Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-22, 04:58 PM  
Lorelai

(Don't laugh) Chair recommendations for barre and stretching?

Okay, so I don't own any chairs! We have counter height stools and our dining room table has benches. I find myself lacking a sturdy chair that I can use for a barre substitute, as well as for seated workouts and stretching. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I'm not sure if a cheap metal folding chair would be optimal for this purpose? It seems like a more straight backed chair would be preferred. I found this online and it looks pretty good, although it's kind of number that I'd have to buy two. Any thoughts or recommendations? It's a lot easier to use what you have, but I'm not sure which direction to go since I don't have anything that would work, if that makes sense... Oh, and for reference, if it helps with chair back height recommendations, I'm 5'5".

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Stakmore-Se...air/1002871540

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-22, 05:06 PM  
BunnyHop

Not laughing! I'm right there with you.

Some years back I bought a stepstool with a handle kinda like this but I've found that it's not really all that great. The basic idea is okay, but the seat is too small to sit on so I've gotta find some other setup for the workouts that need both a barre and a chair to sit on.

Most of the chairs at my house are too antique and flimsy to serve, and somehow I've never found anything that actually works very well.

Watching this thread with interest.
Old 01-22-22, 05:23 PM  
Sollamyn

I didn't have anything suitable, either, so I bought a sturdy wooden chair with kind of a high back at an antique/collectibles/flea market type of shop for $10.00. You might try that, if you don't mind shopping around. I just happened to get lucky at the first shop I stopped in.

I hope you find something suitable.

Donna
Old 01-22-22, 06:40 PM  
star117

I've been having the same issue. Only have a folding chair from a card table and want something more stable. I found a listing on facebook market that I'm going to look at Monday. Wood Chair for $12. Fingers crossed it's what I have in mind!
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-22, 06:56 PM  
Leonana

I use a metal folding chair. Plus is that I can store it behind the door. The minus is that the back is too short. I don’t do barre often so I make do. I’m still able to use it. I’m 5’8”, but I either bend over more, or spread my legs out further.

I’d search Goodwill for a chair, if I were looking for one. I don’t have much wiggle room in the budget. The chairs from Lowes look nice. And it’s always good to have extra seating if you have people over.
Old 01-22-22, 07:22 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I use a metal folding chair. Plus is that I can store it behind the door.
Same here. I am 5'4", I use it for CS/Essentrics. As Sherry, I don't do barre workouts often either, but it serves in a pinch.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-22, 08:00 PM  
bfit

I also use a metal folding chair, and it works fine. Another inexpensive kind of chair you can buy is the molded plastic chairs meant for outdoor use. They are the kind that you find stacked up in larger hardware stores, the outdoor section of Target, etc. They are heavier than regular aluminum lawn chairs.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-22, 06:58 PM  
Bluebelle

I bought a molded plastic chair for outdoor use like bfit mentions. I got it at Costco for about $20 I think. It looks kind of like the one Jenny uses in her workouts in Essentrics streaming. I use it at work on my lunch breaks. My office chair rolls & that doesn't work too well.

Edit to add here's a link to the Costco chair

https://www.costco.com/lifetime-fold...100475444.html

Last edited by Bluebelle; 01-23-22 at 07:00 PM. Reason: added link
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-22, 07:34 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i used the couch either backside or the seat side.

in callanetics, they show you how to use a coffee table.

although i own a Fluidity barre, i'm too lazy to set it up, so i use the above.

edited to add - we bought this 2-step indoor ladder with a padded top from Ross stores for $25, and it stays put fairly well for barre work - this one is $49 on Amazon but looks exactly like ours. The cool thing is you can also use it to do supported yoga back bends since there's a nice big opening between the padded top and the top step:
https://www.amazon.com/Brookstone-BK...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-22, 07:35 PM  
DCW

I vote for Goodwill but a friend may have an extra chair to gift you. I use a heavy wood kitchen chair. If it was at Goodwill they would pay you to take it.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chair for workouts