Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-21, 12:40 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
You can't trade or sell streaming (as far as I know). You can't lend streaming to a curious VFer. You can't put streaming up in the Wish List, Request the Wealth or Share the Wealth threads.

Most streaming sites offer a free trial so the curious can try it out. It's true that we can't trade dvds, but the flip side of that is that dvds do degrade and can be damaged. I remember the last time I rented a movie from Redbox that my daughter and I couldn't view because it was so scratched.

DVDs require storage and care.

Many of us remember waiting for new workouts to be produced and physically mailed to us. With streaming, we cut out the "middle man" and the wait; we get new workouts much more often.

Pros and cons with everything. I'll admit I didn't love streaming when it first came out. Technology advances though and for me anyway, the pros of streaming outweigh the pros of dvds.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-21, 01:01 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Most streaming sites offer a free trial so the curious can try it out. It's true that we can't trade dvds, but the flip side of that is that dvds do degrade and can be damaged. I remember the last time I rented a movie from Redbox that my daughter and I couldn't view because it was so scratched.

DVDs require storage and care.

Many of us remember waiting for new workouts to be produced and physically mailed to us. With streaming, we cut out the "middle man" and the wait; we get new workouts much more often.

Pros and cons with everything. I'll admit I didn't love streaming when it first came out. Technology advances though and for me anyway, the pros of streaming outweigh the pros of dvds.
It's true that some DVDs degrade with time. Especially the DVD-Rs. My old Slim In 6 DVDs have started to skip and glitch. Many of my favorites I have converted to mp4s, so that will save them.

I'm a film buff and have many movie DVDs as well. I take good care of them. I've gotten a few loaners or trades that look like they have been run over by a tractor.

I'm sure I would do more streaming if my internet wasn't lousy!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-21, 01:07 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I am spoiled with the overwhelming number of great step workouts that are regularly uploaded to YouTube. 'Back in the day', I would get a small number of step workouts per year on DVD. Now, I cannot keep up with all the ones I want to try.

Plus, shipping to Canada is becoming extraordinarily high, so I can't see myself ever buying another DVD again. Downloading, yes, but not buying a physical product. If I could successfully convert my favourite DVDs and VHS tapes to a digital format, I would gladly do away with my physical copies.

I compare it to music. I used to buy maybe 5-6 new CDs a year. Now, for a monthly fee, I have access to virtually any song ever recorded. I have absolutely no regrets that I do not own the music I listen to. (Besides, when I think back to some of the CDs I once owned - yikes!)

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-21, 03:29 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula N View Post
I compare it to music. I used to buy maybe 5-6 new CDs a year. Now, for a monthly fee, I have access to virtually any song ever recorded. I have absolutely no regrets that I do not own the music I listen to. (Besides, when I think back to some of the CDs I once owned - yikes!)
I admit that even though I don't like to stream workouts too much, streaming music makes my audiophile heart so happy. I used to buy CDs (and cassettes before that) like mad, and then when iTunes came out, I spent tons on individual songs and albums that I could own digitally. Now I have only a Spotify subscription, and between that and YouTube, I honestly can't remember the last time I actually bought an individual album. Some artists I love I splurge on a collectible vinyl, but that's really it.
Old 06-12-21, 02:25 AM  
Cybersparkle

Hey guys, I see so many threads about dvd players & what will happen for vidiots who still use dvds.

Does anyone use a USB mini dvd player on their laptop or desktop?

I still use dvds and since 2013 (costs $32 after tax), use an older version of this

External CD Drive USB 3.0 Portable CD DVD +/-RW Drive DVD/CD ROM Rewriter Burner Writer Compatible with Laptop Desktop PC Windows Mac Pro MacBook
by Rioddas-Ziroo
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLRG9VH...ing=UTF8&psc=1

It's so much easier, smaller to connect and operate. Just plug it in once. So affordable too! Less than 30 bucks.

Your computer's media player will play it but I like VLC player.

Easy peasy, now you can have your dvds forever and ever and ever !

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 02:45 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersparkle View Post
External CD Drive USB 3.0 Portable CD DVD +/-RW Drive DVD/CD ROM Rewriter Burner Writer Compatible with Laptop Desktop PC Windows Mac Pro MacBook

Thank you so much for this. I'm pretty sure that my techy husband got something like this for me. I don't really know what mine is. I'm adding the one that you linked, along with your helpful post, to my wish list. I often make notes in the "comments" part of my amazon wish list.
Old 06-12-21, 02:58 AM  
Cybersparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
Thank you so much for this. I'm pretty sure that my techy husband got something like this for me. I don't really know what mine is. I'm adding the one that you linked, along with your helpful post, to my wish list. I often make notes in the "comments" part of my amazon wish list.
Yayy!!

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 10:54 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C2AMK2M/
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 03:14 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersparkle View Post
Hey guys, I see so many threads about dvd players & what will happen for vidiots who still use dvds.

Does anyone use a USB mini dvd player on their laptop or desktop?

I still use dvds and since 2013 (costs $32 after tax), use an older version of this

by Rioddas-Ziroo
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLRG9VH...ing=UTF8&psc=1

It's so much easier, smaller to connect and operate. Just plug it in once. So affordable too! Less than 30 bucks.

Your computer's media player will play it but I like VLC player.

THIS is why I love this forum. Added to my cart!

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 03:35 PM  
katmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
Can this drive be used to copy DVD’s to either a hard drive, jump drive, or cloud drive?

My internet provider is typically reliable, but I awakened the other morning ready for my morning workout before logging on for work. Internet was down for maintenance and estimated to be back up by 6am which was when I needed to be logged on for work. I ended up using 3 different DVD’s to take the place of my scheduled streaming workout.

Tags
backup dvds, copy dvds, dvd software for laptop, dvds versus streaming, ripping dvds, streaming vs dvds