Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-20-22, 06:46 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

TA Meta and everything else - Spring / Summer 2022

TA Meta and everything else - Spring/Summer 2022

We started out as a TA/Meta thread and some have moved to other types of workouts so all welcome. We post sometimes everyday sometimes less often.

So ALL WELCOME!
Old 03-20-22, 06:56 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi All,

I finished my workout week today with a cardio/core workout from CDorner Fitness (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCyGT98dc3k) and I really liked it! She alternated 3 minutes of easy to follow hi/lo cardio with 3, 45 second ab exercises, then back to 3 minutes of cardio, etc. She uses the gliders for the abs and it was very creative! There was some tough plank work with the sliders, but also a lot of standing balance challenges (one where you balance the glider disk on your bent leg you're holding up at waist height while you balance, that is harder than it looks! My thigh wouldn't stay totally parallel to the floor but I was able to accomplish the balance aspect) and another on the mat where you balance the glider on your inner thigh and do crunches. I was perfectly worked after this, sweaty but not overly spent. My only complaint is the music was a low volume, and since it was a "live" workout (not when I did it) there was a lot of chatting with random people in the 'audience' but that's okay. She is more chatty than I would like (especially when she keeps talking to the random people) but she seems really authentic and down to earth, and like she is having a truly wonderful time. Then I did this extended stretch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnUnimxpWow) which I really liked too for a total 65 minute workout!

Two planned rest days tomorrow and Tuesday, but if the weather is nice I hope to get in some bonus walks.

Eventmom Lucy still seems like a hit and miss on her leg. She is favoring it sometimes so I'm still worried, but what else can I do but keep her resting? I got a joint supplement chew on amazon and I'm keeping up with the aspirin. Tomorrow I'll get their bloodwork results which will hopefully be fine.

Yes...the vet bills are seriously pricey!!

Buzzer waves! I hope your mini vacation was great!!
Old 03-21-22, 06:15 AM  
Buzzer

Cathe Xtrain Back, Chest and Shoulders... DONE!

I don't remember what I did before I left. It was a cardio, I think it was from the Strong and Sweaty series. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure it was because I wanted to try something from that series! So Wednesday morning, the cardio from Strong and sweaty... DONE!

We had a blast! I haven't spent that much time with my sister, my niece and nephew in forever, and it was so nice to get to know them again! LB only got to swim once. However we saw Mt Rushmore, LB played pool and ping pong in the dorm while the RA's were playing beer pong next to us (I don't think LB realized what was going on), we saw Ft. Robinson which was really cool! It's like a historical area with camping. So I want to go back in the summer when the museums are all open and LB can run around! The drive was beautiful and the company was fun. I loved it!

We definitely need to plan a trip to Mt Rushmore and all the stuff around in the surrounding area. So much to do there!

So we are home. I did chest, back and shoulders from the Xtrain series, and it was great! I wasn't really feeling the workout, I was kinda tired. So it wasn't fabulous, however where burn sets were 10 reps (what I did last week), these were all 16 reps. I went much lower than Cathe, partly because I was tired and not feeling it, partly because she was using 20's on her back rows and there's no way I could do that! Maybe in my prime Firm days, but not now. 15's it is. I do need to strengthen my back though.

I skipped the last set (there were like 8 sets of 3 exercises, so I skipped #8). It was a good workout though and didn't kill me.

Saturday I took an additional rest day because we got in about 8pm on Friday, then LB had Zoologist for a Day at the aquarium. While she was there, I got a flat tire. AAA helped me get to discount tire, since apparently my car doesn't have a spare but a "fix a flat" that the AAA guy said is expensive to replace if I use it, and doesn't really do anything but limp you to somewhere else. Then, the dealership charges you $3-500 to replace the fix a flat thing. Stupid. So he inflated it and followed me to discount tire. I have an all wheel drive with snow tires, and they didn't have a match for my tire. So I had to wait until they could get a tire delivered that would match close enough, and they told me not to drive too much until they can get the matching tire in (so it doesn't screw up the differential since it's all wheel drive). So that blew through all my time. Luckily a friend's Dad picked her up, because I ran late with that!

So my car is parked, and I am driving the new beast. We named it "Diego" and my pet name for it is "the school bus" because it's so big. I can only park it if I can pull through park it! Tuesday my new tire should be in and I can go back to my small car that I can park!

Yesterday LB had a spring party to attend, then she went swimming with her friend. So she should be BEAT. Today we are meeting another friend for roller skating. Spring Break has started! HA!

The snowstorm that was supposed to dump up to 17" of snow here has fizzled out, and now we will get about 1-2". So we can be mobile through that.

Ebianco: Wow. Your poor little doggie!! Wow. What are the chances she falls twice?? I'm glad she's feeling better, hopefully there's no surgery. We got pet insurance after Otis' broken leg, so the surgeries since then aren't as painful. We'd be broke if we had to pay for them all! Isolation with the dogs is so hard, especially when you have to keep them apart. It's hard with two, I'm sure it is especially hard with more! They can't stand being in a room without their pack leader! Hopefully it's for just a short time!

I hope your weather is nice now! I would love some spring rain. I never used to worry about fire danger, but these last few years it has been a concern for sure. I am always watching to see if we get consistent moisture!

Eventmom; I forgot about TA being pregnant and not able to do her workouts! Man, that's a trip down memory lane. I wonder how old her kids are now? Also what is she up to? I used to know her life like a book, but we just haven't heard much about her lately. Which is good, because it was getting crazy with the speculations and assumptions about her. Give the woman some peace! HA!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-22, 01:26 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - KS project you lower body + power push cardio
today - KS project you circuit - she does the same exercises as in the focused weight workouts, but fewer reps. The cardio bursts used the same combos as her focused cardio so nothing to learn. The cardio bursts are pretty short - which I like.

ebianco - thanks for starting the new thread. CD has some great workouts but I found her cardio too much impact and haven't done too many of her workouts. Sorry the pup is still favoring her leg. Hopefully the bloodwork results were good.

buzzer - sounds like a fun trip! yeah TA is bigger than ever I guess. Her streaming is like $95/month and people pay extra to get other things (not sure what exactly) she has magazine, clothes, etc etc. but I did just use a recipe she posted somewhere that was pretty good LOL. She did a couple of good free youtube workouts, and I like her dvds but I'll pass on $95/month for streaming - but some people love her workouts, and her and all things TA.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-22, 05:50 AM  
Buzzer

Cathe Low max... DONE!

I was going to do a different cardio, but read about low max, I have it and did it once without a step, so I decided to do it again. This time, WITH a step! It was pretty OK. I didn't hate it. I didn't get all the steps, and did some of them on the floor instead so I don't break myself. It was good! There was one combination I just said "no way!" and stuck to her starter moves. Other than that, I made it! It was good though. I don't think I will grow to love step again (much like kickboxing), however I can see doing this workout on the floor or again on the step. Some leg strengthening moves, however I didn't go as low as her or as hard as her on them since I think today's workout has some leg work in it. I wanted to save my strength for that!

Yesterday we ended up with next to no snow. Maybe 2-3" at best. the storm completely missed us. Which part of me is "aw man! I wanted a big snow!" another part of me is happy because we need to get our roof done and the concrete poured, and a lot of snow would have delayed both of those for quite a while. LB and I made it down at noon for roller skating, and she had a blast. I got to catch up with my friend who I only see once or twice a year now, so it worked out for both of us!

Today I should get my tire, so I will get my little car back! No only more fuel efficient, but also I can park it! I had LB stand outside and tell me when I was in the parking space yesterday. I can't tell and end up not all the way in! She's a trooper. She also loves helping me back the beast up because I have a hard time backing up, even in my little car. She gets in, goes to the back and gives me directions "keep backing up! Keep going! Slower.... slower... OK! STOP!!!" HA! She's great.

Eventmom: WOW. I guess since I don't hear about her on VF, I just thought she wasn't as popular! $95 a month???? What the heck! That's insane. I can't believe people pay that PLUS additional. Some of the streaming sites people complain about on VF look like a bargain compared to that! Wow. However, I guess if she can get people to pay that, good for her! There's no way here though!

Ebianco: I hope the bloodwork results were good! Also that Lucy stops favoring her leg. Dogs have a way of making you think you are going crazy with their injuries!! So are you hurt? or not? Do you just want sympathy? What is going on!!!???? Ugh. Hopefully things are going better now and you are figuring it out! Silly doggos!!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 03-22-22, 10:29 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

today - yoga in the garden of serenity

buzzer - streaming prices can get crazy but I guess if you workout every day and compare what some in person places charge but it's not on my list! hope you get your car back! Parking a tank is no fun.

hi ebianco !
Old 03-23-22, 05:54 AM  
Buzzer

Cathe Super Sets from Xtrain... DONE!!

This was fun! Lots of leg work though, and it was all cardio. Cathe used 5 and 8 pound weights, so I did too. It was good. I didn't go as low as her, and paused a lot too. However I did it and it was good! I was reading reviews beforehand, and people were saying it's not a hard Cathe and it was OK... I was thinking of those reviews, and wondering, am I that out of shape!!?? HA! Not too hard. I'm glad I'm doing the not too hard Cathe's!

My legs were feeling it last night. Kinda sore, but more tired than sore. So today is supposed to be "hard strikes", however that is one of the DVDs I'm missing. So I am going to do Shock Cardio boxing, that way my legs get a bit of a break too! They are letting me know I am doing more than I am used to!

Yesterday we got quite a bit of school done! We also did karate and then spent the rest of the evening at urban air with a friend. it was a good day, although I was exhausted! I ate dinner way too late, right before bed, so I didn't sleep well. I didn't even eat that much, but it was apparently enough to kill my night. We don't have a lot planned for today, so hopefully a nap can be on my schedule!

Eventmom: I keep remembering when I workout that you had asked if I have tried a strength only rotation. I have! I did nothing but STS for a long time. I cut out all cardio. Still nothing, but I did get stronger. So there's that! I also did a long time of only things like Callanetics and barre workouts. Still didn't lose anything. I am eating better than I ever have in my life... still nothing. I was just talking to a friend last night, and she was telling me about some friends she has been talking to who are running into the same thing. All these healthy changes and no "results". I told her I think it's just our age Hopefully we all can find some results soon! ugh.

I do admit that I will see someone my age who is looking great, and I think, what the heck? I was the personal trainer, group fitness instructor for years, and I still workout EVERY ding dong day. I watch what I eat. yet, I am the chubby girl! What the heck??? You can't even tell on me!! And when I talk to some of these people, they tell me how they wish they could workout but they can't because (insert reason here). I feel like I have a fat suit on, and I am the one doing things (mostly) right. It's really demotivating. If I didn't like to workout and didn't like how healthy eating makes me feel, I'd give up. I seriously would.

Hi Ebianco! I hope your doggies are feeling better!!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 03-23-22, 11:34 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

back to TA level 7 day 1 + 18 min Gina B walking workout.

buzzer - I'm so out of it on Cathe workouts I didn't realize STS was pure strength - I was wondering if it helped your sleep but I guess not or you'd still be doing it! I'm with you on when I see people my age who are lean. I workout consistently, watch what I eat (but can't just eat veggies) and I'm pretty fluffy. it's frustrating. It's very difficult, like what's the secret that all these other people know?

hi ebianco!
Old 03-23-22, 02:32 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

I started my workout week today with Caroline EPIC 3 upper body (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwYq...4uVpN&index=18). She focuses on tempo changes and opposing muscle groups in this one and I really enjoyed it! The time went by really fast on this one. I was working hard but constantly switching to opposing muscle groups seemed to keep any boredom at bay. My 17.5# have been getting too light for chest work so I adjusted up to 20# and I'm feeling it now, but in a good way!

Tomorrow is EPIC Heat legs and then ?? on Friday. I'm going a little off script with my rotation because I think I need easier workouts for Friday. A Pink Firm probably? Or something easier maybe Firm Volume 4?

Then Dream Body on Saturday, I believe it's the original Fusion this time with Brooke. I can't believe I'm on week 9 of my current 12 week rotation already!

Eventmom and Buzzer Lucy isn't improving, I guess she hasn't gotten any worse but I'm killing myself with worry. I kind of nudged her leg and felt/heard it click with just a light touch I am thinking maybe just a consult with the orthopedic to see if there's non surgery things we can try first. Like a brace, special medicine, would light exercise help, anything? If it were a person they would want to exhaust all options before surgery. So I don't know.

Some streaming prices do seem really outrageous. I understand up to maybe $30 per month but some of these places are $75 or more (like TA). Pure Barre used to be about $30 per month but I think that's gone way up too. I guess compared to an in person studio price, but it still seems really crazy when you think about all the high quality free workouts on youtube. I just still don't see myself ever paying for streaming when there's DVDs and youtube available.

Buzzer welcome back! It sounded like a wonderful trip with your sister and kids!

I'm more of a small car person myself so I know driving a big car is just overwhelming! I hope you got your regular car back!

It was actually Lucy that fell initially, then Tiffany that fell at the vet so I had both dogs limping for a period of time, although Tiffany seems totally fine now, it's just Lucy I am worried about now. It's probably a good thing that Lucy didn't fall twice and hurt her kneecap even more for sure!
Old 03-24-22, 05:10 AM  
Buzzer

Shock Cardio Boxing... DONE!

I like this workout. It's a sweaty workout, and not too much legs. My legs were tired, but surprisingly not sore. The combos were easier, so I didn't feel like I had to think way too much and try not to hurt myself. It was really good for where I was yesterday! The abs were OK, not great. On my rotation I was supposed to do "core #2", however since there were abs tacked onto the end of the workout, I just did those. About 35 minutes of cardio, and 7 minutes-ish of abs. Good workout!

Today is Biceps and Triceps, which I am looking forward to a complete leg break. I am liking the rotation. Hopefully it doesn't pile weight on me! Ugh. I hate not knowing whether it will or not. I can't tell if I'm bloated or gaining, but I am noticing my pants feel tighter. I'm hoping it's just bloating from some bad choices over the last few days, plus the lack of sleep. One more night of not good sleep again last night. I don't know why!! I was sleeping pretty good there for a while, now I am back to waking up at 2:45/3am. I took some NyQuil to try to force myself to sleep, however it did nothing. I am still awake.

Yesterday I was hoping my workout would help me take a nap... nope. I felt kinda low energy during some of the day, but that was about it. LB and I did a science course on magnetism, and it was amazing! In one experiment, we put just a few pieces of cereal, maybe 10-15 (we used a square shape, she recommends a round like cheerios) in a bowl of water. Then, you move a piece with a toothpick or unbent paperclip, close to another. Not too close... but they move TOWARD each other on their own!! I can't believe I have eaten cereal all my life and never noticed this. Or I probably did but wrote it off to something else. But the pieces seriously move towards each other, and go faster as they move! It's so cool. So we played with that forever. Then I put in a history audiobook, and LB made a little city out of paper, clay and straws she cut up. part of our study was also on making paper stronger, so she was using what she learned to make a little town. Still no nap for me!!

I finally got my tires yesterday and have my little car back!! They were supposed to be in on Tuesday, however fedex "delayed" them, so they came in yesterday and I was all over getting it done. I agree with you guys, the big cars are a lot harder to drive than my little one!! Plus I have noticed people aren't as friendly to big cars as little ones. They don't let you over, they try to race you instead. Which is stupid. People are stupid though, so there's that.

Eventmom: YES! What, is there a secret I've been left out of?? Is there a magic pill that everyone knows about but me? What is this all about? Plus, I have a friend who loves cardio, and she doesn't gain weight doing it! I am trying to drink more water, avoid snacks, avoid food I know is bad for me... you can't tell me everyone is healthier and that's just how it is. So frustrating.

STS is pure strength. Although, I did add in some Leslie walks when I did it. Just for the off days since I can't lift every day. Maybe I should try STS and get rid of the walks. I also did an experiment of just yoga. That lasted, I think, 3 weeks-ish. nada. Just frustrated.

Ebianco: oh! My mistake. I thought Lucy fell twice! That's awful! I'm glad Tiffany is doing better though. So I was thinking, my friend told me about a physical therapist for dogs that lives near her. Maybe that could be an option. Human physical therapists are pretty good at figuring out what they can treat and can't, I bet a pet one is too. Will she let you touch her hip or knee where it's clicking?

I agree on streaming prices. I was looking at Cathe streaming since I am getting some of her DVD's, and I was thinking I could buy a DVD a month instead and still be ahead! Granted I wouldn't have access to alllllll that content, but I don't need it anyhow. Paralysis by analysis is what I do with that many options. Plus, I can't guarantee I will stick with an instructor that long, and what if I want to throw in a Firm or something? Then I have to pay for that streaming too. I'd rather stick to DVD's as long as I can.
JNL DONE! 5/12/14