Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-20, 09:47 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Cathe's Great Glutes

Hello -

Does anyone still use this workout regularly? I am thinking of picking it up as my bum is an area that has been really neglected and needs serious work.

I like the fact that it uses light weights and has different exercises than what are typical in Cathe's workouts.

This workout is a little older and seems to get good reviews, but I am wondering if anyone today still uses it and what their thoughts are.

Thanks
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-20, 02:32 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I have been using it roughly once a week for the last month or so. I love this workout -- just seems like a great combination of moves. I had an injury that I was going physical therapy for. We ended up spending time on my glutes and my core quite a bit, but I think my glutes never really gained back enough strength. I couldn't do Cathe's lower body work without being in a lot of pain. Taiga pointed me to some youtube glute work (which I could probably dig up for you if you think you need that) that really helped me figure out how to activate my glutes better. Then I focused on Great Glutes and now I'm able to do Cathe's other lower body workouts with much heavier weights than I was using (and less pain). All good stuff. At any rate, I'm a fan of Great Glutes, for sure!!
Old 05-23-20, 02:51 PM  
amg

This workout is new to me. I received it in the mail yesterday and did it immediately. I love it! It has such a great variety of exercises and I enjoy using the gliding discs and stability ball. There was no dread for me and I got a nice burn in my glutes and thighs.

I look forward to using it again tomorrow.
Old 05-23-20, 03:09 PM  
fanofladyvols

LOVE this workout and has tons of flexibility because of the premixes!!
You can use the floorwork only or the standing work only or do a mix without a piece of equipment that you're not all that giddy about. You can double it if you're into that kind of thing.

Recently, I have been doing the premix that omits the gliding disc..just prefer it.

Highly recommend!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-20, 03:32 PM  
Hsim

I also have this one but don't love it as much as some of her other ones! I dislike both the slide and glide and stability ball segments. The good thing with Cathe is she always includes a lot of content so I can get a full workout even without using all the sections.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-20, 05:16 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Thanks all for your replies, it is much appreciated!

Part of the reason I am looking at this workout is that my back pain has worsened, and it's largely (I suspect) because my butt muscles are so weak, I know they are. It doesn't help that I sit too much either. I really need to strengthen this area and the lighter weight/body weight exercises appeal to me. I am not sure about the gliding disc section but I am willing to at least try it.

I am hesitant though because it sounds like there are some sections that are a lot of reps which I am not entirely sure that I want. I would likely use the premixes heavily rather than do the workout all at once.

The heavy duty lower body work that I used to do is really not my thing anymore, maybe it will be again but I have to work on strengthening that area before I can think about returning to those sort of workouts. I will do it here and there but usually where there not tons of reps, and a slower pace which is easier to handle.

I will likely pounce on this and give it a go. Thanks again!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-20, 09:57 AM  
fanofladyvols

Taramisu
I am posting some links that Taiga wonderfully passed along that I will continue to share on threads where this comes up because it's so helpful!! (Bee, can speak also on how it's helped her.) One of the greatest things I learned was to roll my hamstrings with a med ball to turn them off to focus on my glutes.

I have also added a YouTube link with exercises you can do unweighted or with bands from the glute guy, Bret Contreras. I highly encourage the use of bands.

Glute work
Guerilla zen fitness
How to balance your glutes start at 6 min mark
https://youtu.be/Rh44DSmJtLw
How hip flexors affect glute activation
https://youtu.be/xOg3pxXrakM

Sample of some glute activation exercises
https://youtu.be/Q8HzN_aC8NI

Brett Contreras glute exercises demonstrated
https://youtu.be/7XrI-jzLh0s

Hope this is helpful to you, too!

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 05-24-20, 11:49 AM  
prettyinpink

Dynamic stretching of hip flexors before glute work has been helpful to me.

It’s been a while since I’ve done Great Glutes, but I do like it. I don’t remember it being especially better for glutes than other lower body’s of Cathe’s, but it does fly by.

Leah Sarago has a free “booty” workout on her Facebook page now that uses only bodyweight and a band. It’s great! She uses some Contreras-inspired stuff in her Glute workouts now, though she always has done a lot of creative bridge work.

Whatever rotation or routine I’m doing, I now add something in for glutes several times per week if what I’m doing doesn’t include it. So, a couple of days of sets of hip thrusts (either barbell or band or both) and lateral band walks or leg lifts. Another day I’ll add single-leg RDLs and some frog pumps or bridges.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-20, 12:17 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
Dynamic stretching of hip flexors before glute work.....

Whatever rotation or routine I’m doing, I now add something in for glutes several times per week if what I’m doing doesn’t include it. So, a couple of days of sets of hip thrusts (either barbell or band or both) and lateral band walks or leg lifts. Another day I’ll add single-leg RDLs and some frog pumps or bridges.
Yup, right after the warmup so I don't forget.
Pretty in pink what are RDL or frog pumps? Don't know those terms.

Old 05-24-20, 01:30 PM  
prettyinpink

Romanian deadlift. One-legged with a dumbbell or dumbbells, but you can also use bodyweight only.

If you google frog pumps there are several variations; google will bring up a bunch of videos.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe legs, glute building, glutes, great glutes