I can't imagine going outside, especially in the extremes of hot and cold, to take care of them. That's one of my considerations with Lb wanting a donkey. I would have to go outside and do a lot, instead of sitting in my house and doing it there. It's a big commitment!

I'm hearing ya on the "not on my bandwidth" to count calories. I have tried, it's just so tedious. I can't commit to it. I have done it for a few weeks at a time, however when I make dinner, it's not just a meat, veggie, and rice. I make things, and to figure out the calories in those concoctions is ridiculous. it's not worth it to me. I just try to eat as healthy as I can, and limit myself. I don't go crazy on sugar or snack or treats, and do what I can. I try not to let it bother me, but it really does!!!

Today is supposed to be 65ish degrees!!! This whole weekend is supposed to be nice. Then on Tuesday we start with snow again. I love and hate spring here!! March and April are our snowiest months, however they also are great months because if it snows, it's warm the next day and melts fast. I don't like it when it snows and is bone chilling cold for days on end!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-22, 02:38 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

I did Dream Body Fusion today and it was tough, so I did all the low impact modifications. Just focusing on the toning aspect is tough enough!! I felt like I was dragging BUT I will say the workout went by super fast!!! And I always feel like a million bucks after a DB workout!

Eventmom waves!

Buzzer I think I maybe still overdid it on Firm Volume 4 yesterday haha, because I was dragging today. I tried to take it easier and use lighter weights, work up a sweat and get in some lighter toning, but I always end up working harder than I meant to. Today's workout I modified, modified, modified. I mean it's Dream Body! I feel like I used to be able to dance through these with minimal modification, but that was before I met DH and I was fitter then, had more energy I think.

Great find on the Train boing workout!! That $10.50 price is a good one for a Cathe workout with all the premixes and bonuses!! She really does have a top rate DVD product

Lucy seems about the same...maybe a little better? It's hard to tell since it wasn't obviously bad to begin with. She was so excited she was on her two hind legs (leaning up against the doggie gate separating her part of the hallway from the others) and jumping up on her two hind legs and could do it without her kneecap moving or presumably without pain, so I guess that's good? Even though I'm supposed to be keeping her rested...LOL (face palm). It is hard keeping her rested.

I've been counting calories through my Carb Manager app, but agree it is extremely tedious. Thankfully I eat a lot of the same foods so it's easy to log because it remembers what I've had before, and the library is actually pretty big (you can scan barcodes and I'd say 90% of them come up I'm impressed) but it is VERY tedious. I have been slowly losing weight but I feel like it's just SO HARD and maybe more effort than it's worth? But then it is the afternoon right now when I drag and feel cranky, but I feel amazing in the morning so it's hard to say.
Old 03-27-22, 06:34 AM  
Buzzer

Xtrain Cardio Legs...DONE!

Wow. I am so glad I have made friends with my pause button!! I did every section (there are 12) 100% of what I was capable of. I gave it my all. I didn't go as low as Cathe, but I did grab her weights on everything. I jumped and reached and bent and leaped.... I thought this is the longest workout. Seriously thought it was an hour long. When all 12 rounds are done and I paused to look at how much time I just did, it was only 48 minutes. Just 48 minutes. Seems like over an hour!! How did she do all that in 48 minutes???? I cheered when the first 6 sections were done and they spliced it together for the second 6 sections. I remembered myself saying the second 6 were easier. Then I proved myself wrong. They are NOT easier.

So I was WIPED OUT. I sat for the morning. LB went over to her BFF's house before westernaires, so I just sat and zoned out. Then I pulled myself together, took her to westernaires, dropped her off at BFF's house afterwards, then walked her with her BFF's Mom (and BFF) to new friend's house for the evening. LB was exhausted. The only time I see her get weepy is when she is exhausted, and she was weepy when she came home. Too much sun and fun! I considered having friends over today since it's supposed to be 70 degrees, however I think I will let her sleep in, have a chill morning, and see how we are feeling. I don't want to push her! We had another party to go to at night for a friend that is moving away, however I am glad I chose not to push us to go to it. We will find a time to get together with them before they leave.

Ebianco: What is it about marrying DH's that makes us go from peak performance to not at our best fitness wise??? I was in peak shape before DH, and when we got married I lost so much of it. Not intentionally, I just did. I know I quit running, because it's impossible to run up here! The hills killed me and made me hate running. But I still lifted and walked. I don't know. It's like marriage has a built in kill switch for fitness! HA!

I think it's good Lucy can beg up and jump on her legs. It is impossible to keep them completely rested! When we had to completely rest Eugene we would walk him outside on a leash to do his business, and keep him inside or on the deck. He is a low energy dog and he about went crazy!! We were supposed to rest him for 2 weeks, and I think we made it a week and a half before we just let him out without Otis. There's just no way.

Eventmom & Ebianco: I tried counting calories on my Fitbit, and it had a memory too. I loved it for like, breakfast and lunch where I would eat the same things, however dinner for me is always some concoction that is hard to figure out how to measure the ingredients, and how much I had. I throw in some beef and vegetables then make a sauce... I have no idea what I had, exactly! So I would do good with counting until dinner. Then I would estimate, and I never knew how good that was. So I just decided to try to eat well and hope for the best. At least I am eating healthier than I ever have in my life! Even when I was in the best shape of my life, I didn't eat as healthy as I do now. So I guess that has to count for something.

Maybe today will be sit on the deck and read books for a while. Air out the house day. We are supposed to have snow starting Tuesday again, so I want to make sure we are enjoying this nice day while we have it!!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 03-27-22, 04:11 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Saturday - TA level 2.9 day 3 + dc 1.3
today - TA level 2.9 day 4 + 15 walking

I'm only getting 25 reps in - this level has several moves on one arm and one lift (lift and kick over so you sit on one leg, then kick lift up back over)

ebianco - the app did a sale which got it to < $100 - the workouts are mostly available on youtube but I used them enough that is was nice to get the ad free versions and the extras. Glad lucy seems to be feeling better.

buzzer - fortunately my horses live on my property and my barn is super snug so usually not that bad to be out in. mostly I'm glad I can take care of them properly but yeah sometimes I'm like ugh, 9pm out the barn - or when I had the colics - ugh I'm awake at 4am guess I'll go check my horse LOL.

ebianco & buzzer - and how about guessing calories when you eat out? nope.
Old 03-28-22, 08:27 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Good morning,

Yesterday I finished my workout week. I wanted stretching but something a touch more energetic, almost like dynamic stretching, so I thought of Ellen Barrett and I was going to do Crunch Yoga-Pilates Blend, I used to love this one!! I found it on the shelf but then I saw a Buti series Evolve that I totally forgot I purchased with a guy instructor, and decided to try that out instead, and if I didn't like it, would do Ellen. Well I did like it! I didn't go the full hour just the first 40 minutes, with a little modifying to make it more stretchy less strengthy (he did a few yoga balances that I skipped) and he definitely missed some exercises on the second side, a few times, so I ended up free styling from him a little to try to repeat what I did on the first side. So as I'm now thinking out loud, not a HUGE endorsement so far but I did enjoy it anyway haha. There are five full length workouts in the set so hopefully the others will be better planned and not miss a bunch of exercises.

Rest day today and tomorrow. It's pretty chilly so it's unlikely I'll go out for a walk. Also with Lucy's leg issue, I have lost my motivation to take the dogs out for a walk although I could coop her up so I could still take the others out. I ended up having to bunk her with all the others last night/this morning because the maids are here today and hope her leg won't get worse while she's in with them. She seems fine truly, but her poor little back right leg does look slightly weak sometimes to me. Buzzer yes it is so hard to keep her quiet and separated!!

Eventmom When you said ad free it made me think that I do have a subscription of sorts, I "subscribe" to youtube premium so I don't have the ads when I work out, also I listen to a lot of music off of youtube so it is really worth it for me. I seem to be the only person I know that is willing to pay for youtube premium but I would give up netflix or hulu (I don't have cable so those are my "tv" sources) before I would give up my youtube premium! Anyway I'm glad the app was a good purchase! who is your app with? sorry if you said before and I missed it!

Buzzer Wow I think that's the second time you've talked about getting through that Xtrain Cardio Legs, it sounds sooooo tough!! Congratulations on pushing through it again!!

I know for me when I first started dating DH, I was out with him all night every night (we just couldn't be apart ) when I was used to quiet evenings and resting a lot, and within the first year I stopped waking up totally rejuvenated every day, I feel like I never totally recaptured that despite living a quieter life now. I was 100% on point with exercise and food when I met him, the exercise stayed on point but I did get more tired on a daily basis like I said, and the eating declined because we were going out to eat a LOT, and at different times of the day (like late dinner) than I was used to eating. Now that we are married and living together, a lot of the dating "problems" went away like the late nights and constant eating out. However, we have so many pets (I mean we have 5 dogs, but we would have 10 if I said okay to every time he asked for another, not exaggerating?!) and while I love the dogs and wouldn't NOT have them now, it is a daily pandemonium. I feel worn because despite promises he made, I ended up taking care of them nearly 100%. Not just the daily care of cleaning, feeding, and watering (and attention) but grooming and keeping on top of their health (medicine and vet expenses), etc. Much like I imagine any mom would be with their human child, I miss them every second that I'm not around them, but also I never feel like I have any time to myself.

It is still way too cold lately to go out on the deck and read books, but that's definitely an activity I enjoy when it's warmer!

Eventmom and Buzzer I'm doing just okay on the calorie counting, or more to the point carb counting. I have been trying to do keto but I think I just need to open up my fruits and vegetables more. I feel guilty every time I eat a pint of raspberries because it blows my carbs for the day and it's ridiculous I think I'll continue to try to use the app for calorie counting but stop fixating on the macro amounts.
Old 03-28-22, 09:55 AM  
Buzzer

Cathe burn sets Back, Chest and Shoulders...DONE!

I love this workout. It's three sets of 10 reps, three exercises per muscle group. I used Cathe's weight for the most part, or one step lower. I think that's probably word for word what I said last time! I went up to 25's on the back (when Cathe is at 35) and for the back flies, which I am bad at, I used 8's (she used 12's!). I did try to go up on weight on everything though! It felt good and I felt very worked out.

DH went out of town to present at a conference, so I spent the morning rearranging the furniture and deep cleaning while LB played with her friends in the yard. I got SO much done! I always had a bookcase behind the couch, and I hated it. I had no idea what to do with it. It made the living room smaller (our small living room! since the couch was pushed forward about 18" due to the book case) and the books behind the couch made that whole area look busier. So I moved the book case to the side, and the couch back. Now I think we look like we have more space! Plus an open wall! The book case is now on the side, and I think it looks better there. I feel like there's more light in here too.

I also pulled out all my sewing I had stashed behind my chair, and did some of it. I will finish today. Get that off "display" too.

I had so much energy, I cleaned out my car, vacuumed, armor-alled it, and washed the windows. Then I made us dinner and crashed!!! I was pooped. By 7:15 I was ready to go to bed. I waited until 9 though.

Then I woke up at 2am and was totally awake. I even tried NyQuil. Nope. still awake. So, I cleaned out my half of the closet. I went through my clothes, I sorted, put some stuff to goodwill, put my summer clothes where I can reach them when I need them... then went back to bed at 5am.

I now have woken up at 8:15am. I hate that. So I haven't worked out. I figure I'll put LB onto math and typing, and go workout. At least my closet is clean! HA!

Ebianco: I didn't know the dogs were a result of your husband! That's funny! I totally understand him saying he'd do things for the dogs, then you ending up being 100% responsible. We have 2 big dogs and a kid that I had that deal on too! I can't imagine 5. I love them all and wouldn't live without any of them... however, whenever LB talks about a donkey, I know that adds in another "Mom" responsibility, and that one is outdoors. I don't want to do that like Eventmom does!

When I first met my DH, I was still personal training, teaching group fitness classes, and doing massage. PLUS I would go out and run at 6am every other day, and lift with a friend the days I didn't run! I was doing a ton of working out. There were no late nights for us! I had a really strict schedule. I quit the group fitness classes and some of the personal training when we got married, because the commute would have been nuts and the schedule wouldn't fit my new life and location. I tried running up here, but you know how that worked out for me. I kept doing massage, but I only gained maybe 10 pounds by dropping all that.
I ended up dropping running and walking the dog 4 miles a day instead, whether I lifted or not. So maybe that's why.

We were married 5 years before LB came along, so I think maintaining only a 10 pound gain was good!

I love hearing the stories! I used to take my weekends and have quiet where I would just do things in my backyard... whether that was yard work, reading a book in the hammock, or I had a little gazebo with a pond I would sit in and read and drink a beer. It was so relaxing! Now I feel like my life is always chaos too! There isn't even anywhere outside that I can sit and enjoy without chaos. The back deck is the closest, and that right now still has about 6" of snow on it. However, when it thaws, that's my place! The rest of our 2 acres is construction or kid playing stuff. I loved having that balance I had before! I don't know how to recapture that though.

Hi Eventmom! I hope you are sleeping a bit better. And wrapping up your year!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14