Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-23, 06:58 PM  
nevertoolate

Wellen Program for Osteoporosis/Osteopenia

Has anyone heard of the Wellen Program? I tried to do a search here, but the search function isn't working for me. So forgive me if this has been mentioned already.

I'm 75 and fairly fit. I've had severe osteoporosis for years. I walk a lot, do some qi gong and mobility work, but I don't do strength training consistently like I should. I get off-track from injuries, illness (mild covid spell), and laziness. I find as I get older that I get de-conditioned so much faster than before and it's harder to get back to where I was. I saw an ad on Facebook for the Wellen Program. It's an online subscription program designed specifically for people over 50 with osteoporosis and osteopenia. I was intrigued. They sent me a sample workout, but it seemed slow and very bland, so I dismissed it. However, this ad kept popping up and when a Physical Therapist I admire on YouTube recommended the program, I decided to give it a second chance.

This program is personalized to you. It focuses on osteoporosis-friendly exercises (no forward flexion of the spine, for example) and covers strength, balance, and posture. They go through a detailed set of questions about your capabilities (what kind of pushup you can do, can you lie prone on the ground, etc.) and what kind of exercise equipment you have at home. Then they design a 12-week program specifically for you. It's set up for 3 30-minute workouts a week, but you can repeat any of the workouts if you want to do more. After 12 weeks, there's another assessment and you get a new program. I know it's not the only program of its kind, but it's very well put together and comprehensive. It also has some very nice touches I haven't seen in other video programs. I'm impressed.

Here's what I like:
I like having an osteoporosis program designed for my abilities and equipment. I like having a plan and knowing what I'm going to do each workout.
The set is bright and attractive. The camera angles are clear. The woman demonstrating the exercises is easy to see and follow.
At the top left of the screen is the number of the exercise (3 of 12, for example) and at the top right is a countdown timer (yay!).
The music has a cool feature: you can play a pop or instrumental track or no music at all. You can also adjust the sound so that voice or music is louder, or that they are "balanced." Nifty!
When you bring up your day's program, there's a Well Tip that goes over things like safety or how to get up and down from the floor.
The day's workout shows the time, equipment needed, and lists the exercises you're going to do. You can click on any of the exercises to get an explanation and video on how to do it.
The instruction is given by voice-over. The exercises are done slowly and with attention to form. The instruction is well-done. You're really encouraged to focus on the movement.
As you progress through the program, it tells you when you're done with the weights or the chair, etc., so you know you won't need them anymore.

What I don't like (well, I didn't at first):
It does move slowly, but actually I think I need that right now, so it's not a problem for me.
The woman doing the exercise doesn't engage with you. She is in her own zone, shows no personality and doesn't even have eye contact with you. This is part of what turned me off initially, especially after working out with Jessica Smith and Lee Holden, who always make me feel good. However, I think the benefits of the program far outweigh the subdued vibe, so I can live with this.
I was afraid it was too easy. They packed a lot into a 30-minute workout and didn't spend a lot of time on any one thing. However, after doing the first 3 workouts, I could feel the effects. There is a method to their system. Also, I'm 75 and no longer at my peak of conditioning. If you're 60 and can do full pushups and squats with 20 pounds, they're going to give you a harder program.

I'm really glad I signed up for this. I'm going to throw in some workouts from Jessica's AAP and Lee Holden's QiGong and keep walking. But this program is going to be my foundation for the next 12 weeks.

Cost: You can pay $19/month and get a free 7-day trial. Or it's $114/year (which works out to $9.50 per month) and get a free 14-day trial. I've paid more for a personal trainer and didn't get as much as this program offers. And right now there's a 40% off the annual membership for Black Friday with the code BLACK. This is what I signed up for. The site is getwellen.com. I have no affiliation with this company, other than being a satisfied (so far) customer.

Sorry this is so long. Hopefully it will be helpful to someone. Have a happy holiday season everyone!

Yours in fitness and health.

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-23, 07:19 PM  
Leonana

It sounds like a great program. The ability to adjust the volume of the music is something I wish I could do in many of my workouts!
Old 11-18-23, 08:37 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Thanks for that review. I tried it a while back, but couldn't get the videos to play and just cancelled my trial. I can see that if I could get it working, I would be interested in trying it again.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-24, 07:50 PM  
LAC

Nevertoolate, are you still using the Wellen program? It looks interesting and I’m thinking about subscribing. However, I’m wondering how often they reuse the various segments they piece together to form workouts and how often they film new content? Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, online, osteopenia, osteoporosis, over 50, wellen program