Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-12, 02:15 PM  
happytraveler

Does it exist? Strength training circuit w/o tons of squats?

Hi all! I would like to focus on more strength training in my rotation, I know it is the missing piece of my puzzle I am a shorty and know for sure from experience that lots of squats and lunges do not do my body good. I am a Jazzercise instructor and average 14 classes a month so I am already getting plies, lunges and squats mixed in with my cardio.

I have completed a TA bootcamp twice in the last year and a half with great results, it just really messes me up. I have two chronic injuries as a result of doing them
I am open to picking out pieces of TA that I like and doing that but I am CRAVING a good sweaty, burning, metabolic stimulating strength workout! But at the same time I don't want to look boxy. I am 4'11 so I can look boxy pretty quick.

Just started working with my nutritionist so the D-word will not be a problem. I am about 20%BF/ 110lbs so I am not overweight, just trying to reach the next level. Right now I am leaning toward NMTZ 3xs a week while avoiding all the squaty parts but then I saw reviews for the A.R.T Method and Tonique Sculpting and Essentrics and now I am crazed! Do you all have any suggestions for me??? Please?
happytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 02:26 PM  
Belle de Jour

Tonique is almost all squats and lunges. And a lot of high impact.

Essentrics is what I use, and I'm very prone to bulking in the legs, particularly the quads. Essentrics (which is another version of Classical Stretch) does not use lunges or squats in the traditional sense. There are plies, but they are almost static, or more similar to barre. It's all designed to lean out the muscle. There's a lot of floor work designed to "slenderize" the inner/outer thighs. You can find some previews and short workouts on youtube.
Belle de Jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 02:53 PM  
happytraveler

Thanks, Honeysuckle. I love Essentrics. It does have a tiny bit of dread factor for me but I always feel awesome afterwards. My body really craves that type of movement.

After reading through the threads I am leaning toward TA Glutecentric Meta with Essentrics thrown on top to keep me all stretched out. I am going to have to make sure that if I feel my body becoming tweaked I take a break. I don't want another injury.
Old 06-02-12, 03:01 PM  
BarbK
VF Supporter

Michelle Dozois Your Best Body Breakthru is an older (2007) circuit workout (can go heavy - I did the workout A LOT and got up to 12s for the light and 15s/20s for the heavy). It only has 1 chapter devoted to legs at all. In that chapter, it started with squats, then lunges front and back same leg, then band work; it ends with core and a good stretch. It would be easy to skip the leg chapter completely.

It comes with a really good resistance band and uses the band and dumbbells for the strength parts.

The cardio is low intermediate but a good break when pushing with the weights.
BarbK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 03:02 PM  
happytraveler

Thank you Barb! I am going to go check that Video out right now.
Old 06-02-12, 03:06 PM  
Belle de Jour

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytraveler View Post
Thanks, Honeysuckle. I love Essentrics. It does have a tiny bit of dread factor for me but I always feel awesome afterwards. My body really craves that type of movement.

After reading through the threads I am leaning toward TA Glutecentric Meta with Essentrics thrown on top to keep me all stretched out. I am going to have to make sure that if I feel my body becoming tweaked I take a break. I don't want another injury.
I hope it works for you!

I'm not too familiar with TA, but I do know there are quite a few who combine her workouts with CS/Essentrics.

The new Essentrics might interest you--they seem to be more balanced and stretchy than the first (from what I've read--I don't have them yet).
Belle de Jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 11:21 PM  
lotusgirl

This article on different types of barre classes, some of which have dvds, might help: http://www.self.com/fitness/blogs/fr...sses-7-lo.html

I'm short, too, and my quads bulk easily. I tried CrossFit for two weeks last year and didn't want the look that the women got - huge quads.

I've been intrigued by why so many people on this site had results with barre and fusion, so I spent time tonight reading up on why ballet type moves build muscle but don't bulk. From what I read, it seems that the focus is on the inner thigh, glutes and hamstring muscles w/ no work done on the quads. However, like you, I want something with weights. Most of the classes mentioned in the article include light weights.

I'm moving in this direction after doing some pilates with light weights and was amazed that even two-pound dumbbells could strengthen and define.

I'm 47 and have had multiple injuries, some leaving chronic pain, so I am all about working out safely and being injury free.
Old 06-03-12, 06:53 AM  
dancer

lotusgirl - Could you share which "pilates with light weights" workouts you used? I am interested in this, too.

Thanks
dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-12, 08:51 AM  
lotusgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancer View Post
lotusgirl - Could you share which "pilates with light weights" workouts you used? I am interested in this, too.

Thanks
I'm still new to it, but through Netflix streaming, I found Ellen Barrett and Lara Hudson. I liked Ellen Barret's Burn and Firm Pilates, which isn't all pilates, from what I've read. I also liked Lara Hudson in the 10 Minute Solutions Rapid Results Pilates and 10 MS Pilates, and was so surprised by how much it helped my back. I could also tell it helped in my torso and arms the next day or two,which also surprised me. The demeanor of both these women is encouraging and pleasant, which is another reason why I liked them.

I love the 10 Minute Solution concepts for those days where I'm like, "I don't have 10 minutes in me, but I'll give it a shot." I'll start with a full body segment and then end up doing more. The 10MS series has several pilates with light weights and bands,

I prefer Ellen programs with weights over her nonweight programs because I feel like I'm getting a better workout.

I know some people have talked about Margaret Richards here, but I'm not familiar with her work. I know she uses weights, but I don't know if she incorporates pilates. However, yesterday I met a woman who is 60 and looks great. She said she used to do the Body Electric program on PBS and spoke highly of her. This woman never exercised until she was 40 and she's not even 5'. I thought she was in her late 40s or 50s.

Also, Sara Ivanhoe has a yoga series with light weights. I like her, and I like them, but I don't feel like I'm getting as much of a weight workout as I do with Ellen or the 10MS series. I think it's because your core isn't engaged as much as it is through pilates.

From things I read last night, it seems that these exercises where you are holding your core tight and making it work in unison with other parts of your body, or all of your body, is one of the reasons why ballet dancers get such a long, lean and strong physique. Isn't is Mari Winsor who made that phrase "your powerhouse" famous?

I don't have it, but Gaiam TV has a streaming service with tons of yoga and pilates from what I've read. I don't know if any of there programs offer pilates with weights, but they do have Mari Winsor on there.
Old 06-03-12, 12:04 PM  
dancer

Thanks lotusgirl!

I have 10 Minute Soultion Pilates on the Ball with Lara, and I like it and her, so will look for the one you mentioned. Off to check out Ellen's Burn and Firm, I have FBF and BC, but none of hers that use weights.

Thanks again
dancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circuit workouts, no squats