Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-01-22, 09:17 PM  
Helen

Every Day in AUGUST - any-/every- one welcome! :D

THEME: Persistently aiming for higher consistency.

Welcome to the Every Day Checkin!
We are a small group who aim to do some form of physical activity every day, whatever that means for YOU (but don't kid yourself about it either)

Patterns of behaviour, consistency, where you regularly attend... these show who you are & drive who you become.

NEWCOMERS, RETURNERS, LURKERS,... might as well say:
EVERYONE
is WELCOME!

Daily posts - not mandatory, nor even "sternly preferred" - but we love it if you do.
Weekly posts, drive-by notes, daily essays all about you.... any of those are perfectly fine - no pressure, EXCEPT to diligently try to add serious movement to your day - every day.

Lexicon:
WERD = Well Earned Rest Day, but even rest days can include movement
TERD = Totally Expected Rest Day, though not especially well-earned, like a planned happy event
TURD = Totally Unexpected Rest Day, hopefully also a happy event
HERD = of TURDS - usually declared after the THIRD TURD in a row. Try to avoid these at all costs, as they can move in & get comfortable, getting OUT of your comfort zone is the way to make change happen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-22, 04:36 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Need my arrow

Helen: I was going to send you a message! I was a bit concerned. . . (and was thinking on ways to copy the 2021 header for August! never went back to look and see if you did that. Cuz Whew! you made the August Thread.) For that? I THANK YOU ........

Waves to all.

Consistency. That's a great word. I am working on journaling, doing a Commit30 calendar (It's the journal - still practicing). Trying the "75 Easy" ~ need to beat my last record. (16 days) LOL! But I have time to get it together before the end of the year and this check in is a big part of it. So here I am.

Anyway, obviously have had my coffee and it's time to check in:

8/1/2022: 20 mins. Bootcamp (tread/legs) with Jess Sims. a.m. PM: walk at the park after work for Pokemon Go (20 mins. It counts!)

The bootcamp was split: 10 mins. tread and then move the floor for leg work for 10 mins. Interesting. I'm used to the longer ones where it's tread/floor/tread or tread/floor/tread/floor. But it was only 20 mins, so I suppose this format works. After doing barre the day before and then this ~ I was feeling it. (in a good way of course) and the only way to keep the DOMs at bay is to continue with my consistency! (Obviously going to try and use "consistency" in every post this month!)

And there you have it.
off to do some sort of workout. Need to reach my weekly/monthly goals.

Waves to all!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-22, 01:07 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Helen - Thank you for the great start! Wonderful motivation for an awesome month!
Waves to Cleda and Vantreesta! I need to know more about your Halloween display. I love Halloween!

8/1 - Jessica Smith's Total Body Abs Transformer from 10 Pounds Down, 28 min.
GHU's Gold Beginner Interval Walk 2, which seemed pretty intense for beginner. 34 min.
Some gardening after dinner until the mosquito's chased me inside.
8/2 - Run day. My Fitbit died on the run, but I turned around at 1.51 miles, so a solid 3 miles, slow but steady.
Hoping to walk the dogs later and also a little gardening.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-22, 05:38 PM  
Helen

Well, I didn't start too well. Monday the 1st, would usually give me a solid start, but it was parent/teacher night at school - meeting with 21 sets of strangers to talk about their beloved children and how little homework they do. Hard work, not home until 7:30 - had a GIN!

Tuesday, came home to find DH in pain - he'd used an old milk crate as a step stool in the garage and his foot went right through the top & he fell hard on his hip and his lower spine has been in pain ever since - moving, but slowly. That left me to attend to him for the evening. Also felt it would be a bit cruel to do a workout, showing my ability to move; though (just quietly) when I was placing my feet carefully on coastal rocks a few weeks ago to avoid slipping sideways & risk twisting my knee & he said "Well I guess your bushwalking days are over." which did NOT go down well- as I can do 180 long hop-turns across the step - I almost wanted to rub it in a bit how mobile I AM!
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 08-04-22, 07:27 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Helen - Hope hubby recovers quickly! Dealing with the parents is a job unto itself! Glad you made it out alive. Just 1 gin?

8/3 - Long hike in the state park with my old co-worker.
No dog walk, it was just too hot and Baxter does not handle the heat well at all.

Old 08-04-22, 12:26 PM  
Vantreesta

Workouts have been:
Monday -toe yoga, thoracic mobility, PT, wobble board drills & foot exercises, 3 dog walks

Tuesday-toe yoga, weeds, thoracic mobility, short Leslie walk, CLX Burn Circuit 3, 2 different stretch videos, PT stretches, only 2 dog walks bc heat index was over 100

Wednesday-toe yoga, evening run, 3 dog walks
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-22, 05:53 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Ooops ... !!! I did it again

Well, in my defense? The mid to end of week (when I'm off on Fridays), I burn out. So that's what happens. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. So here I am to check in. (since it's Sat. and I'm enjoying my morning cup of coffee with all my video friends!)

Lili: Must be something about the fitbits dieing that day! Mine did too. But It just needed a new battery (I'm using - still - the old Zip. Just does steps, but that's plenty for me). So does it actually count if our fitibits died? Much like if a tree falls in the woods and no one is there. Kidding. sort of. You really are enjoying GHU !!! Good for you.

Helen:
I hope your dh is feeling better. And you know/we know you are soooo mobile. But we must let men and their egos get a point every now and then. I think it's so important to work on mobility and balance as we age. Just because falls are so common. I think we ALL excel at that. (she says hopefully and with fingers crossed!)

Vantreesta: Yep! that heat is no good for the puppies. Smart of you (and Lili) to skip the walks. The dogs appreciated it (although they didn't think so!) Our heat has been pretty rough also.

On to my favorite subject: me, me me!!! (and was surprised to see I hadn't checked in since the 1st !)

8/2/2022: Row 20 mins + 5 mins. cool down row, 30 mins. Power Zone Sam Yo ride, 10 mins. CDE ride, 5 mins. Post ride stretch

8/3/2022: row 25 mins, Walked at the park 20 mins.

8/4/2022: Rest day !!!
(ooops - was going to do something after work, but was just too tired.)

8/5/2022: 2.5 hours of Pickleball, 10 mins. standing core (Peloton), 20 mins. Upper Body with Ben Alldis, 15 mins. climb ride with Bradley Rose, 20 mins. low impact ride with CDE and PRS

Surprisngly (or maybe not?) bonus from the standing core work is - my glutes are feeling it. Go figure. I liked it. I'm working on another badge, but it's not easy to find the right classes on the app, so Wed. I went through and bookmarked and wrote down the ones I thought I'd like. I have until the end of August (it was a ridiculous one like 60 days or something to get 30 classes. Maybe even 90 days) anyway, time is running out and I still need a bunch. So I figured I better make it convenient. Now that they are bookmarked, I can do a class or 2 a day. I'm not sure if I get credit if I do 2 classes, but most are 10-20 mins. long. My body thanks me. There is a whole section of standing ab classes. Which I much prefer, since they can't throw in planks, push ups and side planks!

I did the climb ride which was only 15 mins. I have decided that by doing Power Zone rides all the time - most other rides are pretty easy! There are still some tough ones, but pz has trained me well.

Sam Yo is new to the world of Power Zone training, so I wanted to do a ride of his (I tend to reach for the endurance rides. I get enough of the other rides during the challenges!) and It was good. I like Sam and I enjoy his choice of music. I think this one was Motown tunes.

Pickleball game was good again this week! I was testing out 2 different paddles that one of the gals brought. Different weights, different sizes, etc. I am also psyched that CBS will be running a pickleball tournament on the tv on 8/13 so I have tivo set up to record it.

Latest rumor on PeloBuddy was a picture of Alex Karwoski Olympic rower with other Peloton instructors. Could we be getting closer to a rower? and is he going to be an instructor?? Hmmmm. Worth mentioning: He is the YOUNGER brother of Nick Karwoski and Nick is a HYDROW instructor. Can you imagine the conversation at the Thanksgiving table if the whole Alex rowing thing comes to fruition at Peloton??? Would love to be a fly on that WALL!

Onward through August. one week down already.
Make it a great day!
Cleda
Old 08-06-22, 11:55 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Just a quick check-in before I get too far behind!

8/4 - dog walk and gardening
8/5 - dog walk and serious gardening (I can never keep up with the weeds!)
KCM's Cardio Sculpt Overdrive. I got this from the library and decided to try it. She does this w/o with a weighted vest on, so I didn't get quite the same workout, but it wasn't bad. No need to buy it! And no need to buy a weighted vest, thank goodness.

Busy day, will check back tomorrow with shout outs!

Old 08-06-22, 09:19 PM  
Helen

Wed 03. 55min, Cathe (chrono) - High Step Circuit + S-Ball Abs
Thu 04. 62min, Cathe (chrono) - Body Fusion - All Add-Ons Mix
Fri 05. 59min, Cathe (chrono) - High Step Training
Sat 06. 71min, Cathe (chrono) - Hardcore - Low Max

Also done two very long (2 hr) dog walks and shorter stints as well - we go every day as she doesn't like to poo at home.

Back on track, but High Step Circuit & Body Fusion have no dread
DH's back is still not good but he's feeling reluctant to go to a doctor as they're just a referral service, and so often in the past decade, everything that's gone wrong with either of us, had cost us a lot of money to be told we were doing the right thing on our own, and the hospital is a mine-field of potential C-19 positives unmasked in the corridors and waiting rooms. So... he's patiently sitting it out and letting himself heal/repair. If a month goes by, he'll be more likely to see if something is broken.

Weather - feels delightfully like spring is wanting to break through.

Dashing off as have to get an exam written TODAY, and it's exam-writing/marking season - the reason I've not been here the past week.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 08-07-22, 08:17 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Sunday (for us USAers!)

Helen: Good to see you. I hear you on the referral stuff and dealing with it. I so get that!!!! Time will tell! I hope it heals on it's own. How you do so much Cathe in a row is beyond me. I have a hard time just trying to read through it. (I think I may have burned out on Cathe many years ago!) But kudos to you for getting back on track and doing them.

Lili: Our garden is awful this year. We don't know if it's the deer, the bears, the groundhogs.... but something has gotten at it and the plants just have not thrived. Of course, dh is working on other projects so it hasn't been his only focus this spring/summer. I'll miss the tomatoes, that's for sure. (I hate gardening and playing in the dirt and any of that.)

Waves to Vantreesta and anyone else reading.

While I'm here:

8/6/2022: 60 mins. row (Breathe with Mac - it's endurance!), 20 mins. Dance glute & Legs with Ben, 30 mins. CDE New Wave Ride, 10 mins. Ben Alldis total body stretch

Right on schedule for my weekly goals! One more strength (to do today - possibly core?) and I'm golden. Got in my 3 rows and my bootcamp. Monday starts a new week.

Have a great day!
Cleda