Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-12, 06:06 PM  
goldillocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
So what are the type of workouts Zuzana does classified as? Say you set your Gymboss for 12 rounds of 50 seconds work, 10 seconds rest. You do 12 different exercises all out for the 50 seconds (pushups, pullups, squat jumps, lunges, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, etc.). It's a combination of strength exercises with cardio. Or something like 30 Day Shred?
I think Zuzana's and Jillian's workouts are classed as "aerobic circuit training"
goldillocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 06:34 PM  
Helen

This is how I interpret them:
Circuit Training = a series of exercises, done in a row with 1 to 4 rounds of the list. each exercise is done for 1-3 minutes, roughly.
Usually it's interpreted to be alternating cardio & weights exercises, which can be referred to as Aerobic Circuit Training. Weight training can be done as circuits, so that a list of only weights exercises are performed as a circuit.
examples:
[15 Squats, 15 Jacks, 15 Bicep Curls, ...] Complete 3 rounds of the circuit.
that could be called Aerobic Circuit Training
[15 squats, 15 biceps curls, 15 shoulder presses, ....] complete 3 rounds.
that could be called a Weights Circuit
You might get a heavy weights circuit with 30s rest between exercises but 2min rest between each whole round.

Interval Training can be a circuit, but is usually interpreted to be just a list of cardio exercises, alternating between higher & lower intensities. Each interval being maybe up to 3min. The Couch-5k programme is interval training.
example:
[2min walk, 2min run] Complete 6 rounds.

High Intensity Interval Training could alternate cardio & weighs, but the cardio is definitely brief intervals (30-90s) of high intensity, which is why the intervals are shorter.
example:
[30s air jacks, 60s light jog on spot, 30s plyo jacks, 60s sumo squats...]
[30s air jacks, 20 bicep curls, 30s plyo jacks, 20 shoulder presses, ...]

Usually weight training is more than one set of an exercise, with breaks between, before moving onto the next exercise. Short pauses between sets, longer pause before moving to next exercise.

A set is just one exercise done for a specified number of repetitions.
example:
3 sets of 12 bicep curls, 30s rest between sets, THEN 3 sets of 12 shoulder presses, 30s rest between sets, THEN 3 sets of .....

A superset, is more than one exercise per set done with no break, then do the 2 or 3 exercises for the next set, until 2 or 3 'supersets' are completed before moving onto the next superset. A Triset, is a superset with 3 exercises in it.
examples:
3 sets of [12 bicep curls, straight into 12 shoulder presses], 30s rest between sets.
3 sets of [bicep curls, shoulder presses, squats], 30s rest between sets.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 10:25 PM  
boukilisa

Thanks for all the great answers!
boukilisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 08:06 PM  
Barbara P
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Like "eating clean" or "boot camp" or "results", those phrases mean whatever the person saying it want them to mean.

I think of circuit training as going in a circuit - a circle - around a set of exercise stations or machines more than once. But a lot of "circuit" workouts on DVD only go around once.

"AWT" was only used by the Firm, I think.
When I worked at the insurance company, we had a wonderful fitness center, and for a while we had a circuit training class. Depending on how many people showed up, there might be 12 stations (for example) alternating cardio & weights or strength....all different kinds. It would be set up in a big circle in the cardio room and we would move from station to station. We had one of those old slides with booties, a step, jump rope, medicine ball (2 people at each station), traditional weights like biceps, abs, etc. and they would alternate, 1 minute each station. It was a great class! I think the instructor had index cards with an exercise on it, one pile for weights or strength and the other cardio, and would mix it up so it wasn't the same every time. Brilliant.

Interval is like Cathe's HiiT workouts http://shop.cathe.com/high_intensity..._DVD_p/767.htm short bursts of cardio followed by a recovery. Chalene's Turbo Fire has intervals and Firms do also.

Tags
circuit training, interval training