Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-14-12, 04:54 AM  
PeakFitness

I find Jillian has too much impact - jumping jacks to start the warm up is kind of bone jarring, for me. And if you get her Biggest Winner set, there is jumping on the step. I'm no help really, I don't know what to suggest.
Old 04-14-12, 05:44 AM  
Tugger31

I'd also recommend Bob Harper's Pure Burn Super Strength! I have knee issues and modified one or two cardio moves but no knee/joint problems for me with this one. The only problem I had was a lack of oxygen while he was kicking my butt!!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-12, 06:38 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I agree that Bob Harper's workouts are tough. And Katami does show lower impact moves before he takes it up a notch, although I don't recall any of his being very high impact. I think the one that has the lowest impact for the intensity is Burn and Build, but Hollywood Hardball and Bootcamp 4X4 are also intense.

Tracey Staehle's newest ones are also pretty tough. There is a tabata (or finisher, can't remember which) that has high jogs and there are some squat jumps but you can always just squat on those if you don't want to jump at all and you don't have to do the tabatas or finishers to do the main workout.
Old 04-14-12, 06:55 AM  
zippity

Great suggestions, thanks!

I also like Jackie Warner's Extreme Time Saver Workout...it's got compound moves and uses light weights for added intensity. Great, short, efficient workout!

Patrick Goudeau's Extreme Calorie Burn is also very good, although it's long and doesn't have any premixes to shorten or mix-up the workout.
zippity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-12, 11:48 AM  
neatski

+1 on Paul Katami's Hollywood Bootcamp- still one of the best workouts I've ever done.

Also, check out Cathe's Bootcamp. I still love that one. It's fast-paced and has plenty of variety.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 08:05 AM  
TinaS

Pure Burn Super Strength

Thanks for all suggestions! I did Pure Burn Strength yesterday. Wow! Really tough and definately advanced!! I'm adding this one to my current rotation. Looking forward to checking out more of Bob's workouts!
TinaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 08:24 AM  
dela

The Peak 10 dvds by Michelle Dozois that you can buy separate from the full set are very good, you would have to modify some of the peak moves to reduce the jumping during those. There are 4 of these dvds, Cardio Burn and Cardio Strength were the first two, and the next two are just "More" Cardio Burn and "More" Cardio Strength.

I prefer the Cardio Burn over the strength. I really want to get the More Cardio Burn, it looks great, but I have too much to get through right now.

If you like the idea of the whole Tapout thing, I am really liking my Tapout workouts, and most of those so far are pretty tough, except the upper body focus dvd is not as challenging as the others. There are LOTS of pushup varieties in there, I thought I would be annoyed by that, but somehow in these dvds I am not.

For really good paper circuits, the circuit workouts in Jillian Michaels "Hot Bod in a Box" (terrible title IMO), are turning out to be great, I have started doing those in a gym with a friend of mine. Funny thing, over the years I have done great with Jillian paper workouts, but just can't click with her dvds.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 08:44 AM  
lila_says

Mike Donavanik's Extreme Burn is quite good too
lila_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 08:57 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Paul Katami's Burn and Build. You will hock up a lung.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 09:38 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I love Pauls Hollywood Bootcamp 4x4! There's a little impact but honestly it's not that bad and could be modified. Burn and Build is great too but there is some impact in the warm up. The warm up is actually harder than some of the blocks! That's really the only complaint I have about Burn and Build is the warm up, it should gradually build the intensity instead of plowing right in imho. I also think Bob's Cardio Rev Conditioning is good.

What about Jari Love? I like her Get Extremely Ripped 1000 and GER 100 Hardcore. I know a lot of people don't like her form with weights though and honestly I prefer to do her cardio only premixes but if you can ignore any problems with her form I think those two are good also.

Tags
advanced circuits, advanced workouts, circuit, circuit workouts